35 replies to this topic

#1 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 05:34 AM

Some character dossiers have been released on GoldenEyeGame.com and seeing this has me very disturbed:

Posted Image
Zukovsky circa 1995

Posted Image
Zukovsky circa 2010

I understand that they can't use Robbie Coltrane's likeness but did they really have to completely overhaul his appearance? To me, Zukovsky is supposed to be a portly Russian that's a little older than Bond. This new guy looks like Skeletor or the barman Bond disarms in The World is not Enough. :tdown:

All the other characters have been radically redesigned also but the changes to Zukovsky irritate me the most because of how memorable and lovable Robbie Coltrane's version is. :(

#2 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 06:51 AM

I think the developers are forgetting that the gamers and fans of the original film didn't love the characters in isolation, it was the respective actors and actresses performance that were ingrained in their memories.

This isn't Goldeneye. This is COD5 co starring Daniel Craig as a character coincidentally called James Bond, set in the present day, baring an odd resemblance to a 1995 007 film.

#3 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 07:03 AM

Looks more interesting now.

#4 Aris007

Aris007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3037 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 09:57 AM

He looks like he's a member of ACDC on the game.

#5 Mr Teddy Bear

Mr Teddy Bear

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1154 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 10:20 AM

I don't get why they didn't just make an original game starring Craig and then call it GoldenEye 2 if they wanted to milk the name. It might still be a fun game, but GoldenEye it is not.

#6 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 10:56 AM

It might still be a fun game, but GoldenEye it is not.

Indeed.

#7 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 03:25 PM

Aren't they forbidden from using the likeness of any of the actors from the game due to copyright issues with Rare? I was definitely disappointed that he was not portly any longer but nonetheless, I'm pretty sure the developers can't really provide the likeness for any of the original actors.

#8 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 03:32 PM

Aren't they forbidden from using the likeness of any of the actors from the game due to copyright issues with Rare? I was definitely disappointed that he was not portly any longer but nonetheless, I'm pretty sure the developers can't really provide the likeness for any of the original actors.

It has nothing to do with Rare. I suspect it's because they don't want to have to pay all the actors to use their likeness. It's possible to make a character look like Robbie Coltrane without it looking like Robbie Coltrane. That's why I'm irritated.

#9 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 04:04 PM

Of all of the character re-designs, Zukovsky's is the one I like the most. The other supporting characters have all received terribly bland makeovers. This Zukovsky may have little resemblance to the film character, but he at least has a design with some personality.

#10 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 04:24 PM

Of all of the character re-designs, Zukovsky's is the one I like the most. The other supporting characters have all received terribly bland makeovers. This Zukovsky may have little resemblance to the film character, but he at least has a design with some personality.

I agree, I like the look. It is much more fitting with modern times.

#11 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 02:13 AM

How is Robbie Coltrane's Xukovsky not in fitting with "modern times?"

Don't fat men with curly hair not exist anymore?

#12 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 03:42 AM

I could never see Zukovsky 2.0 hawking his very own brand of caviar. It doesn't fit with his look although I could see a portly Russian doing it. I know the caviar wasn't in GoldenEye but it's still part of the character.

To quote Alan Partridge, "Stop getting Bond wrong!"

#13 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 01:36 PM

I could never see Zukovsky 2.0 hawking his very own brand of caviar.

Me either. But does caviar figure into the GOLDENEYE game?

#14 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 02:22 PM

I could never see Zukovsky 2.0 hawking his very own brand of caviar.

Me either. But does caviar figure into the GOLDENEYE game?

No, which is why I also said this:

I know the caviar wasn't in GoldenEye but it's still part of the character.

#15 The Richmond Spy

The Richmond Spy

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1586 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 02:28 PM

Can you see Coltrane's Zukovsky pulling out his iPhone to check his girlfriends' statuses on Facebook? Then tweeting about how he aches and hates the cold months in Russia?

#16 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 06:39 PM

Can you see Coltrane's Zukovsky pulling out his iPhone to check his girlfriends' statuses on Facebook? Then tweeting about how he aches and hates the cold months in Russia?

Perhaps not, but then I can't see Zukovsky Mk. II do that either. By the look of him, I guess he'd be more interested in weight training, raping his hoes, and calling himself a "gangsta".

Reminds me more of Robert De Niro in Scorcese's CAPE FEAR remake, than an irritable but ultimately likeable, Russian Mafia boss.

#17 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 07:18 PM

I think you misunderstand me (or I did not expand on my thoughts at all), I don't think there is anything not modern about Coltrane, but since (I assume) they are changing Goldeneye from being immediately post-cold war era to a terrorist age era, he looks more terrorist or Russian mob type (stereotype) than an overweight man. He also looks to be more of a physical challenge to Bond for a video game (a media where intellectual challenge just does not work).

#18 Nicolas Suszczyk

Nicolas Suszczyk

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3735 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 11:29 PM

Have you checked out Xenia's render? She looks like a bad-looking lesbian! What the [censored] are they doing?!

#19 Quantumofsolace007

Quantumofsolace007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3488 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 11:38 PM

Have you checked out Xenia's render? She looks like a bad-looking lesbian! What the [censored] are they doing?!

Modernizing the [censored] out of goldeneye.

Hey i'm as avid a bond gamer fan as the next guy and even i'm unsure if this is a good idea.

#20 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 11:42 PM

Is this Xenia for GE???
Posted Image

#21 Nicolas Suszczyk

Nicolas Suszczyk

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3735 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 12:00 AM

Is this Xenia for GE???
Posted Image

Posted Image

Being a 7 year old boy when I first saw GoldenEye on TV made me fall in love with Famke Janssen's Xenia. Now I'll have to buy the blue pills to think of her again....

#22 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 12:06 AM

Posted Image

Being a 7 year old boy when I first saw GoldenEye on TV made me fall in love with Famke Janssen's Xenia. Now I'll have to buy the blue pills to think of her again....

May not be as hot as Famke Janssen, but she does beat the hell out of Rosie O'Donnell!

#23 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 12:28 AM

This game is starting to look more and more atrocious.

#24 Aris007

Aris007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3037 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 09:11 AM

Posted Image

May not be as hot as Famke Janssen, but she does beat the hell out of Rosie O'Donnell!

What's wrong with Rosie O'Donell? :rolleyes: ;) :D

#25 gkgyver

gkgyver

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1891 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 03:29 PM

Zukovsky looks like bloody Baron Samedi.

They really dropped the ball in creating iconic faces.

#26 Marketto007

Marketto007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2487 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 04:32 PM

Didn't like the new Zukovsky either. And what? A tattooed one? Naaah. :P

xxx

#27 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 10:14 PM

Zukovsky looks like that guy from The Prodigy.

#28 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 10:40 PM

And what? A tattooed one? Naaah. :P

Actually, it's entirely in keeping with his character. The original Zukovsky was a KGB mastermind turned gangster; since the Cold War has been over for twenty years, the new version has clearly dropped the KGB aspect and played up the criminal side of things. Zukovsky's tattoo is a Russian criminal one, usually a mark of the vory v zakone and it's unlikely that it's his only tattoo. Almost all Russian criminals - at least the ones who have been in prison - will carry tattoos of some kind, because they tell their life story. If you know how to read the language of the tattoos, they will tell you everything you need to know about a man at a glance: who he is, where he comes from, how long he has been inside and his crimes (committed both inside and out of prison), his sexual orientation, his standing within the criminal community, his debts, his trustworthiness, whether he would be willing to take part in a prison escape and so on. I'm certainly no expert, but even if I was, I couldn't identify his tattoo (much less its intended meaning) if I tried. But I'm willing to bet he has more than one. The first tattoos usually go on the fingers between the knuckles and identify the basics like age, ethnicity, place of birth and alleigances.

#29 SPECTRE ASSASSIN

SPECTRE ASSASSIN

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4247 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 11:25 PM

The new Zukovsky looks alot like Jason Statham. I wouldn't give a good opinion unless I play the remake of the game (which i won't). The new Z doesn't look THAT bad, but the new Xenia looks awful. Looks like Franka Potente. (No offense to all the Potente out there).

#30 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 09:17 PM

I found this today and surprisingly, I had never seen it before. Pretty cool. :tup: