Posted 02 May 2011 - 03:15 PM

Posted Image

The True Adventures of the World's Greatest Stuntman
My Life As Indiana Jones, James Bond, Superman and other movie heroes
by Vic Armstrong with Robert Sellers
Introduction by Steven Spielberg
352 Pages, 195 Photos

Reviewed by Charles Helfenstein

With a title like "True Adventures of the World's Greatest Stuntman", one wonders if there might be a fair bit of bravado and bragging in the biography of stuntman, stunt arranger, and 2nd unit director Vic Armstrong.

I am happy to report that those fears are unfounded: Armstrong gives an incredibly candid and informative look at his rise from steeplechase jockey to the amazing heights of his remarkable career: performing, arranging and directing stunts for the titans of action cinema: Terminator, Rambo, Superman, Indiana Jones, Mission: Impossible and the wellspring of the action blockbuster: James Bond.

Far from being just a chronicle of his career, Armstrong shares insights into film making, gives credit to those he learned from, and provides hilarious tales of insane directors and a peek at the hard-partying life stuntmen are known for.

Posted Image

What shines through the book most is Armstrong's humanity and decency in an industry that has both in short supply. As he recounts his fights to make his profession safer, keep his injured stuntmen on the payroll, and even for his efforts make sure his beloved horses are treated properly, it becomes clear why Armstrong isn't just one of the most technically proficient stunt arrangers, but also among the most respected.

Coauthor Robert Sellers did more than just record Armstrong's memories - he also got contributions from, among others, Steven Spielberg, George Lucas, Martin Scorsese, Arnold Swarzenegger, Harrison Ford, Christopher Lee, Pierce Brosnan, and Eon producers Barbara Broccoli and Michael Wilson, so the reader is treated to what other industry heavyweights recall from their time working with Vic and why he has risen to the top.

Posted Image

Film fans don't just love behind the scenes stories, they also enjoy contemplating the "What if's?" and this book delivers, as Armstrong shares agonizing decisions when he has had to choose between multiple film offers, and he also provides fascinating glimpses at film projects that died on the vine, such as Joe Carnahan's Mission: Impossible 3 with Scarlett Johansson, complete with photos of stunt tests the actress performed before the film was scrapped and later rebooted by JJ Abrams a year later.

Vic Armstrong loves making films and this book shows why. What I enjoyed most about it was that it wasn't just a look at stunts but the entire film making process - it is almost a film school course in book form. From location scouting to fan descenders (which won Vic his OscarTM) to why Martin Scorsese prefers shooting from high angles, this book is a treasure trove of movie making information.

Posted Image

45 years after descending into the volcano as the first Ninja in You Only Live Twice, Vic Armstrong and his company (which now includes his sons and daughters) are still at the forefront of the stunt industry with guns blazing, with films like Thor and The Amazing Spiderman due in theatres this year and next. Read The True Adventures of the World's Greatest Stuntman and enjoy the incredible journey of the man one can safely say is the world's greatest stuntman.

Posted Image

Order The True Adventures of the World's Greatest Stuntman from Amazon UK or Amazon US.

#2 Goodnight

Goodnight

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1917 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 06:46 PM

Looks reallly cool :D

#3 TheSaint

TheSaint

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3067 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 07:34 PM

I've been waiting for this book to come out since reading the excerpts in Cinema Retro but after reading this review I'm definitely getting it!

#4 mccartney007

mccartney007

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3406 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 02:56 AM

Great review. I'm looking forward to the book. I was supposed to meet up with Vic while he was in LA shooting Spiderman, but we never got a chance to meet up. He's how shooting in New York.