Predictable but disappointing.

#2 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 11:06 PM

yep, disappointing it is but not too surprising. I also doubt Brosnan will attend either.

#3 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 11:09 PM

Just offer him a bigger paycheck.

yep, disappointing it is but not too surprising. I also doubt Brosnan will attend either.

Dalton won't have anything to do with Bond either.

It'd be awesome if we got a 50th anniversary event with only Lazenby, Rog, and Craig!

#4 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 11:52 PM

I would imagine everyone else would attend.

Brosnan will have moved on by then. And Dalton appeared at the 40th event at the Albert Hall so why do you say he wouldn't attend at the 50th?

#5 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 01:00 AM

Brosnan will have moved on by then. And Dalton appeared at the 40th event at the Albert Hall so why do you say he wouldn't attend at the 50th?

As I understood it, Dalton generally doesn't like to associate with Bond, reportedly refusing to sign Bond-related items etc. But I guess an anniversary special would be the exception.

#6 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 01:22 AM

As I understood it, Dalton generally doesn't like to associate with Bond, reportedly refusing to sign Bond-related items etc. But I guess an anniversary special would be the exception.

Dalton does not sign Bond related items because of re-sale values. He is usually happy to talk about Bond and is very close with the Broccoli family so I think there is a good chance he would show up.

#7 Single-O-Seven

Single-O-Seven

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1323 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 02:25 AM

I hope they can persuade Connery to participate. It's unlikely he'll be around for the 60th anniversary and beyond.

#8 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 02:37 AM

News of the World? I'll be taking this news with a grain of salt the size of a hollowed-out volcano (plausible though it is).

#9 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 02:49 AM

50th anniversary?

I like to think all the boys will be there.

It's the most elite cinematic fraternity EVER.

They'll be there. ALL of them. I have faith.

Wouldn't be a Bond fan if I didn't.

#10 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 08:38 AM

Indeed.

#11 hilly

hilly

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 813 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 12:55 PM

I don't mean to sound a morbid tone here, but to be fair to Sean, at 80 years of age, he's perhaps entitled to not want to plan TOO far ahead these days...

#12 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 01:08 PM

I think this is a poor excuse for an angle and probably far too early to suggest this was/would or might have been the case.

#13 TheREAL008

TheREAL008

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1190 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 02:22 PM

I really don't understand the hate Sir Connery has for James Bond, I honestly don't. Without the character Sir Sean wouldn't even be as famous as he is or possibly be on the map of great actors. But apparently time hasn't healed all wounds for him and that's quite a shame.

His bond movies and his brief moments in the first Highlander movie are stellar. Of course he's gone on to do other great films as well (Just Cause, Rising Sun, A Good Man In Africa, Murder On The Orient Express, Finding Forrester, Indy 3, The Rock) But Bond has been the cornerstone of his career. He should be proud of that and not avoid it.

Then again he could still be miffed about the beating Sir Roger Moore gave him in Celebrity Deathmatch? :D

Edited by TheREAL008, 31 January 2011 - 02:26 PM.

#14 Doctor Whom

Doctor Whom

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 108 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 03:26 PM

Indeed.

I'm not sure there's a paycheck big enough.

#15 Piz Gloria 1969

Piz Gloria 1969

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 414 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 05:51 PM

Connery and Murray can go f themselves....they always try to spoil everyone else fun , ungrateful jerks.

#16 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 05:58 PM

I don't know about this article. It could be horribly unfair to call this a "snub." I'm not sure how great Sean's health is these days. He could have said no because he doesn't want to do the traveling, etc.

#17 The Dove

The Dove

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16671 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 06:31 PM

"How disappointing! I was expecting one head of state at the very least!!" :P I really do hope Connery changes his mind..I would LOVE to see all six guys partake in this... After all, Sean did snub the 40th anniversary when Lazenby, Moore, Dalton and Brosnan all showed for the Die Another Day premier..

#18 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 06:56 PM

It is something he stopped doing nearly thirty years ago; I wouldn't like to be followed around by something that long if I didn't want to.

#19 doublenoughtspy

doublenoughtspy

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4122 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 08:01 PM

I don't know about this article. It could be horribly unfair to call this a "snub." I'm not sure how great Sean's health is these days. He could have said no because he doesn't want to do the traveling, etc.

I agree Zencat. A snub would be to say yes, then not show up on purpose, or badmouth the event in the press, or something along those lines. Declining to participate (and we don't know if it was a nebulous offer, or a definite date/time/location) doesn't equal a snub.

As a fan I'm disappointed, but hardly surprised.

There is always the possibility that Sean could film a greeting that could be played at the event, or send a statement to be read, or something along those lines.

#20 Doctor Whom

Doctor Whom

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 108 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 08:13 PM

I really don't understand the hate Sir Connery has for James Bond, I honestly don't. Without the character Sir Sean wouldn't even be as famous as he is or possibly be on the map of great actors. But apparently time hasn't healed all wounds for him and that's quite a shame.

His bond movies and his brief moments in the first Highlander movie are stellar. Of course he's gone on to do other great films as well (Just Cause, Rising Sun, A Good Man In Africa, Murder On The Orient Express, Finding Forrester, Indy 3, The Rock) But Bond has been the cornerstone of his career. He should be proud of that and not avoid it.

Then again he could still be miffed about the beating Sir Roger Moore gave him in Celebrity Deathmatch? :D

I'n not sure you could characterize it as "hate." Like any actor, Connery doesn't want to be piggeonholed, even at this late stage of his career (all but retired). But I do think he has a certain, shall we say, ambivalence about the role that made him a household name.

Connery always comes across as one of those actors who just, well, don't like to be bothered. Nowadays, in this age of instant celebrity, it's hard to imagine how things used to be, but around the time of TB, Connery was the biggest thing going. I doubt anything will ever impact popular culture like James Bond did during the mid to late sixties. And, whether he liked it or not, he was James Bond. By the time he was in Japan filming YOLT, members of the press and public hounded him everywhere he went, even to the ppint of following him into the bathroom. A real hard core publicity hound might actually get a kick out of that sort of thing, but Connery doesn't seem to be that sort of person.

And, as is also well known, Connery felt that he was being underpaid. Like any successful actor, Connery figured that a pretty good portion of the success of the franchise was due to his being the star. Broccoli and Saltzman were old fashioned producers: they weren't interested in making their actor a partner. As far as they were concerned, he was the hired help and that's all. He wasn't even their first choice. He got what they figured he was entitled to, and that was that.

So I don't think he hates Bond. I think Connery just sort of figures that it was one part of his long career and it's not really worth a lot of hullabaloo.

Edited by Doctor Whom, 31 January 2011 - 08:16 PM.

#21 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 08:15 PM

It is something he stopped doing nearly thirty years ago; I wouldn't like to be followed around by something that long if I didn't want to.

Pretty sure my mother once described her marriage this way.

#22 Goodnight

Goodnight

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1917 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 08:34 PM

Dalton does not sign Bond related items because of re-sale values.

What does this mean?If people can make money out of selling signed stuff, why does it/ should it bother him?

If that is true, it sounds quite mean to me!

#23 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 08:58 PM

Connery always comes across as one of those actors who just, well, don't like to be bothered. Nowadays, in this age of instant celebrity, it's hard to imagine how things used to be, but around the time of TB, Connery was the biggest thing going. I doubt anything will ever impact popular culture like James Bond did during the mid to late sixties. And, whether he liked it or not, he was James Bond. By the time he was in Japan filming YOLT, members of the press and public hounded him everywhere he went, even to the ppint of following him into the bathroom. A real hard core publicity hound might actually get a kick out of that sort of thing, but Connery doesn't seem to be that sort of person.

And, as is also well known, Connery felt that he was being underpaid. Like any successful actor, Connery figured that a pretty good portion of the success of the franchise was due to his being the star. Broccoli and Saltzman were old fashioned producers: they weren't interested in making their actor a partner. As far as they were concerned, he was the hired help and that's all. He wasn't even their first choice. He got what they figured he was entitled to, and that was that.

So I don't think he hates Bond. I think Connery just sort of figures that it was one part of his long career and it's not really worth a lot of hullabaloo.

Spot on. Not to forget that Connery also blamed EON and the Bond machine for the deterioration of his first marriage with Diane Cilento.

#24 Doctor Whom

Doctor Whom

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 108 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 10:40 PM

What does this mean?If people can make money out of selling signed stuff, why does it/ should it bother him?

It has to do with the idea of other people making money off celebrities without the celebrities getting a piece of the action. Case-in-point: Several years ago, I went to a function attended by (among others) Ray Bradbury. One of my friends is a total autograph hound and he had probably half a dozen items he wanted Bradbury to sign. Bradbury told him he'd sign one, and only one, item. Precisely because he didn't want some guy cashing in on his name by selling autographs on Ebay. Of course, my friend was planning to do just that.

#25 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 01:13 AM

It has to do with the idea of other people making money off celebrities without the celebrities getting a piece of the action. Case-in-point: Several years ago, I went to a function attended by (among others) Ray Bradbury. One of my friends is a total autograph hound and he had probably half a dozen items he wanted Bradbury to sign. Bradbury told him he'd sign one, and only one, item. Precisely because he didn't want some guy cashing in on his name by selling autographs on Ebay. Of course, my friend was planning to do just that.

I don't have a problem with people making money from autographs, but this has a trickle down effect in that those of us who would really like someone's autograph can't get it because the celebs get offended by being bombarded by this stuff, not to mention the number of fakes out there as well.

Then we also want to complain when celebrities charge an arm and a leg for their signature at a show or often there's no time to spend with them at signings when you do get a book or something autographed.

Connery used to get miffed back when he was playing Bond that his image was used to sell millions of dollars of merchandise and he didn't make a dime from it as it was in the days before celebs got a piece of that action.

#26 jamie00007

jamie00007

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 08:26 AM

I'm sure he, or any celebrity, wouldnt mind a fan selling an autograph. Thats not the problem. The problem is professional autograph hunters who do nothing but hound celebrities for autographs so they can sell them. Why should Dalton give up his time signing autographs just so someone can make a quick buck off him? It would annoy me too.

#27 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 09:01 AM

Yes, Connery blames EON for many things, including fates that seem to have befallen him.

And credits them with absolutely nothing....

:confused:

#28 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 11:42 AM

This is really a non-story isn't it? Not sure if it's even worth continuing for now.

#29 Goodnight

Goodnight

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1917 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 10:08 PM

I'm sure he, or any celebrity, wouldnt mind a fan selling an autograph. Thats not the problem. The problem is professional autograph hunters who do nothing but hound celebrities for autographs so they can sell them. Why should Dalton give up his time signing autographs just so someone can make a quick buck off him? It would annoy me too.

I understand what you are saying here.

But it isn't as if people that do that are stealing directly off the celebrity....well, they aren't exactly poor now, are they?

I have heard of lots of celebrities that get annoyed about this and also charge (quite a lot) for autographs., but they could all try not being such desperate, selfish, money grabbers.

I am not having a pop at Dalton as an individual by any means...but celebrities in general.

Sorry for not talking about the actual topic. :)

#30 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 12:13 AM

I doubt it was a snub. If anything I can imagine Connery respectfully declining, especially given how old he is. Not a big deal, if he shows he shows. If not he's given us enough already.