6 replies to this topic

#1 Brian Flagg

Brian Flagg

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1167 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 07:25 PM

I'm long on the record of having Sean Connery as my favorite James Bond, but Roger Moore is by far my favorite person. He's got that wonderful self deprecating charm, a gentle wit, and is deferential to everyone he's worked with. I certainly enjoy what Roger brought to Bond, as no one could play the role with such a fun, light touch. My favorite Roger character is Lord Brett Sinclair from The Persuaders!, which also happens to be my all-time favorite TV program, and everything that Moore does well is present in that character. Moore never would give himself credit as being a great actor, but playing an English Peer of the Realm fits him perfectly. Not bad for the son of a policeman!

Roger's offscreen endeavors have been admirable, with his charitable work that may prove to be his lasting legacy, even more so than his reign as 007.

I've just started My Word is My Bond and love the personal, conversational tone the book has. It captures Roger's..."Rogerness", so well!

So, is there anyone here who has a favorite Bond that's not Roger but likes Moore best?

#2 O.H.M.S.S.

O.H.M.S.S.

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1162 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 07:40 PM

I like them all in every way.

#3 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 08:14 PM

I have said for years that Moore may be my 4th favorite Bond, but of all 6 Bonds, he is the one who I would most like to sit down and share a bottle of wine with.

#4 James Bond Jr

James Bond Jr

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 79 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 04:58 AM

I have said for years that Moore may be my 4th favorite Bond, but of all 6 Bonds, he is the one who I would most like to sit down and share a bottle of wine with.

Ditto. He's my 5th favorite. But he is such an obviously sweet guy.

Edited by James Bond Jr, 25 January 2011 - 04:58 AM.

#5 elizabeth

elizabeth

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2285 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 05:06 AM

He may as well be the nicest guy in the world behind Stan Laurel. He doesn't let fame get to his head, and he's so kind to everyone he meets.

#6 James Bond Jr

James Bond Jr

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 79 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 12:35 PM

Here's Sir Roger cutting up and being gracious. He talks about preferring LALD to FYEO too. And how he thinks Daniel Craig is scary! lol. He's a great man.

#7 Brian Flagg

Brian Flagg

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1167 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 12:54 PM

Here's Sir Roger cutting up and being gracious. He talks about preferring LALD to FYEO too. And how he thinks Daniel Craig is scary! lol. He's a great man.

That interview shows Roger being deferential again, with the "You're twice as strong as I am" quip and his wonderful humor with the "Think of England" when raising one eyebrow! A fine example of the man's charm and gentle humor.