16 replies to this topic

#1 K1Bond007

K1Bond007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4932 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 10:07 PM

Film about 30 AU also set to star GoldenEye’s Sean Bean!

#2 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 09:11 AM

This really has been under the wire.

A filming piece on youtube with Guy Burnet.

An interview with him.

#3 norwegianbond

norwegianbond

Cadet

• Crew
  • 13 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 01:39 PM

According to Norwagian Website "Filmweb" the film will premiere in april 2011: Article (In Norwegian)

"
"Age of Heroes" is an action filled movie that is filmed in Norway and Scotland. The action takes place during the 2 World War II and is based on the true story of Ian Fleming's 30 Commando. We meet Corporal Bob Rains and his experiences as a British commando in 1941. Having escaped from military prison, he meets Captain Jack Jones.

Jones is given the dangerous mission to sneak into the occupied Norway and destroy a radar station. "Operation Grendel" must not only destroy the target, but the important German technology must be brought back to Britain.

The film directed by Adrian Vitoria and will premiere in April 2011.

"

#4 Nicolas Suszczyk

Nicolas Suszczyk

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3735 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 07:13 PM

I want to see this! :o

#5 K1Bond007

K1Bond007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4932 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 03:48 AM

According to Norwagian Website "Filmweb" the film will premiere in april 2011: Article (In Norwegian)

That sounds way more realistic. The dates everyone else has just seem so rushed.

#6 Syndicate

Syndicate

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 10:19 PM

I wonder when people here in the U.S. get to see it. What might be date it will be in theaters? If it is going to be in movie theaters. Which way is it going to go as a indy picture from the big studios's indy department like Fox Spotlight, Sony Classic and so on? Could it be it might just go stright to DVD or on cable or PBS first?

#7 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 12:01 AM

Release date looks to be 11th March now.

Previous dates include October 2010 and February of this year.

#8 smudge76

smudge76

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 153 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 01:17 PM

The film is part of a three film trilogy based on exploits of 30 AU. It is to be a big screen at selected cinemas in the uk not sure about distributuion to states. A booty friend of mine was one extras on the film and helped train some actors back in Lympstone.

#9 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 10:42 AM

Did anyone see this - think it was released in May, with a June DVD release date planned.

http://www.rottentom...heroes/reviews/

#10 Nicolas Suszczyk

Nicolas Suszczyk

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3735 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 04:16 PM

I hope to get this in Argentina

#11 superado

superado

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 105 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 01:39 AM

***SPOILER WARNING***

Last night, I finally watched this movie stateside, courtesy of my public library (the DVD went on sale here on Jan. 22). Anyway, I'm currently in the middle of the book, "Ian Fleming's Commandos," and also have on hand "The History of 30 Assault Unit." Though I have yet to finish these books, I can't find anything about the Norway mission depicted in the movie (except in "Ian Fleming's Commandos," there is mentioned an assault on a German radar installation in France, though it was not undertaken by the 30AU) nor are there any references to the characters other than Fleming. With the Norweigian setting, I half-expected the movie to include exploits by Patrick Dalzel-Job, who served under Fleming but was involved in Norway before joining 30AU. Can anyone else confirm if "Age of Heroes" is practically all fiction, apart from the general role Fleming had in WWII? Even that didn't seem near the "facts."

Edited by superado, 26 January 2012 - 01:41 AM.

#12 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 01:57 AM

I caught it on order through my cable system. It's not bad per se and kind of fun. Nothing spectacular, but entertaining. Fleming appears briefly here and there and is only mentioned or addressed by name once or twice. Again, not a bad little film and worth your time if you're curious.

#13 Syndicate

Syndicate

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 05:16 PM

How good is this movie, I'm thinking of buying the DVD of it? Is it manliy about Fleming and the 30 Assault Unit or just about the 30 Assault Unit, and not much of Fleming through out the movie. Is it even considered a movie about a part of Fleming's life.

#14 Nicolas Suszczyk

Nicolas Suszczyk

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3735 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 07:36 PM

Got to watch it. It's a really good movie. Wouldn't say it's a "life of Fleming" film, but D'Arcy has a lot of screen time and Sean Bean delivers a great performance

http://goldeneyedoss...oes-review.html

#15 Syndicate

Syndicate

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 09:37 PM

Well is it a docudrama on that part of Fleming's life. Just like if a peron is reading Ian Fleming's Commandos: The Story of the Legendary 30 Assault Unit, IAN FLEMING'S SECRET WAR or HISTORY OF 30 ASSAULT UNIT, THE: Ian Fleming's Red Indians.

#16 superado

superado

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 105 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 04:51 AM

Well is it a docudrama on that part of Fleming's life. Just like if a peron is reading Ian Fleming's Commandos: The Story of the Legendary 30 Assault Unit, IAN FLEMING'S SECRET WAR or HISTORY OF 30 ASSAULT UNIT, THE: Ian Fleming's Red Indians.

I don't think the movie is factual at all. Only the most basic premise of the creation of 30AU is portrayed, but the mission in the movie does not correlate with any of the 30AU'S real missions.

#17 Solex Agitator

Solex Agitator

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 02:59 AM

Now streaming in HD on Netflix...