9 replies to this topic

#1 iBond

iBond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 07:57 PM

Check out this rare interview with Dalton in Key West during the filming of Licence to Kill. http://www.mi6-hq.co...?t=&s=&id=02840

#2 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 01:43 AM

He brought up Sly Stallone! It's offical: Loomis™ is Timothy Dalton! :o

#3 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 12:26 PM

LOL. Well, he's absolutely right:

"Man should be able to identify himself with his heroes," he said. "a hero has to be the same as you, but capable of being able to pull something special out when he needs to. When Rambo started, he was in one sense a victim - so you could relate to him as a hero. The first 'Rambo' was actually a good movie. And Rocky was an underdog, put upon by the forces of society. Of course, the Bond films have become an institution, a ritual. But I'd like to capture that extra audience, beyond the usual Bond crowd, because it's a good film."

The following bit surprised me:

"I went into this with my eyes wide open, having turned it down twice before," he said.

I didn't know that Dalton had turned down the role of Bond on two occasions before changing his mind and accepting the part.

I was aware that he'd been under consideration (to whatever degree of seriousness) before THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS, but not that he'd actually been offered the part.

#4 Royal Dalton

Royal Dalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4542 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 01:00 PM

I expect the first one he's referring to is On Her Majesty's Secret Service. Not that he was actually offered the role. But he probably turned down an audition for it.

The second time was in 1979, and he turned it down then because he didn't want to make the kind of Bond film they were making at the time.

As for the Rambo thing, like I said in another thread, Ted Kotcheff was approached to direct the 1991 Bond film, and that was probably because Dalton was a big fan of First Blood.

#5 iBond

iBond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 01:07 PM

As for the Rambo thing, like I said in another thread, Ted Kotcheff was approached to direct the 1991 Bond film, and that was probably because Dalton was a big fan of First Blood.

I'm a good friend of the Kotcheff's and inn 1995 I went to a party at Ted's house and Timothy Dalton was there. So it's funny that you mention this.

#6 Royal Dalton

Royal Dalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4542 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 02:36 PM

Oh, that's interesting. Such a missed opportunity that film. Much more than Dalton not doing GoldenEye.

#7 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 05:11 PM

I'm a good friend of the Kotcheff's and inn 1995 I went to a party at Ted's house and Timothy Dalton was there. So it's funny that you mention this.

Ted Kotcheff is 80.

According to your CBN info you are 24 years of age.

Which in 1995 would have made you, erm, 8 or 9.

Do you need to recheck your dates. Or facts?

Just a passing observation.

#8 iBond

iBond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 06:19 PM

Okay, your point? I was 8 years old and I still met Dalton. And if you want to go there, I went to school with his (Kotcheff's) kids and my parents were good friends of them (Ted and Laifun Kotcheff). So, thanks for the observation but I can remember what I did when I was 8.

Edited by iBond, 01 May 2011 - 06:23 PM.

#9 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 06:29 PM

Okay, your point? I was 8 years old and I still met Dalton. And if you want to go there, I went to school with his kids and my parents were good friends of them. So, thanks for the observation but I can remember what I did when I was 8.

Well, as you are not that removed from 8 years old now, I can see why you can remember meeting Tim over the jello(y) and ice cream. Trust Tim, who was probably still not a dad at that time, wasn't hanging out with the kids, tho?

Just not the initial image I had from your post, until I checked further, of a close friend of the director of Rambo like you meeting the best James Bond bar none at an LA party, that's all.

Still. The memory's there for you. My parents parties consisted of far duller folk. :tup:

#10 iBond

iBond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 06:48 PM

Okay, your point? I was 8 years old and I still met Dalton. And if you want to go there, I went to school with his kids and my parents were good friends of them. So, thanks for the observation but I can remember what I did when I was 8.

Well, as you are not that removed from 8 years old now, I can see why you can remember meeting Tim over the jello(y) and ice cream.

Just not the initial image I had from your post, until I checked further, of a close friend of the director of Rambo like you meeting the best James Bond bar none at an LA party, that's all.

Still. The memory's there for you. My parents parties consisted of far duller folk. :tup:

Right, being 24 is just like being 8. You have jobs, finish school and...lol! But yeah, it was definitely interesting to meet him for the brief second. Mind you, this was when Brosnan was stepping in as Bond and so I had no idea who Dalton was haha! So, in that sense I guess you are right.