5 replies to this topic

#1 OHMSS Spion

OHMSS Spion

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 244 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 07:52 AM

So until this past month, I had never seen any of Roger Moore's films in full. But I decided to give Live and Let Die a try and ended up watching all of his films in order in the period of a week or so. Because of seeing them so closely together, many of them have sort of blended together for me: LALD & TMWTGG, TSWLM & MR, FYEO & OP & AVATAK. Anyways, point is, I could swear there's another Roger Moore film where Bond has a sword fight, possibly brief, other than the one in Moonraker. But I can't figure out which film it was in, cause they're all blended in my head right now. Anyone know which film it is? Thanks!

#2 Double-Oh Agent

Double-Oh Agent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4325 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 08:41 AM

He grabs a sword and extracts it from a sword swallower's mouth and begins waving it about at one of Gobinda's thugs in Octopussy, but no actual sword fight occurs.

#3 Aris007

Aris007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3037 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 08:45 AM

I agree with "DOuble-oh-agent" and there are some other scenes, no real swordfight thoguh.

I suspect it's Octopussy. There isn't a sword fight really though. There the daggers scene and the scene where Bond is dressed as a gorilla in the train.

Then there's Live And Let Die. I believe we should line that out cause only Baron Samedi has a sword and he dies instantly.

#4 OHMSS Spion

OHMSS Spion

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 244 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 09:03 AM

That's it! Thanks guys. That's exactly the scene I was thinking of. Anyone know if Roger had any actual fencing background? What kind of made me laugh in MR was that the "sword" that Chang uses is a shinai, used in kendo. I've been hit by one before and while it hurts a bit, it's not a life-threatening weapon which Bond would need to avoid too much.

#5 Mark_Hazard

Mark_Hazard

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 12:18 AM

Well he did play Ivanhoe on tv in the 50s, so he probably had some form of tuition.

#6 Mr. Somerset

Mr. Somerset

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1760 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 11:24 PM

Always thought the shot of Rog fencing thru Chang's mask was quite funny as well as the shot of Rog with the sword in OP. The fencing sounds he makes as he thrusts crack me up each time. Woudl've loved to seen a true swordfight with Rog, though. I'd think there are some great ones on Ivanhoe.