No replies to this topic

#1 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 04:59 PM

On 22nd November, I had the opportunity to be invited to a private viewing of Sylvan Mason's creative work on the art works that were designed to inspire interest in the film Thunderball.

Anyone following the Thunderball story, it's tortuous path to being made into a film and the wonderful book by Robert Sellers, will be aware of some pieces of art that were commissioned by McClory to an artist, Stephen Grimes, to generate interest in the making of Thunderball at the 1959 Venice Film Festival. All this is explained in depth in Sellers' book and is also found here and here.

Sylvan Mason has taken the photographs of these pieces of art, the originals having long since disappeared, and juxtaposed their letterbox dimensions to create a series of prints and canvases for the collector. In terms of film history, their importance cannot be overestimated and it was wonderful to see them being made available in limited quantities to the public. All seven images have been treated to both juxtaposition and can either be bought in b/w or with a colour overlay.

While there, I met and briefly spoke to the delightful Sylvan, and also spoke to Robert Sellers who was there supporting the event. Robert will also be giving a talk at the art gallery later next month (13.12.10) about the prints and of course his book. As above, Sellers has been interviewed by this site and his affection and enthusiasm for his area of work and subject matter was compelling. He also alluded to various works in progress which by all accounts sound thoroughly interesting.

A small and private viewing, it attracted Kevin Collette from Paris and also a chap from Sweden.

I would thoroughly recommend this exhibition to all who can make the trip to the Hammersmith area of London.

Date: 22nd November 2010 – 7th January 2011