34 replies to this topic

#31 Professor Dent

Professor Dent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5326 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 11:37 PM

Indeed some sad news. I enjoyed his commentary on Never Say Never Again & The Empire Strikes Back is one of my favorite films of all time. RIP.

#32 Hotwinds

Hotwinds

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 441 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 01:05 AM

I still think The Empire Strikes Back is the best of the lot and it sold me on the SW franchise.
R.I.P.

#33 O.H.M.S.S.

O.H.M.S.S.

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1162 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 06:47 PM

Sad news. I just saw this. Irvin Kershner was a good director and was the only one who could make his cast function properly in any Star Wars movie. And despite its flaws Never Say Never Again is a fairly entertaining movie, mostly because he made his actors give the best of themselves. He will be missed. Rest in peace.

#34 SPECTRE ASSASSIN

SPECTRE ASSASSIN

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4247 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 07:18 PM

He made the best Star Wars film. Bummer, man.

#35 Donovan Mayne-Nicholls

Donovan Mayne-Nicholls

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 381 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 03:36 PM

Not to be disrespectful to the dead but I always found Mr Kershner to be mediocre at best. Granted, he directed the best SW, which isn't much considering how awful the first one was. As a loyal Connery fan, I jumped at the chance of watching A fine madness and I must admit it's among the worst films I've ever seen. Same for The eyes of Laura Mars.
Regarding NSNA, I saw it more times than it deserved back when being a fan meant quantity and not quality. A couple of years ago I tried to watch it again on cable and I couldn't bear how bad it was. It's not the production values or lack of seasoned Bond crew, it's Kershner's utter lack of talent. It's typical Hollywood logic to think directors are just employees who can do any kind of film. Reminds me of Connery's First Knight. The director of Airplane! doing King Arthur.
I can understand the film arousing interest back in '83 when it was brand new and out on the big screen but retrospectively any "fan" who'd waste two hours plus in rewatching this mess when one can pop Thunderball on HAS to be a bloody idiot.