109 replies to this topic

#1 Pierce - Daniel

Pierce - Daniel

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 01:59 PM

LA Times claims script has been the subject of “creative issues” between writers and producers

It's out on August 6th.
By the looks of things Bond will die tomorrow
http://popwatch.ew.com/2010/08/05/this-weeks-cover-is-james-bond-dead/

#2 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 02:20 PM

I like the cover.

#3 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 02:28 PM

I'll pick up the issue tomorrow but it's blatant hack journalism. :rolleyes: James Bond will never die, however, they're right to suggest that we may lose Craig if the hiatus drags on for too long.

#4 Single-O-Seven

Single-O-Seven

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1323 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 02:36 PM

I'll pick up the issue tomorrow but it's blatant hack journalism. :rolleyes: James Bond will never die, however, they're right to suggest that we may lose Craig if the hiatus drags on for too long.

I think you're right. The only long term risk here is the loss of Craig. The series could go on hiatus for 20 years but will eventually return and flourish with a new actor. It would just be nice to have it return much sooner so Craig can fit in another film or two, but the series will never go away completely.

#5 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 02:44 PM

Bond is going to be just fine.

But you know what IS going to die? Print magazines like Entertainment Weekly. Frankly, I'm amazed it's even still around.

#6 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 02:50 PM

I can't believe they are using this as a cover story. I think Wilson and Craig's recent comments were to try to put all those rumors (Bond film canceled, Craig not doing another Bond) to rest. This is just going to dig them up again.

#7 Germanlady

Germanlady

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1381 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 02:53 PM

To me it looks like an article and a headline, that is weeks too late, because they offer nothing new and I don't see a sign of new insider knowledge. So - this article or whatever might be inside - doesn't offer anything, that would change a reason for hope, that's still there.

IMO - this article isn't worth an own thread at all...

Edited by Germanlady, 05 August 2010 - 02:56 PM.

#8 Aris007

Aris007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3037 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 02:54 PM

Read my lips JAMES BOND WILL RETURN!!!!!

Catchy cover though! I'm sure many will believe that and buy the magazine!

#9 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts
  • Location:"Special envoy" no more. As of 7/5/15 elected to office somewhere in Nottinghamshire, England.

Posted 05 August 2010 - 03:00 PM

I've never seen this magazine over the other side of the big pond, but the tone is familiar - it's just like our "red top" tabloids that churn out rubbish to a gullible public. We know that MGM is in trouble but no one can say for certain that Bond is "finished", or when Bond 23 will start filming, let alone whether Daniel Craig has given up on the series (my impression, from recent quotes, is he hasn't).

Keep Calm And Carry On!

#10 Arbogast777

Arbogast777

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 626 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 03:01 PM

But you know what IS going to die? Print magazines like Entertainment Weekly. Frankly, I'm amazed it's even still around.

That's actually a good point - EW could be writing about it's own demise, and the story would probably be more accurate.

#11 Aris007

Aris007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3037 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 03:08 PM

Are these the same magazines that wrote that Craig is useless as Bond? :rolleyes:

#12 Wade

Wade

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 03:12 PM

Bond is going to be just fine.

Zencat, m'dear, as someone who works in the print media, could I just ask one little favor? [WHISPERING] Will you please knock it off? Uncle Wade needs new shoes.

#13 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts
  • Location:"Special envoy" no more. As of 7/5/15 elected to office somewhere in Nottinghamshire, England.

Posted 05 August 2010 - 03:24 PM

Are these the same magazines that wrote that Craig is useless as Bond? :rolleyes:

Wouldn't be at all surprised. Our own dear "red tops" wrote him off almost immediately after he was cast, only to fall over themselves to say how great he was some twelve months later. :)

#14 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 03:25 PM

This is nonsense. I'd say keep an eye on Deadline if you want any real news on this situation.

#15 Aris007

Aris007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3037 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 03:28 PM

Wouldn't be at all surprised. Our own dear "red tops" wrote him off almost immediately after he was cast, only to fall over themselves to say how great he was some twelve months later. :)

I can clearly remember those days. It seems though that those mags have run out of material. On the whole utter nonsense!

#16 doublenoughtspy

doublenoughtspy

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4122 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 04:14 PM

Pathetic.

The franchise is nearing its 50th year. Right now we are in a 2 year gap (a typical average for the series), and most likely we'll see a film in 2011 (3 year gap) or 2012 (4 year gap) which would benefit from 50th anniversary coverage.

Typical production hurdles (script, director, star) are all fine and willing.

The studio is having problems but it is MGM for god's sake. Its back library and major franchises (Hobbit, Bond, etc) make it desirable. It will be bought.

#17 HellIsHere

HellIsHere

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 310 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 04:22 PM

If this is a question of money, the Broccoli's should make an offer for those 007 rights. I'm sure they have that kind of money... LOL

#18 Syndicate

Syndicate

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 04:47 PM

Read my lips JAMES BOND WILL RETURN!!!!!

Catchy cover though! I'm sure many will believe that and buy the magazine!

Those that are not Bond fans at all, don't collect or buy any Bond stuff. But will still watch a Bond movie. Those people don't even know who is Michael G. Wilson like us Bond fans.

#19 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 04:57 PM

I wonder if this is their own little away of pressurizing MGM to get their [censored] in gear. The last thing MGM needs is the potential demise of their most successful film franchise.

#20 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 05:01 PM

Christ on a crutch selling socks to snakes during a blizzard in Hawaii....

Who the Hell at EW approved this sort of tripe just because someone skimmed the THR article?

Yeah, EW is starting to turn into the National Enquirer of entertainment magazines.

PSST! Check your facts. It worked for Woodward and Bernstein....and we all know that didn't lead to anything....

:dizzy: :rolleyes: :confused: :| :S

#21 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 05:01 PM

Yeah this added pressure is really throwing the spotlight on MGM. They have to be feeling pressure, but greed is motivating their every move. Still, when Bond 23 gets rolling a LOT of people will give it notice.

#22 Syndicate

Syndicate

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 05:08 PM

I can clearly remember those days. It seems though that those mags have run out of material. On the whole utter nonsense!

You can say that again about these magazines. These US Weekly, People and so on are trash magazines. All they talk about or make up are how is this and that star's life like, these two stars were fighting or yelling at each other at a party, who broke up with who and so on. They are for sure not the Time, Business weekly, Newsweek and Money of entertainment magazine.

When people go for a entertainment or movie magazine, they want stories on how a movie is made, the earnings at the box office, how the idea came about, star interview on it, stars and film makers's futre projects, remembering a big name star that passed away, TV show news/ratings, what show will be gone what will stay and DVD/Blu-Ray release date.

#23 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 05:10 PM

Is James Bond dead?

http://www.jamesbondprojectx.com/

No.

#24 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 05:18 PM

Is James Bond dead?

http://www.jamesbondprojectx.com/

No.

HA! Damn straight Zencat! :tup:

Maybe someone should email a link to this thread to EW.

#25 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 05:32 PM

Isn't this the same publication that listed that other site as the best James Bond fansite a few years ago? 'nuff said.

#26 Aris007

Aris007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3037 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 05:38 PM

James Bond will die when every fan of his is dead..............that is NEVER!

#27 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 05:38 PM

No. If I recall correctly, Entertainment Weekly praised Craig and was one of the first US magazines to give him a cover as Bond. I have not been a subscriber for the last couple of years, but they are not in the tabloid business, they report about movies, TV, music, and books. It looks like they are getting desperate for stories however (unless the complete article gives a look at Wilson and Craig's recent comments). Hopefully they will look at the possibilities of getting Bond back on the screen instead of just the negatives.

#28 Aris007

Aris007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3037 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 05:43 PM

No. If I recall correctly, Entertainment Weekly praised Craig and was one of the first US magazines to give him a cover as Bond. I have not been a subscriber for the last couple of years, but they are not in the tabloid business, they report about movies, TV, music, and books. It looks like they are getting desperate for stories however (unless the complete article gives a look at Wilson and Craig's recent comments). Hopefully they will look at the possibilities of getting Bond back on the screen instead of just the negatives.

Well that's worse for them if you're right, cause as you said that shows that they've run out of material and that they turn against what they approved years ago. Pathetic!

#29 Safari Suit

Safari Suit

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5099 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 05:45 PM

I think this is good publicity. It will get people talking. It might get people actually caring.

#30 Aris007

Aris007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3037 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 05:47 PM

Well that's the upside of things. To be honest this would be the best thing that happened for Bond this year!