Showing on ITV4 (24).

On Her Majesty's Secret Service (Film)
Starting: 12:15 on Saturday 12th February. Duration: 2 hours and 50 minutes
Showing on ITV4 HD.

Maybe this is the best time:

On Her Majesty's Secret Service (Film)
Starting: 13:15 on Saturday 12th February. Duration: 2 hours and 50 minutes
Showing on ITV4 Plus 1.

Original Motion Picture Soundtrack Album by John Barry available on United Artists Records.

#2 Shaun Forever

Shaun Forever

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1067 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 01:04 AM

Anyone know what channel it's on?

#3 Royal Dalton

Royal Dalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4542 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 02:10 AM

I watched the last hour of it in SD. It's the Lowry version this time. So, it should be in full HD on ITV4 HD, rather than upscaled, like the recent ITV1 broadcast.

#4 Aces High

Aces High

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 226 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 02:06 PM

This was indeed the best showing in years....& the STRANGE thing was that it was the restored version...but the original soundtrack..& not the tinkered with lowery soundtrack.
So whoever is responcible for this there is a bottle of the best bubbly here for you son.
...& to the bods who distribute the DVD's this week get this version out there for sale please!!

#5 lazenbyland

lazenbyland

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 199 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 02:11 PM

This was indeed the best showing in years....& the STRANGE thing was that it was the restored version...but the original soundtrack..& not the tinkered with lowery soundtrack.
So whoever is responcible for this there is a bottle of the best bubbly here for you son.
...& to the bods who distribute the DVD's this week get this version out there for sale please!!

Yeah. I noticed that too. Obviously some clever soul at ITV didn't like the remixed soundtrack which didn't emphasize Barry's score enough; so I agree completely. Nice to see the film receive the attention to detail.

And completely uncut too!

#6 Aces High

Aces High

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 226 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 03:49 PM

On another note nice to see ITV 4 doing it the right way too,following up on OHMSS next Friday/Saturday 'Diamonds Are Forever' at 10pm..loving this season on late night 007..wonder if Diamonds will also be uncut??

#7 THX-007

THX-007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 208 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 10:29 PM

There's a remixed soundtrack? I never heard of this. Is the TV version of OHMSS different from the DVD's?

#8 lazenbyland

lazenbyland

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 199 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 11:13 PM

There's a remixed soundtrack? I never heard of this. Is the TV version of OHMSS different from the DVD's?

For the Lowry DVD digitally remastered version, they had a full surround track put on. However to do this they had to use new effect sounds in many places. Particularly noticeable with gunshots and at the end sequence.

For the music, whoever put this on the DVD did not take account of the fact that the music emphasizes and de-emphasizes certain sequences. The most prominent example is with the Gumbold safe cracking scene where the music is played at the same level rather than getting louder as with the original film. So the scene is a lot less tense.

#9 THX-007

THX-007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 208 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 07:17 AM

For the Lowry DVD digitally remastered version, they had a full surround track put on. However to do this they had to use new effect sounds in many places. Particularly noticeable with gunshots and at the end sequence.

For the music, whoever put this on the DVD did not take account of the fact that the music emphasizes and de-emphasizes certain sequences. The most prominent example is with the Gumbold safe cracking scene where the music is played at the same level rather than getting louder as with the original film. So the scene is a lot less tense.

And this is for the DVD version?
On the DVD I noticed the difference between the mono and stereo version, notably the gunshots at the end. In the original it sounded like a automatic machine gun while in the stereo mix it sounds like a semi-automatic (which makes more sense in that the Aston only gets a couple bullets in it and its not sprayed with bullets)

#10 Aces High

Aces High

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 226 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 01:06 PM

So if someone at ITV can get it right how come the 'TEAM@ at Lowry cannot..begs the question doesn't it?
Set of pretentious know nothings at lowry me thinks!!

#11 Bond... Raybond

Bond... Raybond

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 200 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 01:58 PM

But they kept the Lowry credit at the end and knowing that some of the region one dvds kept the mono tracks in addition to the remixed 5.1 tracks, could it be that ITV showed hopefully what will be on blu-ray next year? After all, it's not like ITV have ever given a damn about their films' presentation. One minor gripe for me is that they did not show it in its correct aspect ratio. However I do have to admit that what they did show looked very nice on my friend's 46-inch HD TV. If the blu-ray is as good, then this film will be one of the first of the last 9 that I'll want to get.

#12 Aces High

Aces High

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 226 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 08:13 PM

Have to say though ITV 4 seem more clued up with the movies they do show.
This version that was on this weekend is the best since the 25th aniversary VHS box set.

#13 Royal Dalton

Royal Dalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4542 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 03:36 PM

I doubt ITV had anything to do with it. They just play out whatever they're supplied with. Most likely the original soundtrack is the default one for the HD master tapes of the Bond films. It was the same when Sky showed some of them a while back.

#14 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 04:11 PM

Have to say though ITV 4 seem more clued up with the movies they do show.

I was just surprised to hear "Next on ITV4, George Lazenby stars in his one and only outing as 007, and boy it's a good one!"

It's so nice to see some Service love.

#15 Aces High

Aces High

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 226 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 09:59 PM

So a question for the ones in the know,can a DVD have a multi soundtrack..mono & stereo? Does the DVD of OHMSS the lowery one have a mono soundtrack?

#16 Bond... Raybond

Bond... Raybond

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 200 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 11:07 AM

DVD and Blu Ray allow for multiple soundtrack mixes and language tracks. take a look at the back of some of your dvds. Sometimes they'll include a 5.1 mix as well as the original mono/stereo for older films (this is what happened to some of the region 1 dvd releases of the UE Bonds). Sometimes they include both for people who do not have 5.1 speaker set-ups. Also if a DVD is distributed over a number of countries, different language tracks (for the respective territories) can be included (for instance, English 5.1, Spanish 5.1 etc). Hope this helps.

#17 Fiona Volpe lover

Fiona Volpe lover

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 347 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 06:08 PM

Yeah I noticed differences in the soundtrack to this movie. The more recent DVD had the music far too quiet [also a problem with Thunderball].