32 replies to this topic

#31 Major Tallon

Major Tallon

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2107 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 10:52 PM

Oh dearie me, another dose of cant by someone arguing from his conclusions rather than toward them.  Concluding on no evidence whatsoever that Fleming authored Bond to "stoke a fantasy of national potency and significance," this writer overlooks the more likely explanation that Fleming was simply a British author who wished to write a thriller about a British agent doing stuff at the behest of the British government.  I don't accept the writer's implicit notion that the Bond novels would have more literary integrity if they'd featured an American, a citizen of a nation that at the time was in geopolitical ascendency.  I doubt Ian Fleming truly believed (though there is some of this in the novel of FRWL) that he was on a mission to bolster public confidence in Britain's geopolitical standing, or that any of the continuation authors shared any such motivation.  I think it accurate to argue that estates who authorize, and authors who write, continuation novels from Bond to Holmes and others rely on the accumulated good will of fans of the existing works, though why this is a bad thing frankly escapes me. 

The final two paragraphs honestly make no sense and conclude some name calling ("thickly costumed farce") unsupported by any real semblance of logical support.  The writer lets us know that he would prefer a hero to inhabit a world of "disappointment, failure and decay," but he never tells us why the reading public should share that sentiment.  There is undoubtedly room in espionage fiction for such a character, but I for one am pleased that James Bond isn't that guy. 

#32 Revelator

Revelator

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 11:20 PM

I think it accurate to argue that estates who authorize, and authors who write, continuation novels from Bond to Holmes and others rely on the accumulated good will of fans of the existing works, though why this is a bad thing frankly escapes me. 

The final two paragraphs honestly make no sense and conclude some name calling ("thickly costumed farce") unsupported by any real semblance of logical support.  The writer lets us know that he would prefer a hero to inhabit a world of "disappointment, failure and decay," but he never tells us why the reading public should share that sentiment.  There is undoubtedly room in espionage fiction for such a character, but I for one am pleased that James Bond isn't that guy. 

Well said as always. Nor Mishra nor Parker bother to try and account for the fact that Bond and Holmes have been continually popular for decades on end, not just now--there's no market for continuations of a character that hasn't sustained his appeal with the public. Nor does Mishra seem to grasp that Skyfall is the most pro-empire Bond film in decades (and that it still has elements of quasi-misogyny). So it is hardly a renunciation of the past, and can hardly be bracketed with the Brosnan films that Winder complained about. But I doubt if Mishra's sweeping conclusions are based on anything more substantial than a quick skim of Winder's book and hazy memories of Skyfall.

#33 Revelator

Revelator

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 08:04 PM

An article from The American Interest, titled "Lost in Translation: James Bond’s Istanbul," by Sean R. Singer.

The sub-heading: "The premiere of Skyfall marked Agent 007’s return to Istanbul, but which Istanbul? Certainly not Ian Fleming’s, whose contempt for the place drips from the pages of From Russia with Love." It's a longish article, so I'm not going to reprint here. Not a complimentary piece, but the author has done some research and makes use of Fleming's Sunday Times articles. He also details some interesting differences between the original version of FRWL and the Turkish translation.