Connery interview after being rehired as Bond

14 replies to this topic

#1 bondfisher007

bondfisher007

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 36 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 04:30 AM

he looks bored in this interview and he is so faking everything. what were the producers thinking?

#2 blueman

blueman

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2219 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 07:10 AM

he looks bored in this interview and he is so faking everything. what were the producers thinking?

That DAF would make almost twice as much as OHMSS?

#3 sthgilyadgnivileht

sthgilyadgnivileht

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1854 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 09:42 AM

I think for Connery there were bound to be pros and cons when he returned for DAF, and the cons for Connery were probably giving interviews such as this. I don't think you can question the producers decision to bring back Connery after Lazenby's departure. It had to be done to sustain the longevity of the series.

#4 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 02:35 PM

I don't see him as bored really. He actually smiles and his answers are somewhat thoughtful. I've seen him give some in which he practically frowns the whole time.

He's never seemed that engaged in most interviews I've seen him give in all phases of his career. It's a part of his job, but obviously one he doesn't enjoy, but I don't see him as standoffish here the way he has been at times.

#5 Rufus Ffolkes

Rufus Ffolkes

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 297 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 10:07 PM

I don't think he seems bored here either, but then I don't understand the criticisms of his performance in DAF. I think he's very good in the film and seems to be much more engaged and having a lot more fun with the role than he did in YOLT.

#6 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 03:06 PM

I don't think he seems bored here either, but then I don't understand the criticisms of his performance in DAF. I think he's very good in the film and seems to be much more engaged and having a lot more fun with the role than he did in YOLT.

I agree, I also don't understand the criticisms of his DAF performance. Of course, a lot of that goes along with the whining about DAF not being a "proper" follow-up to OHMSS.

Connery seems very laid back and I'm sure as an actor it was a little different for him to take that approach with the character rather than playing up the suave or tough side as much, although those are there too. Hey, not a great stretch but also not like the experience he had on YOLT that may have contributed to his lack of enthuasiam.

It's part of the reason I like DAF more than many fans do.

#7 iBond

iBond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 10:34 PM

He is being honest. He is telling the truth. The way and how he says it is another story.

#8 Garth007

Garth007

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 598 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 10:50 PM

The more interviews I see of Sean Connery I just don't like him as a person. I don't know i think its the attitude he presents when doing the interview. Now He was a fantastic bond don't get me wrong, but as a person he seemed a little off to me.

#9 MarkA

MarkA

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 09:53 AM

The more interviews I see of Sean Connery I just don't like him as a person. I don't know i think its the attitude he presents when doing the interview. Now He was a fantastic bond don't get me wrong, but as a person he seemed a little off to me.

At that time celebrity interviewing seemed very primitive. They seem to ask the most inane questions and for someone like Connery (who admittedly doesn't suffer fools gladly) it makes it hard work to come up with credible answers. Interviewing these days is much more sophisticated and tailored to its subject matter.
But as a side to your opinion of Connery I saw him way back in 1983 at the National Film Theatre being interviewed and answering questions from the audience and he was relaxed and extremely witty and more than ready to deflate his own image.

#10 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 02:05 PM

Consider the following:

1. Connery hates journalists, considering them privacy invading scum, other than those who think his performance in THE OFFENCE is the greatest piece of screen acting by anyone, ever. (Who he actually DOES like except fans of THE OFFENCE, sycophantic golfers and Scottish Nationalists is equally hard to equate)

2. He has a low opinion of the character James Bond and Fleming's achievements with it, and, after all, Bond and Fleming between them stopped him having the same type of career as, say, Richard Burton or Albert Finney, didn't they? (He believes this because he was told it many times by his svengali, Terence Young, the well known auteur.)

3. He hates EON for - apparently - financially shafting him (though, as he states here, he has no interest in money, well £100,000,000 anyway...)

Just a mentally [censored]ed-up movie star, really, then, so what do you expect?

#11 Col. Sun

Col. Sun

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 427 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 02:17 PM

At that time celebrity interviewing seemed very primitive. They seem to ask the most inane questions and for someone like Connery (who admittedly doesn't suffer fools gladly) it makes it hard work to come up with credible answers. Interviewing these days is much more sophisticated and tailored to its subject matter.
But as a side to your opinion of Connery I saw him way back in 1983 at the National Film Theatre being interviewed and answering questions from the audience and he was relaxed and extremely witty and more than ready to deflate his own image.

Many years ago, in 1984, when I was a young runner working at Pinewood Studios, one of my tasks was to collect all the coffee paper cups and left over sandwiches from Theatre 7 after the crew had watched the daily rushes (the footage shot on the previous day). I was always in a rush - had too many jobs to do - hence the name "runner". Anyway, I had a pile of cups filled with the left overs of coffee and I came charging out of the theatre, without properly looking, and crashed straight into a guy, knocking the cups over him and spilling coffee down his trousers. Totally embarrassed, I looked up to apologize and found myself staring at the man himself, Sean Connery! I was totally speechless - plus I felt dwarfed by him. I'm 6' 2" but I felt like Connery was towering over me. Anyway, I expected him to tear into me, but he didn't, he was totally cool and, if anything, I think he felt a bit sorry for me. With luck, in Theatre 7 Block there are toilets opposite the theatre, so Connery just went inside and wiped down his trousers and even offered a paper towel to me to wipe my coffee soaked hands.

All I can say is that Connery was completely friendly when he could have been totally pissed off.

I think he takes people as he finds them.

#12 Garth007

Garth007

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 598 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 04:57 PM

Thats true back then interviews were different back then. It seemed as if the interviewer didn't know how to ask the right questions and now today they know how to and most of the time when to. I feel inlightened lol

#13 Royal Dalton

Royal Dalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4542 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 06:23 PM

He seems alright to me. Connery's quite a shy man, and he probably comes across as being a bit awkward in interviews because of it.

The interviewer's the late Sheridan Morley (Robert Morley's son). I expect Connery would have known him already.

Lovely anecdote, Col. Sun. :tup:

#14 0077

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 57 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 07:04 PM

I get the feeling that Sean treated Bond with detachment from the beginning. Not just in Bond but in other roles as well. He seem to posses a coolness about the characters he plays and not giving much thought about them when his time on set is over.

#15 Jump James

Jump James

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 293 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 08:53 PM

2. He has a low opinion of the character James Bond and Fleming's achievements with it, and, after all, Bond and Fleming between them stopped him having the same type of career as, say, Richard Burton or Albert Finney, didn't they? (He believes this because he was told it many times by his svengali, Terence Young, the well known auteur.)

Thats an interesting aspect to consider David, ref Flemings achievements. What's Connery gone on record saying about Fleming's achievements? Called him a Snob. Fair point maybe, never met either. Thats all I can recall at the moment.