#1 clinkeroo

clinkeroo

Commander

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 03:20 AM

Hello Folks,

Apparently, my stories have all been taken down, or reduced to snippets. Anyone with an interest in Fleming's creation, who would like to read adventures penned by an old journalist with a degree in literature can find them here:

http://www.fanfictio...32923/clinkeroo

Thanks,
Thom

#2 terminus

terminus

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 11:25 AM

Awesome, clinkeroo. I'm lucky that I still had a few of your works on my computer.

#3 volante

volante

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1926 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 07:33 PM

It's good to know your story's aren't lost. You've been an inspiration to me.

I was actually reading Jim's 'Skeleton's of Yesterday', when "Bang" it got all mashed up.

What does puzzle me though, is to why the first 11 discussions; marked as Sticky; haven't (in the main) had any disussion for the past four years.

Perhaps it's because the story's don't appear anywhere on the messageboard anymore.

Edited by volante, 23 July 2010 - 07:33 PM.

#4 chrisno1

chrisno1

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 931 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 12:53 AM

What does puzzle me though, is to why the first 11 discussions; marked as Sticky; haven't (in the main) had any disussion for the past four years.

Ditto, V,
a very odd occurrance. I thought with the upgrade this may be sorted. I'm not moaing par se but some of the stories are a few years old and the replies are equally aged. "Bumping" FanFic is all very well, but this hardly seems fair to those of us who are submitting contemporary work.
Equally agree Clink has some great product out there. I share his frustration; my first effort (Icebreaker) is currently missing Part One. I'm considering submitting a PDF to update it, but it was done a couple of years back and feel its time to move on... much like those "sticky" FanFic.... in the nicest way of course.

#5 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 06:25 AM

Hello

As I understand the technicals of it

1. Some of the older stories on the forum do have bits missing - a mix of age and a number of upgrades. Rather sorry to see The Heart Bleeds Ice has bled most of its words; that's probably lost forever unless someone has a copy kicking about.

2. The sticky ones - noted; an offshoot of when we used to have the fan fiction as a section on the main site. Chalk that one up to posterity. Agreed that some of them haven't had much comment recently (albeit it's only the comment that's stickied, not the tales themselves). We may not be stickying (is that a word?) in the future.

3. A lot of discussion in the Fan Fiction bit appears to be trailers for work rather than the work itself. Don't expect trailers and unsubmitted or incomplete or abandoned work to warrant sticky message links.

4. If people think some work itself is deserving of being stickied in the story forum itself, I am happy to hold a vote but will need to think about the parameters.

#6 chrisno1

chrisno1

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 931 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 08:15 PM

I think that's fair comment, Jim, and thanks for the reply.

Regards trailers, I personally do them because I'm not convinced people will actually read my stories unless I do. It took over a year to accumulate 2000 views of Icebreaker, to which I posted no trailers.
No one, as yet, has posted a really in depth review of any of my work, although there has been other positive feedback, so it is hard to tell what the readers genuinely think. Trailers are also a bit of fun.

I don't think 'stickying' is a word. I think you have to use 'sticking.' (eg "we may not be sticking any in the future")

Back to Clinkeroo's point, I've used Fanfiction.net as well. If people really like their Fan Fic, it is a massive site, with a lot of contributions from all corners of the globe and all ages etc. It's almost like a library. Disappointingly (and this is one of my gripes regarding 007 Fan Fic) James Bond is listed under MOVIES not NOVELS! I think that shows how reader's perceptions of James Bond have altered over the decades.

#7 volante

volante

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1926 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 06:55 AM

The other day I watched U Tube videos, with Michael Wilson launching a video game.

Blood Stone is the latest Bond release; it even has a Bond girl. Joss Stone.

Activision put on a presentation that would have humbled a movie release 20 years ago.

Times and technology move on.

Jeffery Deaver met with The Admeral in a crypt in London; 10 months before Project X is to be released.

This is a Fan site; and as such we want to be part of the Bond community.

We want to feel the excitement grow.

Fan Fiction is an expression of that desire to be part of the Bond legacy.

Trailers; are certainly part of Bond. Fan videos adorn U Tube. Fan art is of the highest quality.

On a sister site; another member made up three book covers for one of my story's.

So...while we have the time; lets discuss the fan fics that are actually able to be read.

#8 clinkeroo

clinkeroo

Commander

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 07:46 AM

If a story is good enough, people will read it, and people will talk about it.

#9 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 08:22 AM

Agreed. We may have to assume that the opposite is also a realistic proposition.

#10 George88

George88

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 90 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 08:43 AM

Agreed. We may have to assume that the opposite is also a realistic proposition.

Yes, I also agree with that. I think it's the spelling and grammar in the vast majority of the tales that irks me and puts me off finishing reading them.

Actually, confession time - starting to read them.

The stuff stands or falls on its own merits. The relentless trailers really don't achieve much; or at least it is not very evident what their existence does achieve.

#11 volante

volante

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1926 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 09:21 AM

Before we get too emotive; lets remember the issue.

There are 11 sticky items in "Discussion" pertaining to stories that are not available to read on this site.
In the main, no meaningful discussion has taken place on these stories for over two years.

I believe the alternatives are.
Put the stories back on; or remove the discussions. Or leave it how it is.
I don't care which; I'm only puzzled that we have this situation.

It's the CBn site that is 10 years old today; not the people arguing. CBn content is, in the main excellent; and after all its supposed to be fun.

#12 clinkeroo

clinkeroo

Commander

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 09:43 AM

I don't think anyone was arguing.

Strange, I turn 43 at the same time CBn turns 10. Eight of those years we've travelled together.

#13 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 10:49 AM

Tempted now to do a couple of covers for my stuff.

#14 clinkeroo

clinkeroo

Commander

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 11:23 AM

Tempted now to do a couple of covers for my stuff.

The term "my stuff" can mean so many things these days...I'm not sure I'd want to be party to such a thing :P .