81 replies to this topic

#1 Mr.Zukovsky

Mr.Zukovsky

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 121 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 12:24 AM

I can never understand the point of being able to rate people's profile, it's a pointless feature which doesn't seem to serve any real purpose. I have seen positive comments in discussions where a user has disagreed with them and that positive comment has a thumbs down. Why do you need to give someone's comment a negative rating when you can just agree with them in a comment??? It has happen to me on several occasions, I am not even doing anything wrong. It makes good people look bad.

Edited by Mr.Zukovsky, 26 October 2010 - 12:24 AM.

#2 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 12:27 AM

Now, how do I mark Mr. Zukovsky down for this post?

Just kidding. Honestly, I don't know how many people even pay attention to it, I sure don't.

#3 Mr.Zukovsky

Mr.Zukovsky

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 121 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 12:36 AM

Do you see what i mean?

#4 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 12:47 AM

Do you see what i mean?

LOL

I'm sure someone marked us down just to be funny.

I marked you back up

:D

#5 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 01:08 AM

I marked you both back to 0. :)

I like the system, even though I tend to forget all about it.

#6 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 01:26 AM

even though I tend to forget all about it.

What are we talking about again? I forgot already :D

#7 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 04:49 AM

He's just mad that he has a -11.

Mine used to be a lot higher until the Glee fans decided to lynch my reputation score.

#8 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 08:38 PM

The reputation system isn't that bad. I've seen it introduced on another forum and it got out of control - factions started forming, people were given reputation or had it taken away simply because of who they were rather than based on the content of their posts. When you accrued enough reputation, you got "gold" status in your profile, which was supposed to mean you were one of the more-respected members of the forum. However, the trolls started taking over and they were very vocal about who should have a gold profile and who shouldn't. They really started to abuse the system and when the administrators finally cottoned on as to the root of the problem and removed the reputation system, the trolls rioted. I still remember one guy who went through the forums demanding reputation be brought back and pledged to keep posting pictures of a horse's vagina until the mods bowed to his demands. He did it, too - nowhere was safe because he made it his business to post in every thread he could find. I remember because he went through thirty accounts in a single day (they couldn't perma-ban). I don't think reputation will be too much of a problem here because the forum is much smaller and much better behaved and the moderators are actually clued into what's going on.

#9 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 05:59 AM

I wish the reputation system had transparency so that cowards wouldn't be able to hide behind their anonymous -1 ratings.

#10 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 06:44 AM

I wish the reputation system had transparency so that cowards wouldn't be able to hide behind their anonymous -1 ratings.

Yeah, but then you open yourself up to all manner of nasty.

#11 terminus

terminus

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 01:59 PM

Agreed - if you knew who was nominating you negatively or positively then that opens up the faction and clique voting that was mentioned earlier even more, it could become a tit for tat vote.

#12 chrisno1

chrisno1

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 931 posts

Posted 30 October 2010 - 02:04 PM

This applies to voting on anything related to a members posts.
In a "friendly" forum, I find it unfortunate that people would want to vote on a post, submission, reputation, etc. If you want to communicate with someone, or post your valid opinion on a thread, great go ahead, if you don't that's fine too. The ability to rate people or people's work / opinions is always going to cause resentment as it is essentially a personal judgement.
If the system revolved around the number of posts made, it becomes a fair system. You guys have that here with the "crew" - "lieutenant" thing, which I always take as my guide to reasonableness.

#13 Quantumofsolace007

Quantumofsolace007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3488 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 07:16 PM

i have such a negative number that i wouldn't be surpised if certain members have paid to get me off this board permantly.

#14 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 06:17 AM

i have such a negative number that i wouldn't be surpised if certain members have paid to get me off this board permantly.

There is no conspiracy against you, but we can start one if you want. If you have a negative reputation, it's probably because people disagree with you. You do, after all, have a tendency to post even the meanest rumour and present it as news, and people probably don't like that too much.

#15 coco1997

coco1997

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 05:14 AM

I don't give -1 to people simply for disagreeing with them. I issue them when people act abrasively towards others, spam the forums with nonsense and conduct themselves in an otherwise uncivilized or unproductive manner.

#16 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 03:34 AM

I don't give -1 to people simply for disagreeing with them. I issue them when people act abrasively towards others, spam the forums with nonsense and otherwise conduct themselves in an uncivilized or unproductive manner.

Like, say, accusing the forum of a conspiracy against them?

#17 Chief of SIS

Chief of SIS

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 921 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 06:34 AM

All your reputation points are belong to us.

But seriously,I am in the +1 camp for someone who argues with me as long as it is well composed. This community seems to shine through with well behaved and respectful individuals.

Edited by Chief of SIS, 08 November 2010 - 06:43 AM.

#18 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 07:15 AM

I like the way this post has -7 ... I wonder, who has the lowest reputation on the forums?

#19 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 07:35 AM

I like the way this post has -7 ... I wonder, who has the lowest reputation on the forums?

I believe the reputation score of our old buddy Bryan Pervert (Oh, I mean Hebert) got up as high as -80 before he was banned.

#20 Goodnight

Goodnight

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1917 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 07:53 AM

I quite like the system myself, but why is there a daily limit? :D

#21 Quantumofsolace007

Quantumofsolace007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3488 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 07:28 PM

There is no conspiracy against you, but we can start one if you want. If you have a negative reputation, it's probably because people disagree with you. You do, after all, have a tendency to post even the meanest rumour and present it as news, and people probably don't like that too much.

good lord i was joking. Don;'t you know sarcasm when you hear it.

#22 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 07:46 AM

Oh, I know sarcasm when I hear it. However, it didn't come across as sarcastic. It came across as whiny and something entirely in character for you, so -1.

#23 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 07:51 AM

Mine used to be a lot higher until the Glee fans decided to lynch my reputation score.

Sorry about that Righty007 or Jeff007 (can't remember) ! :cooltongue:

I accept your apology. :P

#24 Quantumofsolace007

Quantumofsolace007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3488 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 07:23 PM

Oh, I know sarcasm when I hear it. However, it didn't come across as sarcastic. It came across as whiny and something entirely in character for you, so -1.

I'm not whiney and that is not my character.

#25 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 07:26 PM

You're a character. That's for sure.

#26 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 08:56 PM

I have noticed as of late, that two of our forums resident toddlers - Quantumofsolace007 and Mr. Zuckovsky (formerly Bryan Herbert) having being thumbing down my posts, but apart from that, I don't have many problems with this system.

#27 Goodnight

Goodnight

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1917 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 10:16 PM

I quite like the system myself, but why is there a daily limit? :D

Any anwsers for my question? :)

#28 terminus

terminus

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 10:21 PM

I have noticed as of late, that two of our forums resident toddlers - Quantumofsolace007 and Mr. Zuckovsky (formerly Bryan Herbert) having being thumbing down my posts, but apart from that, I don't have many problems with this system.

I didn't think that you could see who negative pointed or positive pointed you?!

I wasn't aware of a daily limit - to the number of points you can give/deduct or the numbers you can recieve or have taken away?

#29 Quantumofsolace007

Quantumofsolace007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3488 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 10:22 PM

I aciddentaly Did that my apolgies anyway to change it?

#30 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 12:56 AM

It's certainly how you come across. Like I said, I know sarcasm when I see it. Your "sarcastic" post about how there was a conspiracy against you didn't contain any sarcasm. It read like something you would normally post, hence the whining and in-characterness. After all, the only other things you do around here is 1) post anything and everything you can find as "news", and it gives me the distinct impression you're trying to create a reputation for yourself as knowing more about BOND 23 than anyone else (all you really do it come off as if you're trying to let on that you know more than you do) and 2) creating wild theories about how BOND 23 has actually been written/being greenlit/being in pre-production despite Peter Morgan/Babs/MGW/appropriate person saying otherwise and then wondering why people pick your arguments apart.