This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Anything still unused from a novel that could be used in Bond 23?

41 replies to this topic

#31 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts
  • Location:"Special envoy" no more. As of 7/5/15 elected to office somewhere in Nottinghamshire, England.

Posted 11 March 2011 - 04:03 PM

Garden of death.

And pretty much all of the rest of YOLT, too. The Magic 44 subplot could easily be reinvented as something more relevant and modern.

Also there's a lot from DAF - the Saratoga scenes, Bond in 'Spectreville' but that's a bit weird.

About YOLT, certainly. Under a different title though. Just name the villain Shatterhand throughout, without reverting to Blofeld (unless, of course, the intention is at some point for Blofeld to be "rebooted" like Bond, with Quantum transforming into SPECTRE, something I thought was plausible right from the start of the Craig era).

As well as the Garden of Death, chuck in the Bond -v- squid scene from Dr No, and that hideous death scene from The Hildebrand Rarity. Oh, and a bit of brainwashing as Bond tries and fails to bump off M (TMWTGG - the book).

And lets see if we can get that little mix past the censors! :)

#32 mttvolcano

mttvolcano

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 396 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 10:00 PM

It would be an interesting concept to have Bond on like a cruise ship, of course, partially borrowed from The Hildebrand Rarity.

#33 00Twelve

00Twelve

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7706 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 08:39 AM

Also there's a lot from DAF - the Saratoga scenes, Bond in 'Spectreville' but that's a bit weird.

Agreed, there's quite a bit I'd like to see lifted. Saratoga races, the mud bath, that sequence where Bond blatantly plays for more than he's allowed and then walks right out and gets into a car chase.

And I'd definitely be into the Spectreville sequence given the right writing/directing team and casting choices.

#34 Sebastian Tombs

Sebastian Tombs

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 117 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 08:58 PM

A scene at the Saratoga races could be interesting but also risks seeming anachronistic; horse racing is slowly fading in popularity and a number of tracks have closed or are facing closure. My state used to have about five or six horse tracks; now there's only one still in regular operation and it's struggling.

I don't want to seem a downer; they can do it if they want, but let's just bear in mind that horse racing in the U.S. isn't what it used to be.

#35 Tybre

Tybre

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3057 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 11:24 PM

Quite a bit from quite a few of the books. I'm still holding out hope for unused bits from LALD and YOLT.

#36 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 11:18 PM

I would really like to see the James Bond character take a break for a while and let some other characters be seen running MI6. EON should really expand the brand; they could include female agents, agents of different race or ethnicity and then they would have to alter James Bond.

Thank you but no. I watch James Bond films for James Bond. True, I was kinda disappointed when the JINX film got cancelled, because I was extremely curious to see how it turned out, but I think that ship has sailed.

#37 TheREAL008

TheREAL008

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1190 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 11:55 PM

A Felix Leiter movie might be cool...

#38 Sebastian Tombs

Sebastian Tombs

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 117 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 12:27 AM

Bond and Tracy cross paths, fall in love, defeat evil villain, and get married at the end, and which point she is murdered and we get another chance to go back through that poignant, heart-felt scene, only this time done better.

Have Bond fall in love again, and have his heart broken again, so soon after Vesper in CR? No no no no no no no no no no no no no no no.........

Naturally, it's been a while time-wise, but if you look at from a viewpoint of the movies' timeline, we can't have Bond falling in love and then tragically losing the woman he loves and being heartbroken in literally every other movie.

#39 TheREAL008

TheREAL008

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1190 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 03:06 PM

True. If the intention is to reintroduce Tracy, it may have to be after Daniel's tenure, sadly.

Edited by TheREAL008, 24 March 2011 - 05:29 PM.

#40 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 03:35 PM

I strongly doubt we'll see a modern version of Tracy, Blofeld, Spectre or the other villains. That would call for an outright remake and Eon's game are not the outright remakes. Ok, they could decide that they change their game any time, nothing to stop them from.

But I doubt it. ;)

#41 TheREAL008

TheREAL008

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1190 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 05:33 PM

I don't believe it would be a bad idea, or even wouldn't hurt. Aside from QoS, it might be a perfect opportunity to have the films in proper sequence. Starting with Live and let Die down to potentially Octopussy. Each of the novels could work in a modern retelling with some original elements mixed in.

It'll never happen unfortunately. :(

#42 SamuelKevlar

SamuelKevlar

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 836 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 10:28 PM

CR worked (if indeed it did work) because it used material that had never been used properly before. Killing Tracy again or having Blofeld at the head of QUANTUM/SPECTRE would taste like a retread and invite comparisons to the originals. Bring in unused elements, by all means. The series has been doing that for most of its history. Just make sure the transplants fit organically into the new story you're telling.

The new Star Trek changed in-universe history from the off, so we don't need to await their version of The Trouble With Tribbles. Nolan's Batman movies got away with it, but that's because Batman's always been about character more than plot, and his spin on characters like the Joker are completely different than the original films.