92 replies to this topic

#91 iBond

iBond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 05:59 PM

I found this rare decal for the British premiere of the film.

Posted Image

#92 Stainless Steel Teeth INC

Stainless Steel Teeth INC

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 145 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 08:16 PM

There have been some excellent opinions on the merits & failings of the LTK campaign and I wonder if any matched what was said in the EON/UA offices after the release back in 89?

I do think in this case the ad campaign (on both sides of the Atlantic) was less than inspired and did have an affect on the box-office. While movie posters have less impact on 'perception' in todays age of internet/multi platform marketing, back in the 80's they were still regarded as a primary visual tool that helped sell the concept to a potential audience. In many cases they provided some of the earliest indications of what was to come, create excitement and hopefully build the all important 'word of mouth'.

Where I feel LTK failed is that the entire campaign lacked identity and simply looked jaded, maybe even 'uncool'. As has already been said, the summer of 1989 was (and still ranks) as one of the most competitive on record. Warner Bros produced one of the finest (and most aggressive) campaigns with Batman whose chief benefactor was Warner's other summer release (and chief LTK competition) Lethal Weapon 2. Double page ad's featured both films and the buzz was incredible. Factor in the other major releases (esp Indiana Jones) who all promoted 'bigger & better' and you get a situation where LTK lacked swagger, something you couldn't say about previous Bond films.

Had the film been released later in the year then the situation might have been better (even with the same ad campaign) but as I originally stated the marketing was lacklustre and failed to build sufficient expectation which is always the primary goal in getting people into the cinemas.

Edited by Stainless Steel Teeth INC, 04 July 2011 - 08:20 PM.

#93 Ozzman313

Ozzman313

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 122 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 09:13 PM

So does anyone have some good scans or prints of the rejected art?