7 replies to this topic

#1 I never miss

I never miss

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 316 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 11:35 PM

A link to a list containing 80 facts about Connery has appeared on mi6's website.
http://www.mi6.co.uk...34&t=mi6&s=news

Some of these 'facts' are inaccurate, but one that I did find interesting was towards the end of the list. Namely, SC turned down $5.5million to appear in LALD. I heard a rumour that early on in the LALD shoot Harry Saltzman (LALD was 'his' movie with Cubby taking a backseat) panicked about Roger Moore's performance and began to look at other last minute options (this was when the boat chase was being filmed), but I'd never heard of an exact amount being mentioned. Can anyone shed any light on this?

#2 Napoleon Solo

Napoleon Solo

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1376 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 12:17 AM

A link to a list containing 80 facts about Connery has appeared on mi6's website.
http://www.mi6.co.uk...34&t=mi6&s=news

Some of these 'facts' are inaccurate, but one that I did find interesting was towards the end of the list. Namely, SC turned down $5.5million to appear in LALD. I heard a rumour that early on in the LALD shoot Harry Saltzman (LALD was 'his' movie with Cubby taking a backseat) panicked about Roger Moore's performance and began to look at other last minute options (this was when the boat chase was being filmed), but I'd never heard of an exact amount being mentioned. Can anyone shed any light on this?

I don't know about that, but Roger Moore, appearing on The Tonight Show in 1973 (with Joey Bishop as guest host), claimed after he was injured filming the boat chase that the producers began to inquire about George Lazenby's availability.

#3 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 02:10 AM

I thought he's said multiple times his fav film was FRWL.

#4 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 02:17 AM

agreed

#5 Col. Sun

Col. Sun

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 427 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 01:31 PM

agreed

Yep, they have it wrong, he has said many, many time FRWL is his fav. However, he did say he worked very very hard on TB to try and make it the best one, but he already had concerns that the scale of the action, stunts, sfx etc. was swamping the character. U do feel, while watching TB, that Connery is very committed to the role. He plays Bond brilliantly.

#6 sthgilyadgnivileht

sthgilyadgnivileht

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1854 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 02:27 PM

Definitely a few inaccuracies in that list. I too have never heard of Connery being offered the 5.5 million. I think that for DIAMONDS the producers knew it was a case of getting Connery back for one last time. Furthermore their philosophy was 'you cannot beg a reluctant star to act' - i.e. It would not have been worthwhile to pay the high sum quoted for an actor who really wasn't interested in paying the part. On the inside LALD doc from the DVD Tom Mankiewicz makes it pretty clear Connery was not interested in returning.

#7 darthbond

darthbond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 839 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 03:56 PM

That is what I remember. Mankiewicz in said documentary stated that Connery said, "There are only two things I've ever wanted in my life. A golf course and my own bank. Now I have the golf course and I'm well on my way to the bank. I'm not coming back."

darthbond

#8 elizabeth

elizabeth

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2285 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 04:01 PM

agreed

Yep, they have it wrong, he has said many, many time FRWL is his fav.

Yes, including on the interviews on the FRWL game.