He did not care about the females

11 replies to this topic

#1 bondfisher007

bondfisher007

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 36 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 04:39 PM

This is what I like about Timothy Dalton. The mission was more important than the females. What do you think?

#2 univex

univex

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 08:10 PM

This is what I like about Timothy Dalton. The mission was more important than the females. What do you think?

Follow Steve Backshall as he uncovers the worlds deadliest animals for BBC Wild

Seriously now...females?

#3 Virgosy

Virgosy

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 118 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 08:20 PM

I don't think so, even so it would move him closer to Fleming's Bond.

#4 AMC Hornet

AMC Hornet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5857 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 02:23 AM

I think Dalton's Bond expressed genuine affection and admiration for Kara. He didn't waste any emotion on Lupe -she was always going to be trouble, but she did make Pam look even more appealing in comparison. Not that Pam was someone Bond would stay with for long either, but man, those eyes (and other soft round parts)!

Edited by AMC Hornet, 16 March 2011 - 02:26 AM.

#5 iBond

iBond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 05:52 PM

Yeah, I think Dalton's Bond has the most affection for Kara out of the other girls. She was his special one and not just a throw away...although I wonder what happened to her after he left New York...If Dalton had made a third film, it would be interesting if Kara came back into the picture. I would have loved to see that.

#6 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 06:11 PM

I actually find TLD to be the most romantic film of the series. The main reason for this is that Bond and Kara are in a situation together and Bond actually romances her. The dress, the carnival etc. In both OHMSS and CR, the romance just sort of happens, we don't really see the build up to them falling in love.

#7 Jump James

Jump James

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 293 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 07:26 PM

I actually find TLD to be the most romantic film of the series. The main reason for this is that Bond and Kara are in a situation together and Bond actually romances her. The dress, the carnival etc. In both OHMSS and CR, the romance just sort of happens, we don't really see the build up to them falling in love.

Indeed. Could not have said it better. :tup:

#8 iBond

iBond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 08:48 PM

So true! I mean, they attempt to build up the scene with the Louis Armstrong theme "We Have All The Time In The World" playing, but yeah it seems rushed. But with The Living Daylights, it is played out very well. You're so right. Well said.

#9 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 05:05 AM

I remember seeing TLD and wondering if Kara wouldn't be missed in the next film. I never doubted she would not return but that build-up of the romance was much more like a classic love film than the usual Bond stuff, even down to the part where Bond cares for her against himself. Bond cannot really trust her, must suspect she's in on Koskov's scheme somehow (and she is!) but he still recognises her as basically an innocent victim caught in the works. And perhaps cares even more for her for it.

#10 elizabeth

elizabeth

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2285 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 07:15 AM

Been a while, but I recall TLD to be very romantic.

#11 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 11:00 AM

Dalton's Bond was very much one on one. Predatory. He presents a tough exterior to the majority of people because he doesn't have time for garbage. I imagine he would seek out others with similar character traits and ideologies. He's looking for a genuine connection and someone to trust. But as we know, that's few and far between. If you can get in, there'd be no-one nicer or more intensely committed.

#12 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 01:28 PM

Dalton's Bond was very much one on one. Predatory. He presents a tough exterior to the majority of people because he doesn't have time for garbage. I imagine he would seek out others with similar character traits and ideologies. He's looking for a genuine connection and someone to trust. But as we know, that's few and far between. If you can get in, there'd be no-one nicer or more intensely committed.

I agree there, Dalton's Bond seems on the lookout for something that basically doesn't exist - or is so rare as makes no difference. But much of this is only implied and not really seen in the two films. So it's interesting here that neither Kara nor Pam seem to fit that particular mould. Kara not at all (she's more the innocent-bystander type and much too naive) and Pam only up to a point. She is a committed professional, but on a different level and from a different perspective.

I imagine the break with Kara came after the third or so call from headquarters, while she was on world tour and met that famously talented young conductor who was after her for a year already and later became principal conductor of the LSO.

The break with Pam probably came when Bond got the assignment to wipe out a bunch of arms dealers. Which happened to be a black ops mission of the pick-your-three-American-letters-and-it's-not-*ss. Bond accomplished his mission. Pam didn't.