James bond was very human in Goldfinger

7 replies to this topic

#1 bondfisher007

bondfisher007

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 36 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 04:13 PM

He failed to save 2 women and he was showing fear on the laser table and he was panicking while trying to disable the bomb. I really liked the way bond was talking himself out of situations. He wasn't a hero in this movie he used his logic the best

#2 FLEMINGFAN

FLEMINGFAN

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 05:57 PM

He failed to save 2 women and he was showing fear on the laser table and he was panicking while trying to disable the bomb. I really liked the way bond was talking himself out of situations. He wasn't a hero in this movie he used his logic the best

I agree. It is probably the most casual and earthy version of him (as opposed to the intense one prior to that and the cocky or bored one after that).

#3 DR76

DR76

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1673 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 10:09 PM

My impression of Bond in GOLDFINGER is very negative. He came off as a sexist and immature frat boy.

#4 Virgosy

Virgosy

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 118 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 09:42 PM

My impression of Bond in GOLDFINGER is very negative. He came off as a sexist and immature frat boy.

And he smiles all the movie long, and he also says a little hello to the prison... James Bond is not really James Bond in this movie... And I've never understood why it's certainly the most famous JB movie, it's very over-rated... uh for me that is !

#5 Agent Sidewinder

Agent Sidewinder

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 48 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 10:20 PM

And he smiles all the movie long, and he also says a little hello to the prison... James Bond is not really James Bond in this movie... And I've never understood why it's certainly the most famous JB movie, it's very over-rated... uh for me that is !

Who is James Bond to you, then, Virgosy? Please be aware that your answer may not always be concordant with those of other Bond fans.

#6 Virgosy

Virgosy

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 118 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 10:34 AM

Who is James Bond to you, then, Virgosy? Please be aware that your answer may not always be concordant with those of other Bond fans.

Yes, I admit, but we are on a forum, we can discuss, it's made for it. Firstly, I think that each of us has a different vision of "the" James Bond. Some of us will say that Sean Connery in Goldfinger is the perfect James Bond, very glamour, others will prefer From Russia with love, others Roger and the humor, others the modernity of Brosnan, others will prefer Dalton's dark approach (so will I), etc etc... And others hate the movies because they are completly different of the novels. It's a very difficult problem "who is THE James Bond", because everybody has a different point of view. There will always be someone to say that your point of view is half-baked, and his favorite 007 will be the one you have never enjoyed.

Connery plays Bond unwillingly in "You only live twice" for a large majority, but in my opinion, he's at his best. He has the towering physical that James Bond should have. Also in my opinion, Craig does only what Dalton did twenty years before... I like his behaviour as James Bond, but not his physical. I would have prefered Clive Owen, or Hugh Jackman... But I accept that some people think he's the best... Bond is not mine in Goldfinger... He takes the drama out of all the scenes. For instance, when he meets Goldfinger at the golf club, Bond smiles... and also Bond's reaction afetr discovering Jill's body. "My" 007 doesn't react like this, I prefer when he reacts after Saunders' death.

Who is James Bond in my opinion ? Sean in both Dr No and From Russia with love, Roger in For your eyes only, Dalton in both The living daylights and Licence to kill.

#7 Agent Sidewinder

Agent Sidewinder

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 48 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 12:31 PM

Yes, I admit, but we are on a forum, we can discuss, it's made for it. Firstly, I think that each of us has a different vision of "the" James Bond. Some of us will say that Sean Connery in Goldfinger is the perfect James Bond, very glamour, others will prefer From Russia with love, others Roger and the humor, others the modernity of Brosnan, others will prefer Dalton's dark approach (so will I), etc etc... And others hate the movies because they are completly different of the novels. It's a very difficult problem "who is THE James Bond", because everybody has a different point of view. There will always be someone to say that your point of view is half-baked, and his favorite 007 will be the one you have never enjoyed.

Connery plays Bond unwillingly in "You only live twice" for a large majority, but in my opinion, he's at his best. He has the towering physical that James Bond should have. Also in my opinion, Craig does only what Dalton did twenty years before... I like his behaviour as James Bond, but not his physical. I would have prefered Clive Owen, or Hugh Jackman... But I accept that some people think he's the best... Bond is not mine in Goldfinger... He takes the drama out of all the scenes. For instance, when he meets Goldfinger at the golf club, Bond smiles... and also Bond's reaction afetr discovering Jill's body. "My" 007 doesn't react like this, I prefer when he reacts after Saunders' death.

Who is James Bond in my opinion ? Sean in both Dr No and From Russia with love, Roger in For your eyes only, Dalton in both The living daylights and Licence to kill.

Excellent answer. However, I've never quite understood the idea that Bond has to be grim and unsmiling 100% of the time (or most of the time at least), to say nothing of one-liners. It almost seems to be a character trait that's been grafted onto the Fleming version of Bond post-Dalton.

#8 Virgosy

Virgosy

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 118 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 12:56 PM

Excellent answer. However, I've never quite understood the idea that Bond has to be grim and unsmiling 100% of the time (or most of the time at least)[...]

But I also agree with that ! That's even why I don't put Lazenby in my short list of "who are my James Bond". I think On her Majety's secret service is too much "serious" and not enough "light" (and it has others problems in my opinion, but it's not the topic). Even Licence to kill, the most violent movie, shows little moments of lightness, like Bond and Q at the hotel room "I hope you don't snare Q" or Bond looking Pam from the corner of his eye with a little smile after beeing get on board. Very Bondian moment I think !