20 replies to this topic

#1 Goodnight

Goodnight

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1917 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 08:58 PM

Hello everyone, I have a question to ask about DAD, it's a stupid question but...

In the scene where Bond is in some sort of hospital there is some blue laser thing moving about him doing an x ray. Well you can hear two doctors (I assume they are doctors) talking about his condition. Then just towards the end of that scene one of them says something like;

"Liver not good, it's definitely a him then"

What does he mean? Is he suggesting that all men are alcoholics or something? How and why is this line supposed to be funny?

Well I did say it was a stupid question. :)

#2 stromberg

stromberg

Commander RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6841 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 09:11 PM

The voice doesn't say "it's definitely a him then", it just says "him".

Liver not too good - from all the Vodka Martinis.

#3 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 10:15 PM

Yep, that's how I understood it. Got a big laugh when I saw it in the theater. Nice beat of comic relief after the grim Korea action.

#4 Major Tallon

Major Tallon

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2107 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 10:16 PM

Yes, it suggests that Bond's heavy drinking has caused some liver damage, something of an expected result given our hero's lifestyle, and helps confirm his identity. Actually, it's one of the more amusing lines from DAD.

#5 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 10:35 PM

That'd be one hairy woman.

#6 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 11:10 PM

Yes, one of the more intelligently amusing lines.

One wonders whether it came from the same stable as the whole, 'tip up', 'cock fight' routine.

#7 freemo

freemo

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 2995 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 08:29 AM

Hello everyone, I have a question to ask about DAD, it's a stupid question

There are no stupid questions. Only stupid movies.

#8 Goodnight

Goodnight

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1917 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 11:08 AM

Thanks everyone, I feel a little silly for asking now. :P

I had always heard the line as "It's definitely a him then" rather than what it actually is "It's definitely him then".

Now I fully understand it, thanks Stromberg. :)

Oh, and what hairy woman? :/

#9 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 02:38 PM

My Muse Jammie (aka Dr. Warmflash around these parts) looked me over after a BCW event in Miami and offered a similar narrative while I was on her massage table. She didn't have a bunch of fancy electronic scanners. She just went by her hands.

"Sleep deprived for several days. Jet lagged. Slight signs of dehydration due to heat. Extensive exfoliation from both salt and chlorinated water. Lipstick smears on neck and body. The liver doesn't need explaining. It's 003 though. No two ways about it. He reeks of high-end scotch and multiple ladies perfumes"

:cooltongue:

#10 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 05:19 PM

Makes one wonder what state his liver was in before however many months it was of being locked up and having his head amusingly shoved into icy water.

Probably explains the fat, washed-out look of the pre-credits sequence. There may be a narrative coherence.

I have now thought about DUD for more than a second and used the phrase "narrative coherence" (whatever that means) and must purge myself. Bad Jim.

#11 David_M

David_M

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1064 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 07:38 PM

If it takes a scan of his internal organs to be absolutely sure he's a male, I guess our James isn't as...um...endowed as we were led to believe.

Crazy or not, I almost like it better this way. It would have been cool if the MI6 technicians had a running bet on whether anyone who makes so many sophomoric sex jokes isn't in reality an over-compensating transgender.

"Told you he was a guy! Pay up, fellas!"

#12 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 11:49 PM

Makes one wonder what state his liver was in before however many months it was of being locked up and having his head amusingly shoved into icy water.

On that subject, are there any medical experts here who could tell us how bad his liver would be simply from spending 9 months in a Korean prison with, say, very little food, and not much water either. Not sure his other internal organs would be in a good state either.

-

#13 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts
  • Location:"Special envoy" no more. As of 7/5/15 elected to office somewhere in Nottinghamshire, England.

Posted 22 September 2010 - 06:25 AM

On that subject, are there any medical experts here who could tell us how bad his liver would be simply from spending 9 months in a Korean prison with, say, very little food, and not much water either. Not sure his other internal organs would be in a good state either.

-

Perhaps the North Koreans realised that heads plunged in water buckets, scorpion venom injections, Madonna performing the title song and other assorted human rights violations weren't delivering the goods, and decided to ply Bond with Vodka Martinis instead, to see if they would make him confess! :) (a Vodka Martini in North Korea? No more unlikely than Colonel Moon's car collection.)

#14 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts
  • Location:"Special envoy" no more. As of 7/5/15 elected to office somewhere in Nottinghamshire, England.

Posted 22 September 2010 - 06:33 AM

Hello everyone, I have a question to ask about DAD, it's a stupid question but...

In the scene where Bond is in some sort of hospital there is some blue laser thing moving about him doing an x ray. Well you can hear two doctors (I assume they are doctors) talking about his condition. Then just towards the end of that scene one of them says something like;

"Liver not good, it's definitely a him then"

What does he mean? Is he suggesting that all men are alcoholics or something? How and why is this line supposed to be funny?

Well I did say it was a stupid question. :)

Not at all stupid. There's a whole thread on this site about things we thought we had seen or heard in these films, but actually didn't.
The line was "its definitely him then", meaning Bond, identified from his medical records, which must have had some mention of the effects of all those Vodka Martinis. Given the Robinson Crusoe look Bond had been forced to adopt over 14 months in the Pyongyang Hilton, I suppose the medics needed to be sure of who they were examining. But as others here have noted, surely his other internal organs wouldn't be in too good a state either?

#15 Goodnight

Goodnight

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1917 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 05:12 PM

Perhaps the North Koreans realised that heads plunged in water buckets, scorpion venom injections, Madonna performing the title song and other assorted human rights violations weren't delivering the goods, and decided to ply Bond with Vodka Martinis instead, to see if they would make him confess! :) (a Vodka Martini in North Korea? No more unlikely than Colonel Moon's car collection.)

Madonna performing the title song, I actually LOL'ed at that. :)

Does anyone know if alcohol has ever been used to try to get people to tell secrets in torture situations?

Well if so, I know plenty of friends who would quite willingly walk into a torture camp if it meant getting free alcohol. ;)

#16 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 08:14 PM

Madonna performing the title song, I actually LOL'ed at that. :)

Does anyone know if alcohol has ever been used to try to get people to tell secrets in torture situations?

Well if so, I know plenty of friends who would quite willingly walk into a torture camp if it meant getting free alcohol. ;)

Well, I was always led to believe that too much booze could loosen the tongue, but in my admittedly limited experience of serious drunkenness, the end result has invariably been that I've fallen asleep.........ZZZZZZZZ!!!! :)

#17 Double-0-7

Double-0-7

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3629 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 10:12 PM

I would think that 14 months in a Korean prison would give Bond's liver a much needed break from vodka and it would be in a fairly healthy state. All that venom probably caused all sorts of problems throughout the body, but he certainly didn't appear malnourished in any way. At least what I could see through that fur coat he was wearing! :)

#18 Goodnight

Goodnight

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1917 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 10:22 PM

Madonna performing the title song and other assorted human rights violations

HAHA I'm still finding this very funny :D. I used to think that was the best song in the world, but then again I was 13 at the time. ;)

Anyway I can't find anything about prisoners or any sort of torture camp being forced to drink alcohol in order to get them to tell secrets.

I think a much more humane way to 'torture' someone would be just to play the DAD title song, on repeat, on max volume until they crack....it wouldn't take long. ;)

#19 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 10:31 PM

It was quite often done during both WWI and WWII. Been depicted in a number of films. When it comes to intelligence related questioning, you can go soft or hard. A mixture of both is usually the tactic. Or, as it's referred to presently, "Good cop, bad cop". Those doing it can then judge the metal, if you will, of the person in question and then apply the appropriate measures.

004 and I prefer the "Bad spy, Worse spy" approach. It works really well.

No....Really.

#20 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 10:53 PM

Madonna performing the title song and other assorted human rights violations

HAHA I'm still finding this very funny :D. I used to think that was the best song in the world, but then again I was 13 at the time. ;)

Anyway I can't find anything about prisoners or any sort of torture camp being forced to drink alcohol in order to get them to tell secrets.

I think a much more humane way to 'torture' someone would be just to play the DAD title song, on repeat, on max volume until they crack....it wouldn't take long. ;)

I listened to the DAD theme tune, for the first time, on the car stereo and thought "you must be joking" (to coin a phrase). But consider it in conjunction with the film's title scene. Writhing women on fire, Bond being drowned, beaten up, starved to near death, scorpions (why scorpions?) all over the place. Hell on Earth. Musically, a near perfect fit!

#21 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 11:14 PM

It was quite often done during both WWI and WWII. Been depicted in a number of films. When it comes to intelligence related questioning, you can go soft or hard. A mixture of both is usually the tactic. Or, as it's referred to presently, "Good cop, bad cop". Those doing it can then judge the metal, if you will, of the person in question and then apply the appropriate measures.

004 and I prefer the "Bad spy, Worse spy" approach. It works really well.

No....Really.

In all those black and white war films I recall from my misspent youth, the interrogation scenes usually involved a "good guy" regretting that "our two countries are at war" and even saying how much he enjoyed his time in the POW's homeland, pre war. Cigarettes would invariably be offered at some point. Of course none of this worked, so in would walk interrogator number two, and you can guess what followed. Definitely didn't involve Woodbines.

I would think that 14 months in a Korean prison would give Bond's liver a much needed break from vodka and it would be in a fairly healthy state. All that venom probably caused all sorts of problems throughout the body, but he certainly didn't appear malnourished in any way. At least what I could see through that fur coat he was wearing! :)

Bond probably emerged from the Pyongyang Hilton in better shape than after his brief sourjourn at Shrublands? :)