29 replies to this topic

#1 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 05:51 PM

Well, now that THE EXPENDABLES 2 is confirmed for release in August 2012, and some promotional artwork and a plot synopsis (containing a major spoiler) have just been revealed, I thought it was time that this movie had its own thread.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/49602

#2 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 09:20 PM

Surprising: I didn't know it was well-regarded enough. Still haven;t got round to the first one. But I thought Stallone said he couldn't take another?

#3 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 10:28 PM

Surprising: I didn't know it was well-regarded enough. Still haven;t got round to the first one. But I thought Stallone said he couldn't take another?

It made money.

Anyway, I guess now he actually has a real career, the Mick couldn't be bothered to show up this time :)

Look, I think we all know what we want to see here. A no holds barred, SLY vs AHNULD fight. Yeah, they're both over the hill and it obviously won't be as good as it could have been had they done such a film in the 80s, but since Ahnuld is now back in the game and apparently looking to do another Terminator, it's pretty much now or never.

Also, Van Damme and Seagal.

#4 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 10:56 PM

Surprising: I didn't know it was well-regarded enough.

THE EXPENDABLES certainly wasn't well-regarded by most critics, but I think the idea was always to spin it out as a B-movie franchise a la THE FAST AND THE FURIOUS or SAW. Presumably Stallone will bow out of the series after this next one and EXPENDABLES 3 will see Jet Li or Dolph Lundgren or Jason Statham or basically someone a bit cheaper than Sly take over as head of the team.

I think THE EXPENDABLES made about $100 million at the U.S. box office (rather more, incidentally, than ROCKY BALBOA or RAMBO) and was Stallone's first genuine Stateside hit (if hardly a smash) since CLIFFHANGER. It's also been a big moneymaker internationally and on DVD.

Still haven;t got round to the first one.

I don't think you'd be overly keen on it, but you may find it a reasonably enjoyable timekiller of a rainy day rental if you keep your expectations low and your mood indulgent.

But I thought Stallone said he couldn't take another?

Rumour has it that he's handing the writing and directing reins on the sequel over to others in order to give himself extra time to get in shape.

#5 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 04:06 AM

I really would rather Rambo V in Mexico. :(

But I'll see E2 for sure. :)

#6 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 04:19 AM

The triumph of hope over experience.

#7 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 10:16 PM

Pithy.

Yeah, I agree with dinovelvet- Sly vs. Arnold would bring in the crowds. Did Arnold play himself in the first one though? I don't know.

#8 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 10:20 PM

Pithy.

Yeah, I agree with dinovelvet- Sly vs. Arnold would bring in the crowds. Did Arnold play himself in the first one though? I don't know.

Officially Ahnuld's character name was "Trench". They should have called him John Matrix just for the hell of it :)

#9 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 10:48 PM

Yeah, I agree with dinovelvet- Sly vs. Arnold would bring in the crowds.

Certainly would. Don't see it happening, though. I doubt that Schwarzenegger will turn up at all in THE EXPENDABLES 2 (which incidentally appears for the time being to be the film's official title).

Rumour has it that Willis will have a much larger role in the sequel, and indeed that he'll be promoted to main villain status, but I'll believe it when I see it. Frankly, I'd imagine that Willis has better things to do, although I expect he'll oblige his old pal Sly by doing another short and uncredited cameo.

Did Arnold play himself in the first one though?

He plays the leader of an unseen rival group of mercenaries vying for the contract that ends up being awarded to Sly and co. It's hinted that he and Stallone were once brothers in arms who had a falling out and became arch enemies.

But, yes, Arnie does essentially play himself. The whole joke, of course, is that he and Stallone were bitter box office and bodybuilding rivals in the 1980s, and Arnie's EXPENDABLES cameo also pokes fun at his alleged presidential ambitions.

Officially Ahnuld's character name was "Trench". They should have called him John Matrix just for the hell of it :)

I'd have preferred him to be Dutch from PREDATOR. This would have allowed him to quote a couple of that film's immortal lines, e.g. "We're a rescue team, not assassins." :)

#10 dodge

dodge

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5068 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 07:32 PM

Here's hoping Sly doesn't direct this baby. While I was one of the hugest supports of TE1, I found his direction largely uninspired...and in a couple of spots--e.g., the non-fight between Li and Lungren--criminally negligent. Get in shape, Sly, and let someone else do the driving.

#11 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 09:18 PM

Simon West (Con Air, The Mechanic, Tomb Raider etc) will direct Expendables 2. Or, perhaps in keeping with the throwback vibe, it should be called The Expendables II - let's bring back the Roman numerals!

#12 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 02:24 AM

Simon West, eh? Yikes.

#13 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 07:12 AM

Simon West, eh? Yikes.

He's alright. I enjoyed The Mechanic as a brisk, no bull action flick. Seems like the kind of director who's as good or bad as the script he's working from. In any case, I think we all know Sly will be 'assistant directing'.

#14 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 12:58 AM

Well, thinking about it, I reckon West's a fine choice. Not a bold choice, by any stretch, but a very solid pick nonetheless (for this material, anyway).

He's kind of the EXPENDABLES equivalent of the sort of director Eon would hire during the Brosnan era - a seasoned pro with a fairly varied CV including a couple of solid hits, but no apparent personal vision or signature style. A jobbing hack and a dependable team player. I see him as EXPENDABLES II's Roger Spottiswoode or Michael Apted. Not a director to get excited about, but probably just the right man for the job.

If life is a case of "What you want, what you'd settle for and what you get", then West is definitely a "what you get" pick for EXPENDABLES II. I wanted John McTiernan, would have settled for Renny Harlin, and West is what I've got. Mind you, "what you get" ain't always bad. I never liked CON AIR (although I can understand why people did - may have to give it another go), but the first TOMB RAIDER flick kinda sorta has its moments, and I seem to recall quite liking WHEN A STRANGER CALLS (although I've long forgotten anything about it, despite the fact that I saw it only five years ago). Haven't seen anything else by West.

But, anyway, I trust Stallone. Go West!

And, yes, Roman numerals are essential for the title of a Stallone sequel (slightly suprising but true: this will be the first Sly-starring sequel that isn't a Rocky or Rambo movie). I'll be disappointed if this ends up being called EXPENDABLES 2, or - even worse - a numberless and colon-incorporating affair like, say, THE EXPENDABLES: THE JOB FROM HELL.

#15 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 03:57 AM

I sort of wish they'd went with this guy... but, oh well. :)

#16 Safari Suit

Safari Suit

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5099 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 02:32 PM

According to the Millenium Films website Chuck Norris and JCVD are going to be in The Expendables 2 along with semi-famous newbie Scott Adkins. I'd wait for a press release before counting on it though.

#17 dodge

dodge

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5068 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 03:24 PM

It's gotta be time to start showing some love for king of all new franchises. Twelve months away? Come one, come all!

Stallone, in IMDb, has been given third billing...which seems to confirm Loomis' gloomy predictions of the great man's phasing out. And the cast of Names is already so large that we blink we'll miss a cameo. But there's no helping it: I'm excited!

#18 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 04:23 PM

I still have to see the first one...

#19 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 12:40 PM

Stallone confirms Jean-Claude van Damme and Chuck Norris will be in THE EXPENDABLES 2, and suggests Nicolas Cage and John Travolta could join the cast.

Now, if only the film has a decent script this time ...

#20 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 10:45 PM

According to the Millenium Films website Chuck Norris and JCVD are going to be in The Expendables 2 along with semi-famous newbie Scott Adkins. I'd wait for a press release before counting on it though.

And according to Sly himself, "We’ll have a big showdown between me and Van Damme".

I believe this is a film I will be seeing. And I'm definitely curious as to how the 71(!) year old Chuck Norris is going to function in this thing.

#21 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 11:08 PM

This movie will make my head explode just for the sheer awesomeness of this cast. The question that needs to be asked is will Chuck Norris allow the rest of the cast to survive?

#22 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 04:28 PM

What the first film really suffered from was the lousy score(in addition to other things of course). Comon guys, throw in some extra $ and get it right.

#23 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 11:00 AM

Unfortunately, a stunt man has been killed and another seriously injured while filming in Bulgaria:

http://news.ninemsn....led-in-bulgaria

#24 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 04:26 AM

More testosterone!

(And unless Jet Li has grown his hair out, there's a little bit of estrogen in there, too.)

Posted Image

Kind of looks like one of those classic hand-drawn posters ... though I think the poster for the first film was better.

#25 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 04:48 AM

can't wait.

#26 Safari Suit

Safari Suit

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5099 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 10:09 AM

Norris's expresion really hasn't changed in about 20 years. Really quite impressive.

#27 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 01:59 PM

It's a great poster, but isn't Arnie supposed to be in the film for just a couple of minutes, like last time? If so, making him the second most prominent person on the poster after Sly would seem to smack of false advertising. Is Bruce's role in EXPENDABLES 2 all that big, either?

Then again, is this poster the genuine article? If you look at all the names at the bottom, it seems as though someone's created them by running their fingers up and down a keyboard at random, e.g. Screenplay by HUEHU ADUHDHEWRH, Directed by SUYSDGHS DBERBENHK.

#28 00Twelve

00Twelve

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7706 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 11:22 PM

My favorite comment on that poster came from some talkbacker on Ain't It Cool, saying "That should be the next American flag."

#29 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 02:16 AM

Norris's expresion really hasn't changed in about 20 years. Really quite impressive.

That's because Chuck's face is carved from granite :)

It's a great poster, but isn't Arnie supposed to be in the film for just a couple of minutes, like last time? If so, making him the second most prominent person on the poster after Sly would seem to smack of false advertising. Is Bruce's role in EXPENDABLES 2 all that big, either?

Their role are said to be bigGER, and at least here they're toting guns so that bodes well.

Then again, is this poster the genuine article? If you look at all the names at the bottom, it seems as though someone's created them by running their fingers up and down a keyboard at random, e.g. Screenplay by HUEHU ADUHDHEWRH, Directed by SUYSDGHS DBERBENHK.

I assume this is some kind of leaked poster that hasn't been through final approval yet. There will be issues with final crediting of producers and writers etc, as well as star billing (I'm betting JCVD wants his name in big letters).

More testosterone!

(And unless Jet Li has grown his hair out, there's a little bit of estrogen in there, too.)

It appears to be a lass by the name of Nan Yu. I guess 'EX2' has gone the Token Chick route.

#30 00Twelve

00Twelve

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7706 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 10:13 PM

I'm bummed not to see Mick returning, but at least it means they won't be killing him off.