14 replies to this topic

#1 col_007

col_007

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 03:40 PM

Movie: On Her Majesty's Secret Service (1969)
Channel: ITV1 & ITV1 HD (UK)
Date: Sunday 1st August 2010
Time: 16:00

Might have to watch it in HD knowing ITV it will probably be hacked to pieces

#2 sthgilyadgnivileht

sthgilyadgnivileht

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1854 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 09:49 PM

Might have to watch it in HD knowing ITV it will probably be hacked to pieces

Probably. Although up until late 1995, unless you had LD, the ITV print was the most complete version of the film available, and the best way to watch OHMSS.

#3 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 10:34 PM

HD? I might have to watch this! Thank god for my girlfriend and her 40+" TV, with SKY+ HD! :D

#4 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts
  • Location:"Special envoy" no more. As of 7/5/15 elected to office somewhere in Nottinghamshire, England.

Posted 01 August 2010 - 05:46 AM

HD? I might have to watch this! Thank god for my girlfriend and her 40+" TV, with SKY+ HD! :D

And have the critics finally started to appreciate the movie? Herein the link to the pocket review from this week's Radio Times:-
http://www.radiotime...rchTypeSelect=5

True, Lazenby gets the usual film critic's hatchet job, but on the whole this seems quite positive. A change from the usual dismal reviews the movie gets, undeservedly.

#5 Aris007

Aris007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3037 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 10:28 AM

And have the critics finally started to appreciate the movie? Herein the link to the pocket review from this week's Radio Times:-
http://www.radiotime...rchTypeSelect=5

True, Lazenby gets the usual film critic's hatchet job, but on the whole this seems quite positive. A change from the usual dismal reviews the movie gets, undeservedly.

I'm really fed up with people who bring up Connery when talking about OHMSS. For me it'd have been a disaster if Sean starred in this one!

#6 Conlazmoodalbrocra

Conlazmoodalbrocra

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3546 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 11:26 AM

Even though I've got it on DVD, I'll probably still end up watching it after the Grand Prix!

#7 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 12:46 PM

I'm really fed up with people who bring up Connery when talking about OHMSS.

Absolutely. I don't particularly care about the ifs. I only care about what is. It's Lazenby's film, and Connery has absolutely nothing to do with it. People need to take it for what it is, rather than wanting it to be something other.

#8 col_007

col_007

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 03:06 PM

oh no I forgot it was on oh never mind how does it look in HD :) went and took a look at it its upscaled according to the TV guide

Edited by col_007, 01 August 2010 - 03:17 PM.

#9 Royal Dalton

Royal Dalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4542 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 04:03 PM

It's most likely upscaled, anyway (this is ITV we're talking about, after all).

#10 volante

volante

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1926 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 05:42 PM

Looked good in HD; plus the film itself really stands up to the test of time.

It was cut about; but hey its a Bond film.

#11 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts
  • Location:"Special envoy" no more. As of 7/5/15 elected to office somewhere in Nottinghamshire, England.

Posted 01 August 2010 - 06:02 PM

Well, I've just watched it again for the umpteenth time, on ITV1, and enjoyed it as much as ever. One bit puzzled me though. During the courtship montage, we see Bond and Tracy outside the jewelers, selecting a ring. But Bond doesn't actually propose to her until much later in the film. Surely they wouldn't be looking for a ring until after then? Unless (answering my own question) the earlier scene involved an engagement ring? In which case, marriage was always on the cards, and the proposal scene isn't such a bolt from the blue for Tracy.

I suppose I'm just wondering if there was a continuity error in the scene backed musically by Ol' Satchmo.

#12 col_007

col_007

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 08:37 PM

Well, I've just watched it again for the umpteenth time, on ITV1, and enjoyed it as much as ever. One bit puzzled me though. During the courtship montage, we see Bond and Tracy outside the jewelers, selecting a ring. But Bond doesn't actually propose to her until much later in the film. Surely they wouldn't be looking for a ring until after then? Unless (answering my own question) the earlier scene involved an engagement ring? In which case, marriage was always on the cards, and the proposal scene isn't such a bolt from the blue for Tracy.

I suppose I'm just wondering if there was a continuity error in the scene backed musically by Ol' Satchmo.

on that scene does anyone know why a different version of his song was used in that sequence :confused:

#13 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 09:48 PM

Wasn't too impressed with the HD transfer. I did however, notice that after Bond beds Tracy for the first time, he has a cut above his left eyebrow the next morning. Never noticed that before.

#14 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 04:46 AM

For any experts out there, what print was this showing of OHMSS using (non HD)?

#15 Shaun Forever

Shaun Forever

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1067 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 02:08 PM

No differnce between the SD and HD version, not that I noticed.