#331 graric

graric

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 172 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 05:17 AM

yahoo 6 september 2013

Roland Emmerich told Yahoo Movies he wants to direct a James Bond film.
He dispelled online rumours that at one point he was to direct ‘Die Another Day’, but said he was keen on the franchise.
“Especially after the last one [‘Skyfall’],” he said, “because they’ve finally have the guts to go in different moods.”
He added: “I think [directing] a classic Bond film, no. But if they would let me do my Bond film the same way they let English director Sam Mendes do his Bond film, then that’d be interesting. Have a word with Barbara Broccoli when you get back.”

I'd be very concerned if they let Roland Emmerich anywhere near the franchise (especially if they gave him the freedom "let him do his Bond movie.") I mean purely in terms of directing ability Mendes is levels above him, and has a far more consistent track record, so it seems alittle absurd from my perspective especially as he seems quite dismissive of the classic Bond films (while Mendes seemed quite reverential of the classic Bond films, and Skyfall certainly had many callbacks to the classics.)

#332 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 07:37 AM

Emmerich directing Bond? Is Uwe Boll busy?

#333 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 09:13 AM

Emmerich directing Bond? Is Uwe Boll busy?

Or Joel Schumacher painting his toenails?

#334 Janus Assassin

Janus Assassin

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1898 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 07:15 PM

For the love of God, do not let him anywhere near the franchise. That being said, I do enjoy some of his films, but unless the producers want Bond going up against climate changing aliens, I wouldn't let him near it. 

#335 AgenttiNollaNollaSeitsemän

AgenttiNollaNollaSeitsemän

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 493 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 11:05 AM

Roland Emmerich (along with Stephen Sommers) is the biggest hack working in Hollywood now. He's someone who should've never been allowed near a movie set.

#336 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 06:41 PM

Roland Emmerich (along with Stephen Sommers) is the biggest hack working in Hollywood now. He's someone who should've never been allowed near a movie set.

I have to disagree!

Emmerich is in a totally different category to Sommers.

Emmerich makes outstanding, big budget B-movies - ID4 is a classic. Sure it's critically sh*te, but tons of fun to watch - well worth the ticket price (as was his original movie Stargate, which spawned the bland tv series).

Sommers on the other hand is on that growing list of commercial/music video hacks that should've stuck to those mediums. High on that list is Bret Ratner and Len Wiseman (of the dull-as-dishwater Total Recall remake). Now these guys shouldn't allowed near any long-form story-telling formats at all.

Emmerich on the other hand should be given free reign to carry on entertaining us with his big fun brand. I hope ID4: 2 gets rolling soon and that his proposed, rebooted Stargate trilogy gets a greenlight. Just don't let the sweet guy anywhere near Bond ;)

#337 dtuba

dtuba

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 02:24 AM

NO, just NO. Emmerich totally c*cked up Godzilla (Fraudzilla, GINO, whatever you want to call it). I will scream bloody murder if he is allowed anywhere near Bond. DAD was bad, but with Emmerich involved it would have been much, much worse.

Edited by dtuba, 14 September 2013 - 02:26 AM.

#338 ChickenStu

ChickenStu

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 01:52 PM

I reckon Justin Lin could be good. Thanks to him, the Fast & Furious movies became better than they deserved to be (especially the last two which are a RIOT!). He knows how to do an action scene, and any man who can coax a good performance out of Paul Walker deserves all the credit he can get. I reckon he could do a damn good Bond film and who knows, maybe he could get his old pal Vin Diesel to join up as the new Blofeld? 

#339 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 04:14 PM

I vote Nooooo to Justin Lin, i'm afraid. Fast & Furious movies are glorified promos for the tweenies - all whizz and no substance.

#340 ChickenStu

ChickenStu

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 07:37 PM

I vote Nooooo to Justin Lin, i'm afraid. Fast & Furious movies are glorified promos for the tweenies - all whizz and no substance.

The 5th & 6th movies in that series are an absolute hoot! They depart from the formula of the previous four and I would go as far to say they have considerable critical merit in their own right. Well worth a watch if you haven't seen them, you may find yourself pleasantly surprised. There is actually a hint of character development in those ones. Now, whether or not that is successful depends on how discerning the viewer is. Any faults therein however are not the fault of Lin, and down to the screenwriters. Given a good script, Lin is capable of a lot. He's a good film maker. I think a Bond movie would be in very safe hands with him. He's got the goods. 

#341 x007AceOfSpades

x007AceOfSpades

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4369 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 10:35 PM

Justin Lin has directed nothing but Fast & Furious for the greater part of his career (save for other films in between). The only good film of his career is Fast Five, and that's saying much. It doesn't take much writing skill to write those films and it doesn't take much skill to direct them too, since they've become almost Michael Bay-esque now. There is absolutely NO character development in the fifth or sixth films at all. While the fifth film moves to a heist style, it's enjoyable and breaths fresh air into the franchise. The sixth film tries to do it again, but the lazy writing, poor direction, and lazy action scenes make it another "summer action film." The faults do lie on him as well, as it's his job as the director to read the script and see something that doesn't stick to well and ask the writer to make changes. 

Lin will never come close to a meeting for a director's chair at a Bond film, especially after his latest outing, Fast & Furious 6.

#342 Hansen

Hansen

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 431 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 07:11 AM

Strangely, no 'new comer' comes to my mind.

My dream would be the next Bond to be McTiernam come-back.

I would also be very interested to see what Cuaron could do with the franchise.

And of course, Campbell is welcome anytime he wants

#343 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 10:27 AM

Strangely, no 'new comer' comes to my mind.

My dream would be the next Bond to be McTiernam come-back.

I would also be very interested to see what Cuaron could do with the franchise.

And of course, Campbell is welcome anytime he wants

McTiernan is my dream also. But i'd like to see him get his mojo back on something other than Bond once John's released from prison. And obviously Eon wouldn't give him a shot at Bond until he'd proven he's still capable.

He went slightly off-pistse before his incarceration with the howler Rollerball. But i think that the dismally dull, cliched, blandness of Die Hard 4 & 5 have proven (by his absence) that McTiernan was the main player in Die Hard's original success.

Add to that The Hunt for Red October, The Thomas Crown Affair  and of course the other action masterpiece that is the original  Predator  and it's easy to suggest that McTiernan may in fact be the best action-movie director of all time (OK, along with James Cameron).

McTiernan is so good because his action doesn't put intimacy with the characters on hold while the action takes place - instead we feel even closer to them as it happens - he creates space in the action for the actors to act. That's very rare indeed these days now that action has come to resemble a video game with the characters used like third-person avatars jumping and ducking and shooting.

There's a Facebook petition for the maestro's release:

Free John McTiernan | Facebook

Sure justice has to be served, but there's no harm in showing that his freedom may be in the public interest (at least that of movie fans)

As for Cuaron!  Well, Eon would be very lucky to snag him right now with the plaudits Gravity is receiving. But since it'll be a while before we need to think beyond Mendes it may well become a reality in the long term (which has been more or less accepted RE Christopher Nolan).

I'd guess that top of Eon's (and every other Producer's) wish list right now are Cuaron and Nolan.  By coincidence or design Nolan's next movie is also a space affair - Interstellar, which i'm sure will turn out to be stunning, if nothing else.

Edited by Odd Jobbies, 05 October 2013 - 01:34 PM.

#344 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 11:46 AM

100% agreed.  There's is nothing in his work as the director of the ridiculous Fast & Furious films that would suggest that he could turn in a mediocre, never mind great, Bond film.