This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Connection between OHMSS and "The Ipcress File"?

7 replies to this topic

#1 Aris007

Aris007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3037 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 09:56 PM

I've just finished watching "The Ipcress File" and couldn't miss the rather obvious connection between Blofeld's method to program his "Angel's of Death" and the experiment Harry Palmer was treated in the film. Now I know that "The Ipcress File" was filmed earler than OHMSS, but I haven't read Fleming's book to be honest so I can't really tell who originally thought this and who followed it.

Any ideas?

#2 MajorB

MajorB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3700 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 10:52 PM

The Deighton novel was published a year before Fleming's novel, but brainwashing was a big Cold War theme already. For example, the novel The Manchurian Candidate preceded both of them. So I don't know that you can establish any causality there.

#3 sthgilyadgnivileht

sthgilyadgnivileht

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1854 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 09:36 AM

For what it's worth there is a camera set up in Ipcress file that Peter Hunt borrowed for OHMSS. Watch the scene midway through in Ipcress where they are in the office listening to the tape and then the scene in OHMSS where Blofeld is loading the cassettes in PIz Gloria with Grunther.

#4 Col. Sun

Col. Sun

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 427 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 10:30 AM

For what it's worth there is a camera set up in Ipcress file that Peter Hunt borrowed for OHMSS. Watch the scene midway through in Ipcress where they are in the office listening to the tape and then the scene in OHMSS where Blofeld is loading the cassettes in PIz Gloria with Gumbold.

Yes, Peter Hunt was obviously very inspired by Ipcress File's visual style, camera work and framing -- low angles, large objects in the F/G (I love the low shot of Moneypenny in pre-title sequence with the chair in the f/g,) plus long lens work for action scenes like the beach fight, very subjective camera work too - there are many examples. Hunt clearly studied Iprecess File, probably keen to mirror the earlier film's more authentic and gritty style. It worked a treat because I think OHMSS is one of the most stylish Bond films in terms of the camera work and the brilliant editing.

#5 007 Magazine

007 Magazine

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 56 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 06:24 PM

For what it's worth there is a camera set up in Ipcress file that Peter Hunt borrowed for OHMSS. Watch the scene midway through in Ipcress where they are in the office listening to the tape and then the scene in OHMSS where Blofeld is loading the cassettes in PIz Gloria with Gumbold.

Yes, Peter Hunt was obviously very inspired by Ipcress File's visual style, camera work and framing -- low angles, large objects in the F/G (I love the low shot of Moneypenny in pre-title sequence with the chair in the f/g,) plus long lens work for action scenes like the beach fight, very subjective camera work too - there are many examples. Hunt clearly studied Iprecess File, probably keen to mirror the earlier film's more authentic and gritty style. It worked a treat because I think OHMSS is one of the most stylish Bond films in terms of the camera work and the brilliant editing.

Peter Hunt didn't study The Ipcress File... he was the EDITOR of The Ipcress File

#6 sthgilyadgnivileht

sthgilyadgnivileht

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1854 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 06:54 PM

Peter Hunt didn't study The Ipcress File... he was the EDITOR of The Ipcress File

Indeed, and the commentary he did on the film with Ipcress director Sidney J Furie is a good insight to Bond, THE IPRCESS FILE, camera set ups and editing etc. Highly recommended.

#7 Col. Sun

Col. Sun

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 427 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 11:51 AM

Yes, of course, I forgot that. So Peter Hunt certainly knew the film inside out and it shows in his approach to OHMSS.

#8 Syndicate

Syndicate

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 05:09 AM

Just wondering what is the The Ipcress File consider a super spy type movie, close to the real world type spy movie or a mix of the two. Never saw it. Will it get another DVD release and a Blu-Ray here in the U.S.. The one that came out during the early years of DVD have been out of print for like six or severn years.