This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Can Bond be sent to outer space and have it be played strait? Sure!

13 replies to this topic

#1 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 05 November 2002 - 05:57 AM

I really dont see what the big deal is on having Bond going to space again (not that I heard he will, mind you). I mean, sure, Moonraker was a big comedic film, but that was inspite of the scenes in Space, not because of them.

I believe it can be done and work too. I remember after I saw Apollo 13 I imagined the outer space scenes, but in a Bond film. Came up with this nifty little teaser too:

"Bond infliratrates the baddies layer, but at the last minute he escapes in a shuttle. So Bond gets in another shuttle and goes in pursuit (ok, having Bond fly a shuttle is stretching credibility, even for a Bond film). Bond gets to the moon, and a battle ensues."

Granted I wrote up that idea when I was younger. My point is, I think such a scenario could work, and not come off as hokey.

Thoughts?

#2 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 05 November 2002 - 07:43 PM

In this day it could be pulled off extremely straight. In fact you can bet it'll show up in the xXx series.

The only reason the scenario is outlandish in Moonraker is that the film WAS NOT MEANT TO BE SERIOUS. The producer's wanted to get away from reality and the seriousnes of the previous Bond's.
Some have even considered it as a self-parody and that is one reason why it DOES work as a film and why it is usually the most popular amongst non-Bond fans.

#3 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 05 November 2002 - 07:47 PM

I know it was outlandish in Moonraker cause the film is played for laughs. But I hear the same thing over and over again "Bond should never go to space again" Like it will immediately turn the movie into another Moonraker. I the point I was trying to make was that if Bond goes into space, it wont automatically turn the film into another Moonraker.

#4 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 05 November 2002 - 09:33 PM

Originally posted by Tanger
In this day it could be pulled off extremely straight. In fact you can bet it'll show up in the xXx series.

I hope they take your advice on that one, especially if it kills the series quicker. I still like the one that was rumoured earlier about doing extreme stunts around the capital. Whatever makes them look more worse.

#5 IrishCrown

IrishCrown

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 07 November 2002 - 03:34 AM

I think Bond will one day go to the moon. In You Only Live Twice, he almost makes it into space. In Moonraker, he gets into orbit. Now, it's time to send Bond to the moon. He keeps getting closer and closer. The only question is whether or not the villain will have green skin or pointy ears. My money's on Shatner playing the villain. We need someone who can chew the scenery.

#6 PaulZ108

PaulZ108

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1569 posts

Posted 07 November 2002 - 03:41 AM

I think Bond could easily be sent into space and have it be serious. This is the 21st century after all and space exploration has been around for nearly 50 years. It just needs to fit into the film right and make sense.

#7 Felix's lighter

Felix's lighter

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 247 posts

Posted 07 November 2002 - 05:50 AM

I don't think - with today's Bond producers and today's Bond audiences - that an outer space scene would be made to look as hokey as in Moonraker. It would be backed up with some more sound science and with a better reason for actually going there (ie. not some guy building a massive space station with no one on Earth detecting it).

#8 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 07 November 2002 - 08:49 AM

Having a spy who works for a government that does not have any sort of space programme going (that I know of), and who is unqualified as an astronaut tends to lend itself as being a little unbelievable, which is what a Bond movie is all about anyway.

I don't mind if Bond goes into space again, but if I want to watch seriousness in space I'll tune into the Discovery channel or watch a docu-drama like Apollo 13.

#9 1q2w3e4r

1q2w3e4r

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1336 posts

Posted 07 November 2002 - 08:55 AM

That'd turn me right off the series. And thats saying something, I really dislike the second half of Moonraker. I don't mind my Bond films being huge like Thunderball or SPY but I like them to border on spectacular without crossing into the unbelievable.

#10 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 07 November 2002 - 02:37 PM

I don't see why it can't be done again.

If they can play a clown sequence with Moore straight, then outer space is emminently possible.

#11 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 07 November 2002 - 02:41 PM

Originally posted by Simon

If they can play a clown sequence with Moore straight, then outer space is emminently possible.

True; I used to think that the clown bit was stupid. But when one realises that Mr Moore's feet are genuinely that size, it becomes very tense.

#12 Kingdom Come

Kingdom Come

Discharged

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3572 posts

Posted 07 November 2002 - 06:30 PM

I hope they will go into space, its been a long time since they have - also why would they not want to, since Moonraker is one of the most popular of the entire series - and rightly so.

#13 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 07 November 2002 - 06:34 PM

Just as long as theres no super laser fight in space again.

#14 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 30 November 2002 - 08:02 AM

I thought what with all the rich nutcases vacationing in space, we could have Bond follow one up because he's kidnapped someone where no one can get him.

However to make it 'real' Bond would have to go through some months' training, and I detested John Gardner's Win, Lose, or Die training because it gives Bond an unnecessary skill, as astronaut training would.