Best character played by Timothy Dalton besides Bond

32 replies to this topic

#1 jorgem

jorgem

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 52 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 01:34 PM

Remember, Timothy Dalton is my #1 favorite Bond actor! and I'm a big fan of Timothy Dalton!!! And I was born in the Timothy Dalton era!

Let's see...

Heathcliff
Prince Barin
Bancroft
Basil St. John
Neville Sinclair
Boris Pochenko
Julius Caesar
Allan Pinkerton
Damien Drake
Amphitryon
Simon Skinner
Rassilon

I have seen Toy Story 3 and he was portraying the voice of Mr. Pricklepants in that animation. And recently I saw Chuck and he was there too.

#2 General G.

General G.

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 81 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 02:16 PM

I just wish he had gotten the opportunity to play Count Dracula... Would've been awesome in the part, IMO.

#3 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 04:24 PM

I just wish he had gotten the opportunity to play Count Dracula... Would've been awesome in the part, IMO.

You must not have seen his hair style in Licence to Kill then... ;)

#4 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 04:43 PM

Guy Bancroft, HAWKS.

Should have at least had an Oscar nomination, should certainly have lifted a BAFTA. But BAFTA didn't do that sort of thing for a Bond actor until they were mesmerised by "real" actor Dan. :rolleyes:

Best performance by anyone who has EVER been cast as Bond. And ever will.

If you haven't seen the film, see it. Original (and you can't say that often), both genuinely moving and funny, and absolutely superb.

#5 General G.

General G.

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 81 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 06:04 PM

You have a point there!

Actually, I'm referring to a portrayal of Dracula as actually described in Stoker's novel... A mustachioed, white-haired Count who grows younger & more vital as the story progresses. Dracula's appearance has only been done "properly" in one film to my knowledge: COUNT DRACULA (1970), directed by Jess Franco & starring Christopher Lee. (It's not a Hammer film.)

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#6 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 07:03 PM

Guy Bancroft, HAWKS.

Should have at least had an Oscar nomination, should certainly have lifted a BAFTA. But BAFTA didn't do that sort of thing for a Bond actor until they were mesmerised by "real" actor Dan. :rolleyes:

If you haven't seen the film, see it. Original (and you can't say that often), both genuinely moving and funny, and absolutely superb.

Yes, I have seen Hawks and yes, Dalton was great in it, but calling it the "Best performance by anyone who has EVER been cast as Bond. And ever will." is a bit much. I think Dan's performance in Road to Perdition is just as strong and Connery's performance in The Untouchables was more energetic.

To answer the question, I really like Dalton in The Rocketeer as Errol...I mean Nevil Sinclair (perhaps because I am a big Flynn fan as well).

Would have love to see him as Dracula as well. In the 90s there was talk of a Dracula v/s Sherlock Holmes movie with Dalton and Christopher Walken.

#7 Royal Dalton

Royal Dalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4542 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 07:17 PM

With Dalton as Sherlock Holmes, though.

Guy Bancroft, HAWKS.

:tup:

#8 sthgilyadgnivileht

sthgilyadgnivileht

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1854 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 07:28 PM

I haven't seen all of Dalton's work to judge but surely his role as Eddie Myers in 1992's Framed should make the list. Haven't seen it since back in the day but I always remember Dalton was great in it.

#9 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 10:17 PM

I haven't seen all of Dalton's work to judge but surely his role as Eddie Myers in 1992's Framed should make the list. Haven't seen it since back in the day but I always remember Dalton was great in it.

Dalton is amazingly charismatic in Framed as Meyers.

Add his HAWKS performancr to that, twist his Bond, and who knows how amazing his Bond #3 might have been. :angry: :(

#10 sthgilyadgnivileht

sthgilyadgnivileht

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1854 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 10:57 PM

Dalton is amazingly charismatic in Framed as Meyers.

Add his HAWKS performancr to that, twist his Bond, and who knows how amazing his Bond #3 might have been. :angry: :(

It certainly makes you think what could have been...

#11 elizabeth

elizabeth

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2285 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 09:11 PM

Of course, it has to be Mr. Pricklepants.

#12 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts
  • Location:"Special envoy" no more. As of 7/5/15 elected to office somewhere in Nottinghamshire, England.

Posted 21 November 2010 - 12:21 AM

Remember, Timothy Dalton is my #1 favorite Bond actor! and I'm a big fan of Timothy Dalton!!! And I was born in the Timothy Dalton era!

Let's see...

Heathcliff
Prince Barin
Bancroft
Basil St. John
Neville Sinclair
Boris Pochenko
Julius Caesar
Allan Pinkerton
Damien Drake
Amphitryon
Simon Skinner
Rassilon

I have seen Toy Story 3 and he was portraying the voice of Mr. Pricklepants in that animation. And recently I saw Chuck and he was there too.

Two more you could add to the list - Henry, Lord Darnley in "Mary, Queen Of Scots" (where he looked, in the end, a little the worse for wear because of a certain "social disease" that Bond has somehow avoided contracting over the years!), and the role that, I think, established Timothy Dalton in films, King Philip II of France in "The Lion In Winter".

Timothy Dalton was brought up and first started acting in a town named Belper, in Derbyshire, only a few miles down the A38 from where I live, and I can tell you that when he was cast as Bond, the local press in that town and county certainly made the most of the fact that a "Derbyshire lad" (born at Colwyn Bay in Wales, but never mind!) was about to play the world's least secret agent.

Nottinghamshire, my home place and next door, can't boast a Bond. But, we did give the world a Blofeld, namely Donald Pleasance, born in the town of Worksop in the north of the county - also the home of world number one ranked golfer, Lee Westwood.

#13 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 02:52 AM

I consider Framed to be his best work, of that which I have seen, period.

Very understated and powerful, especially for someone who for the most part wishes to ham it up hugely. I believe the definition of an actor who requires reigning in by his director.

#14 The sniper was a woman

The sniper was a woman

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 125 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 09:00 AM

Edward Rochester. So fiery, so romantic ! (I have sometimes a "heart sugar" side :) )

#15 Joley

Joley

Recruit

• Crew
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 09:43 AM

Best character besides Bond? Hands down -- Edward Fairfax Rochester. He was mesmorizing, manly, commanding, charismatic!
2nd place -- Eddie Myers in Framed. Attached File  TD 11.jpg   40.49KB   5 downloads

#16 Stephen Spotswood

Stephen Spotswood

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 823 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 04:39 PM

I've always wanted to see Timothy Dalton play Count Dracula, because he does act a great deal with his eyes, has a wolfish quality that was used in a documentary about wolves, and especially after I saw him as:

#17 jorgem

jorgem

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 52 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 06:50 PM

Get a chance to see Hawks in Youtube!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3bwqLwJr2s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezbyBwCs3KU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mz0GJ_OPM9U
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msmdFp8FSgs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_kvAbdMkC4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScoIjdNmOdM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6LUbJEa_Uc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEouqlKKRsM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvS87fw3sqs

I'm serious, I'm not joking!
Watch it now before is taken down!

Edited by jorgem, 29 November 2010 - 06:51 PM.

#18 Double-Oh Agent

Double-Oh Agent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4325 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 07:46 AM

Neville Sinclair in The Rocketeer

Very charismatic and fun in the part.

#19 Goodnight

Goodnight

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1917 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 07:52 AM

Mr Pricklepants has to be up there!! :D

#20 Stephen Spotswood

Stephen Spotswood

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 823 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 07:12 PM

Only problem was in Stoker's book Dracula looked more like:

http://www.google.co...iw=1004&bih=583

#21 General G.

General G.

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 81 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 03:56 PM

Mark Twain? Er, no.

Actually, this cover from an old '70s paperback pretty much nails the literary Drac's (initial) appearance to a T.

Posted Image

#22 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 04:25 PM

Talking of Dracula, do none of you 'kids' remember the proposed-but-shelved TD project "Sherlock Holmes v Dracula" from '90/'91/'92ish.

TD as Holmes, Christopher Walken as the Prince of Darkness. And Phil Collins as Dr Watson.

Now, who's happy and who's sad it was never made????

#23 Lady Rose

Lady Rose

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 384 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 06:21 PM

Now, who's happy and who's sad it was never made????

Y'know , I really cant answer that. The cast sounds great. I can imagine all of them doing a great job, if Watson was going to be 'a cheeky chappy' sort of guy. I love Holmes, I love Dracula. Just not sure it would have worked mixing the two :confused:

As for my Dalton favs ....

King Philip of France
Heathcliff
Rochester
Nevile Sinclair ( genius !!! - No 1 favourite )
Simon Skinner

Currently enjoying him in ' Chuck ' very much too

#24 Stephen Spotswood

Stephen Spotswood

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 823 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 06:09 PM

How about Timothy Dalton in this movie?

Mark Twain? Er, no.

Actually, this cover from an old '70s paperback pretty much nails the literary Drac's (initial) appearance to a T.

Posted Image

That's one of my favorite cover illustrations, I had a copy once, but I think they rather exaggerated the pointiness of his ears, and made his hair and 'stache more unkempt than in the book.

#25 Rik

Rik

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 109 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 09:24 PM

Dalton was superb in Framed, it's such a shame that only the edited TV movie version has been released on DVD. The full mini series should be put out.

#26 Stephen Spotswood

Stephen Spotswood

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 823 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 03:56 PM

Sir Michael Barrington:

#27 PrinceKamalKhan

PrinceKamalKhan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11139 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 07:51 PM

Prince Rupert in Cromwell(1970).

#28 O.H.M.S.S.

O.H.M.S.S.

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1162 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 09:43 PM

King Philip in The Lion in Winter. Brilliant!

#29 FLEMINGFAN

FLEMINGFAN

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 11:48 PM

Neville Sinclair. Over the top and fun. The best he ever did without the usual 'grim and grimmer' showcasing.

#30 Gothamite

Gothamite

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 409 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 08:05 PM

Can't believe no one has mentioned his performance as Rhett Butler in the Gone with the Wind TV movie sequel series Scarlett. I haven't actually seen it, but I don't hear good things. Apparently TD mumbles through the whole film.

There's some clips on YouTube.