Live and Let Die Review

No replies to this topic

#1 James Bond Jr

James Bond Jr

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 79 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 05:03 AM

I think Live and Let Die is probably the most underrated Bond film. Certainly the most underrated Moore-Bond film. I don't understand why it is rarely brought up these days. Its very bold and memorable for the most part: Having a mostly black cast, finding Bond in Harlem of all places, a paranormal subplot and the first rock n roll Bond title song.

Stylistically, its a follow-up to Dr. No. We have Bond in the Carribean against a shadowy and very ethnic villain. Felix Leiter is always a phone call away and Quarrel's son is there for support. Bond even falls for a dishonest chauffeur again! But this film takes itself much less seriously and adds more clever action and colorful characterization.

Guy Hamilton and Tom Mankiewicz make a great team in their follow-up to DAF. Hamilton is incredibly strong here getting great camera work and performances from the actors. This film is lighter on the camp and heavier on action. Its just as witty and vicious as DAF was, with ominous death scenes, witty dialogue and innovative action choreography. I think the strongest element is the cast. Roger is so perfectly cool here and full of vitality, reminding me of George Lazenby. Solitaire, Kananga, Kananga's gang and Felix Leiter are all played splendidly! The scene where Kananga punishes Solitaire for losing her powers is probably the best acted scene out of all the films IMO. Plus, there's lots of colorful minor players a'la DAF like a mutton-chopped chauffeur and the controversial JW Pepper.

This film is gorgeous too. Full of Bondian settings and sets. Great costumes for Solitaire, Kananga's gang and Bond himself. Moore looked so perfect in black stealthy turtlenecks, leather gloves and boots. Added entertainment comes from the 70s fashion/culture.

Its biggest fault is that it is based on one of Fleming's most well-received and moody books, forever brandishing the film as a failed adaptation. But I think its a wonderful Bond film. My main gripe is how easily Bond finishes Baron Samedi and Kananga in the climax. These villains were too charismatic and awesome to be brushed aside like that. It does keep with this film's version of Bond: a deadpan, self-assured super-agent who smokes cigars while hang-gliding B)

Another reason I think the film isn't championed is because any 70s film that wasn't artsy and serious enough seems to get the cold shoulder these days. Especially as this film is labeled "the Blaxploitation Bond film". Blaxploitation films are regarded as a joke by most film snobs, so I'm not surprised this film is never seriously re-evaluated. And then there's Kananga's infamous death scene which is indeed unrealistic and dated as a special effect, but its the most shocking and bizarre scene out of all the films STILL.

I place this film high on my list and rank it Moore's 2nd best vehicle.