What if Moore....

111 replies to this topic

#31 Perry

Perry

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 36 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 11:23 PM

Hell, I sometimes wish Roger had been Bond from 1962-1987. I wish theye'd have made a reference to Bond aging/change in character, they started this in FYEO and then forgot about it for OP and AVTAK.

#32 00 Brosnan

00 Brosnan

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 12:06 AM

No way. A View to a Kill is already the worst film in the series partially b/c they had to tailor the script and action around Moore's age and made him look like a creepy old dude messing w/ a 20-something girl.

I'd hate to imagine what TLD would have been like with an even older Moore. Albert R Broccoli presents Roger Moore as Ian Flemings James Bond 007 in License for a Hip Replacement.

I enjoy Moore's interpretation of Bond, particularly LALD-FYEO, but he should have been done after Octopussy or even FYEO.

While I was only just born when TLD was released, putting things into perspective I can easily see what a breath of fresh air Timothy Dalton was for the franchise.

Edited by 00 Brosnan, 01 April 2011 - 02:10 AM.

#33 DavidJones

DavidJones

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 347 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 04:13 PM

I think Roger would have looked better if they hadn't lighted his hair to a blondish colour and made him wear those bluer contact lenses (at least, I think they're lenses). Has Roger ever mentioned having gone 'under the knife' at all? It's entirely understanble, of course, as there is always a pressure to look 'handsome' when playing Bond (which is a rule there to pander to the audience's superficiality).

#34 Rufus Ffolkes

Rufus Ffolkes

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 297 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 05:31 PM

No way. A View to a Kill is already the worst film in the series partially b/c they had to tailor the script and action around Moore's age and made him look like a creepy old dude messing w/ a 20-something girl.

See, I think the problem with AVTAK is the exact opposite - the script made no attempt to take Moore's age into account. At least in Octopussy, he was cast opposite an older villain and a (slightly) older leading lady.

#35 00 Brosnan

00 Brosnan

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 06:38 PM

See, I think the problem with AVTAK is the exact opposite - the script made no attempt to take Moore's age into account. At least in Octopussy, he was cast opposite an older villain and a (slightly) older leading lady.

I think it was a little of both (in different areas), but your point is certainly true. It just seems to me like the older the actor, the more camp the movie ultimately becomes. Moore's age isn't as big an issue in Octopussy precisely b/c he was cast opposite other actors and actresses closer to his age as you say.

#36 iBond

iBond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 07:49 AM

It's interesting how A View to a Kill was listed as actually being Moore's final film, yet The Living Daylights was written with him in mind. I guess after several films with him saying it's his final one, they figured it would happen again.

#37 Mr.Zukovsky

Mr.Zukovsky

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 121 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 07:58 AM

Absolutely Not! He was a grandpa in Octopussy and even then he was pushing it, Honestly i dont understand why TLD was offered to Moore, 007 is supposed to be young, mid 30's which by octopussy moore was in his 50's, and I dont know how it would look believable the audience. this is also not a sarcastic answer.

Edited by Mr.Zukovsky, 01 May 2011 - 08:06 AM.

#38 Capsule in Space

Capsule in Space

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 228 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 12:37 AM

i dont understand why TLD was offered to Moore

Because he's awesome!!!! :cooltongue:

#39 MarkD

MarkD

Cadet

• Crew
  • 12 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 03:14 PM

If Moore had done another Bond movie I might have either raised an eyebrow, or done a double-take on the cast list. (I did find it quite amusing, in Moonraker, when Dr. Goodhead says that a 70 year old can take three Gs - I'd have been amused if Moore had said something like "Well, I am nearly!")

Joking aside, as most have said, he was too old by many years. Can you imagine if him and Bibi had gotten it on in FYEO?

Interesting that TLD was written with him in mind. He might've said "salt corrosion" better, but wouldn't have said "stuff my orders" very well at all.

Edited by MarkD, 05 May 2011 - 03:16 PM.

#40 Capsule in Space

Capsule in Space

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 228 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 10:28 PM

They probably would have kept the magic carpet scene for Roger, and probably of given him an exploding genie lamp for good measure!

#41 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 10:39 PM

It's interesting how A View to a Kill was listed as actually being Moore's final film, yet The Living Daylights was written with him in mind. I guess after several films with him saying it's his final one, they figured it would happen again.

If I recall, it was announced shortly before AVTAK was released that it would be Moore's last Bond film (i'm sure I still have some newspaper/magazine clippings that mention that). It was either MGW or Richard Maibaum who stated in an interview that TLD was written without an actual actor in mind, but written as if Roger Moore was in it, not that they actually expected him to be in it.

#42 TCK

TCK

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 341 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 08:12 AM

Well, Moore in The living daylights ?

For pity's sake, no. It's the best Bond film ever, and Dalton is the man. I know The living daylights was written with Moore in mind, but Dalton emphasizes the darkness side of Bond, for instance with Saunder's death and "I got the message.", or also when he asks Pushkin.

Dalton came as a breath of fresh air. Moore would have made The living daylights as a kind of A view to a kill, but worst. Don't get me wrong, I find this movie rather pleasant, although I think it has real defects, but to me The living daylights is perfect (except for one thing : Moneypenny [what the hell was she doing in the Q branch ?], and so is Dalton, so... I can't also imagine Moore acting Bond forever...

The living daylights is the movie Fleming would have enjoyed to see in my opinion. Let it as it it's, please !

Edited by TCK, 06 May 2011 - 09:40 AM.

#43 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 09:57 AM

If I recall, it was announced shortly before AVTAK was released that it would be Moore's last Bond film (i'm sure I still have some newspaper/magazine clippings that mention that). It was either MGW or Richard Maibaum who stated in an interview that TLD was written without an actual actor in mind, but written as if Roger Moore was in it, not that they actually expected him to be in it.

But wasn't that the usual procedure after the initial contract ran out at the time? Moore being hesitant and politely shy about returning? I think I've read articles and reports, claiming this one was Moore's last Bond film also after MR, FYEO and OP. Some Bond-experts even believed the whole fuss blonged to Moore's and Broccoli's game about negotiating Moore's fee for the next one before the two of them finally settled it over a game of backgammon.

Funny, but I remember having read lots of AVTAK reviews stating the obvious, that Moore was definitely too old for this kind of role by now. But I really can't recall a single reviewer who believed Moore wasn't going to be in the next film too. Maybe I just blanked that part out, or didn't give it the attention it deserved. But I was indeed surprised to hear Dalton was to take over.

#44 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 11:29 AM

But wasn't that the usual procedure after the initial contract ran out at the time? Moore being hesitant and politely shy about returning? I think I've read articles and reports, claiming this one was Moore's last Bond film also after MR, FYEO and OP. Some Bond-experts even believed the whole fuss blonged to Moore's and Broccoli's game about negotiating Moore's fee for the next one before the two of them finally settled it over a game of backgammon.

Funny, but I remember having read lots of AVTAK reviews stating the obvious, that Moore was definitely too old for this kind of role by now. But I really can't recall a single reviewer who believed Moore wasn't going to be in the next film too. Maybe I just blanked that part out, or didn't give it the attention it deserved. But I was indeed surprised to hear Dalton was to take over.

That summaries it perfectly, and certainly matches my own contemporary memories. :tup:

I think we WERE shocked ANYONE was finally being tested, and a casting immenent, in 1986: Rog had pulled his brinkmanship game so many times since 1979, it was unbelievable when Cubby finally called his bluff and passed on Rog's services - which Rog seemed pretty keen to provide - for TLD.

Should have gone after MR. Believed that at the time, and 30 years has done nothing to change my opinion.

#45 00 Brosnan

00 Brosnan

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 11:53 AM

That summaries it perfectly, and certainly matches my own contemporary memories. :tup:

I think we WERE shocked ANYONE was finally being tested, and a casting immenent, in 1986: Rog had pulled his brinkmanship game so many times since 1979, it was unbelievable when Cubby finally called his bluff and passed on Rog's services - which Rog seemed pretty keen to provide - for TLD.

Should have gone after MR. Believed that at the time, and 30 years has done nothing to change my opinion.

Though I enjoyed OP, Moore should have retired after FYEO. Even though he had flirted with retiring from the role several times prior, I think he was persuaded heavily to come back. I would guess that after AVTAK was done filming he was set on that being it regardless if they had offered TLD to him. From what I've heard he seemed to really realize during filming of a AVTAK that he was just too old for the role at that point.

#46 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 12:00 PM

Though I enjoyed OP, Moore should have retired after FYEO. Even though he had flirted with retiring from the role several times prior, I think he was persuaded heavily to come back. I would guess that after AVTAK was done filming he was set on that being it regardless if they had offered TLD to him. From what I've heard he seemed to really realize during filming of a AVTAK that he was just too old for the role at that point.

If you read Cubby's "Autobiography" WHEN THE SNOW MELTS, it is made clear - at least according to Cubby - that Rog expected to do TLD and was disappointed when Cubby said he was too old and would not be offering him a contract for the film.

In public, it was agreed Rog would be allowed to be seen to retire from the role, rather than having been sacked.

On the basis that the Bond role was an untaxing, easy going, wonderfully paid pension for Rog, I can believe the Cubby version that Rog had to be prised from the part against his will; Cubby had, after all, constantly given in on not recasting for six years...

#47 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 12:07 PM

Indeed (though I think FYEO was Moore's peak performance, despite the various spoofy detriments forcefully injected therein). From today's pov it may sound ludicrous, brodering on outright insanity. But at the time it seemed nobody (well, few) were really convinced it was time for a change. I suppose Moore must have had some kind of foreboding, but the work on his films was always styled after his abilities and such was the typical Bond fare at the time that it seemed enough to raise an eyebrow or two in front of the blue screen. Still within Moore's abilities at the time.

#48 BoogieBond

BoogieBond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 12:53 PM

Agreed with Above, I think FYEO should have been Moore's last. OP would have been interesting with another actor, and would have been changed and made more serious if say Dalton would have taken the part in 1983. Not so much AVTAK which is pretty much gadget free and the excesses of OP are toned down also. In fact AVTAK has some more violent moments that typical Moore Bond fare, to show how evil Zorin is.
TLD wouldn't have been as effective with Moore in the part, but would have been an enjoyable romp I am sure, and if the action sequences and general role stayed the same, then it would have still been good. But glad TD turned up in the part when he did.

#49 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 04:57 PM

Though I enjoyed OP, Moore should have retired after FYEO.

There is a good chance that FYEO would have been Moore's last Bond movie had Connery not returned and did NSNA. Cubby felt he needed a Bond the public was familiar with to go head to head with Connery rather than introduce a new actor.

#50 iBond

iBond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 05:32 PM

Well, Moore in The living daylights ?

For pity's sake, no. It's the best Bond film ever, and Dalton is the man. I know The living daylights was written with Moore in mind, but Dalton emphasizes the darkness side of Bond, for instance with Saunder's death and "I got the message."...

Loved that line!

#51 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 06:10 PM

Though I enjoyed OP, Moore should have retired after FYEO.

There is a good chance that FYEO would have been Moore's last Bond movie had Connery not returned and did NSNA. Cubby felt he needed a Bond the public was familiar with to go head to head with Connery rather than introduce a new actor.

Yes, I suspect that too. Broccoli was very apprehensive where the McClory project was concerned and a return of Connery to the rival ... surely not desirable and best faced with the proven horse instead of a new one. Funny, because the market was surely big enough for two films and the Thunderball remake could reasonably only ever be a one-off, no matter what McClory claimed publicly. So it didn't pose a real thread beyond that one film and Broccoli could have knocked at other doors after OP. Particularly as his own model of 007 didn't age at all, according to his policy.

#52 Capsule in Space

Capsule in Space

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 228 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 06:20 PM

The story about Roger's tenure ending in Cubby's book is different from Moore's book. Which one do you folks think is right?

#53 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 06:27 PM

The story about Roger's tenure ending in Cubby's book is different from Moore's book. Which one do you folks think is right?

As I've said in post #47, I am convinced Bond was so easy and well paid a gig for Rog that I suspect he had to be dragged kicking and screaming from the role.

No one in the UK press from 1979 onwards ever believed Rog's brinkmanship bravado in negotiating each film would ever result in him walking away. How many of us knew about Mike Billington waiting for a last minute flight to Greece in 1981 or James Brolin's very serious wooing and preparation in 1983? It was always gonna be Rog. But by 1986 Cubby had realised Rog was just too old and Bond had to change.

Cubby's version for me, then.

#54 iBond

iBond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 06:28 PM

They probably would have kept the magic carpet scene for Roger, and probably of given him an exploding genie lamp for good measure!

Hahaha! Certainly!

#55 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 06:51 PM

I can't tell as I've yet to read both these accounts. Only thing I know is such recollections nearly always tend to be highly bowdlerised and subjective versions of the events, generally edited to give the whole affair an anecdotal and entertaining nature. So I suppose the truth - whatever you want to call truth in that context - lies somewhere in the middle, as usual. But if we narrow down the issue to the crucial quest whether Moore was up for one more time, then I'm defintely with David Schofield and Broccoli. Had the opportunity been there we'd probably have seen Moore in TLD.

#56 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 06:57 PM

Roger claims that he realized AVTAK would be his last while he was filming it and discovered he was older than his leading lady's mother.

#57 Miles Miservy

Miles Miservy

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 07:01 PM

I don't think it would have worked. You could tell by AVTAK that he was getting much to old to play the part. Case in point, when Stacey is lying in her bed in only a negligee, Bond's only gesture is to tuck her in. That is an act of a nanny, not a charming, sophisticated, secret agent. Although I got the sense the TLD was written with Roger Moore in mind ("Amazing... this modern safety glass.") I feel it was an adequate film to debut Timothy Dalton. On that note, one might beg the question, "What if Timothy Dalton had starred in GOLDENEYE?"

#58 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 07:06 PM

Roger claims that he realized AVTAK would be his last while he was filming it and discovered he was older than his leading lady's mother.

As I said before, Moore can't have been completely unsuspecting regarding his continued worth for the series. But the thing with the leading lady and her mother could have troubled him even more in FYEO. I would think his suggestion to let Bond use some brains instead of pure 007 stamina (when was that? FYEO?) to me indicates he wouldn't have been beyond giving his very own version of the "aging" Bond that Connery was allowed to portray.

#59 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 07:09 PM

On that note, one might beg the question, "What if Timothy Dalton had starred in GOLDENEYE?"

It would have been the best damn Bond film until the Craig movies; if you want, I can e-mail you the script they'd written with him in mind. ;)

#60 Perry

Perry

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 36 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 03:33 AM

Was Dalton ever a serious contender in '80, '82 or '84?

I'm aware he was considered (surely not approached) in '68.

Dalton in AVTAK would surely change alot of people's minds of the film: Dalton Vs. Walken.