18 replies to this topic

#1 Gobi-1

Gobi-1

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1529 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 09:51 PM

Timothy Dalton has given a delightful interview with Entertainment Weekly which you can read here: http://popwatch.ew.c...e-tourist-bond/

#2 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 12:23 AM

A long time since he did TV? His memory doesn't stretch too far does it? :D Apart from when he remembers doing Dr Who in the next bit ;)

#3 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 01:03 AM

WOW, first time I have ever heard Entertainment Weekly say anything good about Dalton's Bond.

#4 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 02:49 AM

Remarkable interview. This is main page worthy. His comments on Bond are wonderful.

#5 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 05:38 AM

You've got to love Dalton's enthusiasm for hard, realistic Bond movies.

#6 Major Tallon

Major Tallon

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2107 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 10:37 AM

You've got to love Dalton's enthusiasm for hard, realistic Bond movies.

Indeed you do. Whereas some former Bond actors (mentioning no names) seem dismissive about their tenure in the role, it's good to see Dalton's willingness to discuss his time as Bond, and his concern for the franchise. Nicely done, Tim.

#7 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 04:09 PM

Great interview.

While they did spend a bit of time on Chuck, I wish they could have spent more time on it in the interview. He did some phenomenal work on the show in last night's episode, cementing himself as, without question, the best guest star the series has had to date. Words really can't describe how brilliant the man was last night on his guest turn on the show, and I can't wait to see where he takes his character in the upcoming episodes he'll be appearing in.

#8 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 06:12 PM

Words really can't describe how brilliant the man was last night on his guest turn on the show, and I can't wait to see where he takes his character in the upcoming episodes he'll be appearing in.

When it was first announced that Dalton was going to be in Chuck,
Spoiler
I can't wait to see upcoming episodes.

#9 Lachesis

Lachesis

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 394 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 12:40 PM

Short but sweet, it is nice to see someone still enthusiastic and not fettered by ego. He may not have regrets at only appearing in two Bonds...but I still do ^^ Nice chap, great Bond and still doing great stuff.

#10 elizabeth

elizabeth

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2285 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 12:54 AM

He likes to crack jokes a lot, huh? I love stars who are honest about their work. :)

#11 byline

byline

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 04:20 PM

Really enjoyed this interview. Only I can't understamd why he said, " I would very rarely say that I’ve liked what I’ve done, but I do like what I’ve done [for Chuck]..." What? He second guesses his choice of roles? I didn't get it.

While I agree with you on the high quality of Dalton's work, I didn't interpret that comment the way you did. I see Dalton as a perfectionist, and perfectionists rarely "like" anything that they do; they always find fault with it, little flaws or things they wish they'd done better. I think his comments about TV work, in particular, speak to that because especially with television, there's never enough time to really get it right . . . or, at least, get it to where the creative individual sees it in his/her mind's eye. But, being professionals, they give it their best shot, and their best shot is usually pretty darned impressive to most of us. But it's not what they wish it to be.

I find that in writing for deadline. I can (and will) rewrite till the cows come home, but if I don't have that luxury of time, then I have to use the tools of my trade and do the best I can with the time that I've got. But I rarely read anything I've written and feel satisfied with it. In almost every case, I know I could have done better.

#12 Skudor

Skudor

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9286 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 02:58 PM

Great interview – thanks for the link. I like how Dalton seems to see Bond very much like I do. I think I need to revisit his Bond films very shortly.

#13 Col. Sun

Col. Sun

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 427 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 03:10 PM

Great interview – thanks for the link. I like how Dalton seems to see Bond very much like I do. I think I need to revisit his Bond films very shortly.

Yep, Dalton's Bond was great IMO. And Craig's Bond has made people re-look back at Dalton. Enjoy the films. Try to watch them back to back, they really flow well together.

#14 byline

byline

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 05:12 PM

Really enjoyed this interview. Only I can't understamd why he said, " I would very rarely say that I’ve liked what I’ve done, but I do like what I’ve done [for Chuck]..." What? He second guesses his choice of roles? I didn't get it.

While I agree with you on the high quality of Dalton's work, I didn't interpret that comment the way you did. I see Dalton as a perfectionist, and perfectionists rarely "like" anything that they do; they always find fault with it, little flaws or things they wish they'd done better. I think his comments about TV work, in particular, speak to that because especially with television, there's never enough time to really get it right . . . or, at least, get it to where the creative individual sees it in his/her mind's eye. But, being professionals, they give it their best shot, and their best shot is usually pretty darned impressive to most of us. But it's not what they wish it to be.

Hello. Actually, when I wrote that, I was just taking a stabbing guess at what he meant. I really had no idea.

Well, that's true for all of us. Including myself. When you get right down to it, we're all just interpreting and guessing. ;)

And, wow, talk about a perfectionist. That's what happens when you're a trained Shakespearean thespian.

True enough!

I find that in writing for deadline. I can (and will) rewrite till the cows come home, but if I don't have that luxury of time, then I have to use the tools of my trade and do the best I can with the time that I've got. But I rarely read anything I've written and feel satisfied with it. In almost every case, I know I could have done better.

I like to write. But I've learned , in 9 out of 10 instances, to go with my first version. When you start reading a piece over and over, you start to second guess yourself. What made you get up and go to the laptop in the first instance is usually the thoughts with the most passion.

:)

In my experience, it's a bit different for nonfiction/prose writing which I'm doing for someone else (a newspaper, magazine, etc.). First of all, without fail, my first drafts are too long for the word count I've been assigned, so I have to edit them down. And in that editing, being mindful of an economy of modifiers, my writing does improve. Often my first drafts are encumbered with filler that drags the story down rather than enlivening it for the reader. So paring away the excess actually brings the story to life. I haven't written as much fiction, but I find it to be true there, too. Different processes for different folks, I s'pose.

PS--

I like your sig cause I'm a big Beatle fan. But the actual lyric to John's song from Double Fantasy is : Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."
I know, my brother's were in a Beatles sound alike band and I must have heard that song about a gazillion times. B)

Edited for ps.

Oh dear. I have that album, but went from memory rather than bothering to look at the liner notes. Now I have to go back and change all my signatures, LOL!

Sue

#15 Lady Rose

Lady Rose

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 384 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 01:03 PM

Another new interview with USA Weekend ......

http://whosnews.usaw...guy-on-‘chuck’/

Plus, here's a little snippet from the forthcoming 'Chuck Vs. the Leftovers' .....

http://www.aceshowbi...w/00036979.html

#16 Royal Dalton

Royal Dalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4542 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 02:12 PM

Thanks, Lady Rose. :) :tup:

Lovely interview. Perhaps the most relaxed one he's ever done.

#17 Lady Rose

Lady Rose

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 384 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 05:59 PM

Thanks, Lady Rose. :) :tup:

Lovely interview. Perhaps the most relaxed one he's ever done.

Yes, he's been a lot more relaxed in interviews these past couple of yesrs.

He always comes across as very genuine and quite candid. He's very honest about his position in Hollywood and the fact he doesn't work as much as he would like. ( I remember back in 2003 when TD stated that he had called Sir Nicholas Hytner himself which led to him being cast in His Dark Materials. Dont get many Hollywood types discussing those kinds of things.)

the thing that stands out for me is his genuine passion for the projects he works on. Linda Hamilton said recently his enthusiasm is very infectious.

Some lovely interviews have come out recently.

Just wish he'd been as relaxed during his Bond tenure, he may have made a few more journalistic friends :D

NB ... love him in the new clip from 'Chuck v the leftovers' too :tup:

Edited by Lady Rose, 25 November 2010 - 06:05 PM.

#18 The Ghost Who Walks

The Ghost Who Walks

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 09:00 AM

Dalton describes himself as a geek, which somehow doesn't fit my mental image of him. Great interview. The guy is getting the comeback I have dreamed of him getting. Now he only needs to "steal" the kind of parts Ian McKellen is normally getting, and everything will be fine in this world.

#19 Revelator

Revelator

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 11:40 PM

WOW, first time I have ever heard Entertainment Weekly say anything good about Dalton's Bond.

My thoughts exactly. The magazine used to trash him continually throughout the Brosnan years. But this interviewer was obviously a fan, and perhaps this article is part of a larger cultural reevaluation ...