41 replies to this topic

#31 K1Bond007

K1Bond007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4932 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 06:09 AM

I guess business was the wrong word. What I fear is that Goldeneye will be pushed harder in advertisement than Blood Stone, which will effect sales. I could be totally wrong, probably am actually, but I just think Activision plans on making more off of Goldeneye than Blood Stone, and their advertisement will reflect that. Again, hope I'm wrong as I want both games to succeed so we can get more.

Bloodstone will definitely have the bigger marketing push. It's on 3 platforms and undoubtedly has a budget exponentially bigger than GoldenEye's.

I don't think the number of platforms will determine marketing dollars. I suspect GoldenEye and Blood Stone have the same marketing budget, but because of nostalgia with the GoldenEye name in the video game world, it's going to get more press regardless if it's good or bad. As far as sales go I think it's going to depend on how good the games are. If GoldenEye is a solid "B" it'll sell really well, but anything less than that and it'll run into trouble. I personally don't think it'll sell well just because of its name, however I could be wrong. The Wii is an odd system with a massive user base. The 10th best selling Wii game clears 7 million in sales. For the 360 and the PS3 it's like 2 million.

#32 Mr Teddy Bear

Mr Teddy Bear

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1154 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 07:12 AM

I guess business was the wrong word. What I fear is that Goldeneye will be pushed harder in advertisement than Blood Stone, which will effect sales. I could be totally wrong, probably am actually, but I just think Activision plans on making more off of Goldeneye than Blood Stone, and their advertisement will reflect that. Again, hope I'm wrong as I want both games to succeed so we can get more.

Bloodstone will definitely have the bigger marketing push. It's on 3 platforms and undoubtedly has a budget exponentially bigger than GoldenEye's.

I don't think the number of platforms will determine marketing dollars. I suspect GoldenEye and Blood Stone have the same marketing budget, but because of nostalgia with the GoldenEye name in the video game world, it's going to get more press regardless if it's good or bad. As far as sales go I think it's going to depend on how good the games are. If GoldenEye is a solid "B" it'll sell really well, but anything less than that and it'll run into trouble. I personally don't think it'll sell well just because of its name, however I could be wrong. The Wii is an odd system with a massive user base. The 10th best selling Wii game clears 7 million in sales. For the 360 and the PS3 it's like 2 million.

It is quite possible they will push both titles the same, but I have a couple of reasons to believe Activision will put more of their might behind Bloodstone.

Being a 'HD' title, Bloodstone would have the bigger production budget so I think Activision will want the big return from it and put some pennies into marketing. I agree the gaming media will give more attention to GoldenEye based on name alone, but the Activision won't neglect Bloodstone so GoldenEye can have the lime light, is the point I was trying to make.

I also think Activision will recognise that the two audiences (Wii and PS3/360 owners) are quite different in how the consume games. PS3/360 games tend to have more front loaded sales, while there are many Wii games that tend to earn their sales more consistently each week, over time.

Edited by Mr Teddy Bear, 28 August 2010 - 07:13 AM.

#33 British Chap

British Chap

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 263 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 02:42 AM

Well, it's definitely Gray. They did a better job with his render than Craig's:

Posted Image

#34 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 02:54 AM

..............................................Wow. Amazing render. Liked the bit about being able to change his appearance drastically. Wonder why they went with Grey? Cheaper than using Pleasance and Savalas?

#35 The Richmond Spy

The Richmond Spy

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1586 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 03:09 AM

..............................................Wow. Amazing render. Liked the bit about being able to change his appearance drastically. Wonder why they went with Grey? Cheaper than using Pleasance and Savalas?

That logic makes sense to me. Good thing they didn't render Henderson from YOLT too...might have been difficult to differentiate between the two in the heat of multiplayer battle.

#36 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 03:22 AM

Well, it's definitely Gray. They did a better job with his render than Craig's:

Posted Image

:o

Wow, that's a great render! :tup:

Almost makes up for them screwing up Zukovsky. :P

#37 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 06:06 PM

You know what I just noticed? The description of Blofeld's Defining Characteristics match up with Donald Pleasance (the scar from the eye to the cheek). That's a bit odd, isn't it?

#38 British Chap

British Chap

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 263 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 06:21 PM

You know what I just noticed? The description of Blofeld's Defining Characteristics match up with Donald Pleasance (the scar from the eye to the cheek). That's a bit odd, isn't it?

I noticed that as well. I wondered if they made some kind of hybrid. But Gray up there appears to have no scar.

#39 00Kevin

00Kevin

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 699 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 02:40 AM

I think maybe they avoided a bald blofeld because it would remind people of Dr. Evil

#40 scaramunga

scaramunga

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1083 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 01:14 PM

No May Day for the 2010 version huh? Darn...

Looks like a good round up of villains though.

#41 Klaus_Hergesheimer

Klaus_Hergesheimer

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 33 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 06:44 PM

No May Day for the 2010 version huh? Darn...

Looks like a good round up of villains though.

I know I speak for everyone when I say how disappointed I am that Sheriff J. W. Pepper is not included in this game.

#42 WhatMeWorry?

WhatMeWorry?

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 95 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 12:09 AM

One thing i found weird is that they went with the Charles Grey version of Blofeld. I thought they would go with the one most people associate Blofeld with, the Donald Plesance version.

Yeah I definitely agree. I personally prefer the Donald Pleasance look. The Charles Grey version is possibly the least favorite Blofeld appearance.