This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Thunderball UE DVD..different versions of the movie!

24 replies to this topic

#1 The Dove

The Dove

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16671 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 05:58 PM

I was watching Thunderball (Ultimate Edition DVD) a few nights ago and as I have become increasingly annoyed with all the new and improved sound effects that were added, I decided to watch the movie with the Original English Mono soundtrack..and boy did I get quite a surprise!! You get a different version of the film!! Ok I'm sure we all know that different versions of Thunderball exsist (i.e Connery's line "Sorry old chap, better luck next time!" vs "Well you can tell about the one that got away!" etc..) but apparently if you watch the movie with the default audio you get one version, and if you switch to the Original mono sound, you get the other version!! So here are the differences which I noticed:

Default Audio:
1. Horrible new clanking sound when Largo opens the secret door to get into the SPECTRE meeting..
2. Connery's line is: "Sorry old chap, better luck next time!"
3. Alternate music when Bond helps Domino get her foot unstuck from the coral reef (totally different..)
4. The correctly removed Earl Cameron line "Manta Ray!! Unusual to see them as far out as this!"
5. The horrible new sound of the underwater sleds..again I really don't know why they had to change the sound effects!!
6. The scene where Largo threatens to torture Domino.."You've given me much pleasure, Domino!" this is normal.
7. John Barry's score flows very nicely and is editied perfectly for the underwater battle..

Original Mono audio:
1. Original smooth sounding opening of the door into the SPECTRE meeting..
2. Connery's line is: "Well you can tell about the one that got away!!"
3. Original music is here with the slow, twanging guitar bit of the Bond theme.
4. Earl Cameron's line IS here...makes no sense since Pender was NOT in the helicopter with 007 and Felix.
5. Original churning sound of the underwater sleds is in this scene.
6. (the BIG difference here) An alternate take with slightly different camera angles and Adolpho Celi is UNDUBBED!! I swear that it is his own voice here.. I got quite a shock..
7. Poorly edited and very choppy score (it just jumps and cuts in a few places) during this scene!

I think these are the main differences which I can recall at the moment, but I thought it would be fun to see if anyone else has noticed this with their Thunderball UE DVD!

#2 col_007

col_007

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 06:06 PM

I have become increasingly annoyed with all the new and improved sound effects that were added

Isn't that on all the other UE DVDs some of the sound effects on the ohmss UE DVD sound different

#3 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 06:14 PM

Another thing that greatly annoys me, is the removal of the red filter/blood in Largo's shark pool, as Quist is being devoured. It's a great, somewhat iconic and menacing piece of imagery, and without it the scene has no substantial visual payoff.

#4 The Dove

The Dove

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16671 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 06:17 PM

I have become increasingly annoyed with all the new and improved sound effects that were added

Isn't that on all the other UE DVDs some of the sound effects on the ohmss UE DVD sound different

Indeed col_007...the OHMSS updated soundtrack features new machine gun sound effects (which were terrible) and the clock tower bell actually chiming when Bond is running out of time in Gumbold's office.. In this case, I found just switching to the original Mono soundtrack restored everything properly!!

#5 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 07:15 PM

Well that has just about sealed for me any desire to upgrade to the UE's.

Oh dear, oh dear.

#6 Gogol Pushkin

Gogol Pushkin

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 164 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 10:12 PM

Another thing that greatly annoys me, is the removal of the red filter/blood in Largo's shark pool, as Quist is being devoured. It's a great, somewhat iconic and menacing piece of imagery, and without it the scene has no substantial visual payoff.

On the UE DVD, it's quite clear the red filter has been removed, but if you watch the film on Blu Ray, it's been restored to its correct colour I noticed, or at least I think it has. It seems more redder in high definition.

#7 Royal Dalton

Royal Dalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4542 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 11:26 PM

The red in that shot was left off the video master for the Region 2 release by accident. It was corrected for the later Region 1 and Blu-ray releases.

#8 Gogol Pushkin

Gogol Pushkin

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 164 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 11:30 PM

The red in that shot was left off the video master for the Region 2 release by accident. It was corrected for the later Region 1 and Blu-ray releases.

That's not the only thing to be left off the Region 2 releases I've noticed. I wasn't aware that other regions had access to Mono soundtracks, whilst Region 2 (or at least UK releases) only have access to 5.1 and DTS soundtracks.

#9 MarkA

MarkA

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 11:31 PM

Plus all the original soundtrack has been put back on the DTS track. Who says they don't listen to us fans.

#10 PrinceKamalKhan

PrinceKamalKhan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11139 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 11:48 PM

I was watching Thunderball (Ultimate Edition DVD) a few nights ago and as I have become increasingly annoyed with all the new and improved sound effects that were added, I decided to watch the movie with the Original English Mono soundtrack..and boy did I get quite a surprise!! You get a different version of the film!! Ok I'm sure we all know that different versions of Thunderball exsist (i.e Connery's line "Sorry old chap, better luck next time!" vs "Well you can tell about the one that got away!" etc..) but apparently if you watch the movie with the default audio you get one version, and if you switch to the Original mono sound, you get the other version!! So here are the differences which I noticed:

Default Audio:
1. Horrible new clanking sound when Largo opens the secret door to get into the SPECTRE meeting..
3. Alternate music when Bond helps Domino get her foot unstuck from the coral reef (totally different..)
4. The correctly removed Earl Cameron line "Manta Ray!! Unusual to see them as far out as this!"
5. The horrible new sound of the underwater sleds..again I really don't know why they had to change the sound effects!!
6. The scene where Largo threatens to torture Domino.."You've given me much pleasure, Domino!" this is normal.
7. John Barry's score flows very nicely and is editied perfectly for the underwater battle..

Original Mono audio:
4. Earl Cameron's line IS here...makes no sense since Pender was NOT in the helicopter with 007 and Felix.
6. (the BIG difference here) An alternate take with slightly different camera angles and Adolpho Celi is UNDUBBED!! I swear that it is his own voice here.. I got quite a shock..
7. Poorly edited and very choppy score (it just jumps and cuts in a few places) during this scene!

I think these are the main differences which I can recall at the moment, but I thought it would be fun to see if anyone else has noticed this with their Thunderball UE DVD!

Does either version feature John Barry's dramatic orchestral version of TB over the end credits? I like that far more (at least in the context of TB's end credits, that is) than the reprise of the original 1962 version of the James Bond theme that's in the SE DVD I currently have.

#11 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 03:51 PM

This must be a region one only thing, because I can't seem to get it on mine. :(

#12 The Dove

The Dove

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16671 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 05:17 PM

Default Audio:

Original Mono audio:

Does either version feature John Barry's dramatic orchestral version of TB over the end credits? I like that far more (at least in the context of TB's end credits, that is) than the reprise of the original 1962 version of the James Bond theme that's in the SE DVD I currently have.

Nope..The James Bond Theme is used over the end credits in both versions, PrinceKamal. Sorry to disappoint.

#13 PrinceKamalKhan

PrinceKamalKhan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11139 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 05:28 PM

Default Audio:

Original Mono audio:

Nope..The James Bond Theme is used over the end credits in both versions, PrinceKamal. Sorry to disappoint.

Thanks, Dove. I'd be more disappointed if I found this out after investing money in purchasing the UE DVD.

#14 Double-Oh Agent

Double-Oh Agent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4325 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 06:36 AM

Default Audio:

Original Mono audio:

That's odd. I wonder why it was left out. Since multiple versions were originally released in theaters and they have released two versions for the UE DVDs, you would think they would have done--and should have done--the original differing US and UK versions for the DVD. To release two different versions but not have them be the originals is ridiculous. :tdown:

Another question, when Bond is chased in the underwater cave does a version of the Chateau Flight cue play or is it missing?

#15 The Dove

The Dove

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16671 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 05:06 PM

Default Audio:

Original Mono audio:

That's odd. I wonder why it was left out. Since multiple versions were originally released in theaters and they have released two versions for the UE DVDs, you would think they would have done--and should have done--the original differing US and UK versions for the DVD. To release two different versions but not have them be the originals is ridiculous. :tdown:

Another question, when Bond is chased in the underwater cave does a version of the Chateau Flight cue play or is it missing?

As far as I know, Double-Oh Agent, the music is the same in both versions of the film when Bond is chased and trapped in the underwater ship/cave..as for the Bond theme, It makes sense to me that it was replaced for the end credits music.. I don't much care for John Barry's original ending them and the producers probably felt that the Bond theme would work better for when Bond and Domino are zipped into the air by the sea-rescue plane..and so it was a change that they made for both versions of the movie I guess.

#16 Mr. Somerset

Mr. Somerset

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1760 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 09:12 PM

I also prefer the John Barry TB version of the Bond theme at the end credits. Seems to flow more smoothly. I think the only way to get a version of this is to find an old vhs copy of the film. I do prefer the original mono track as opposed to the default in the UE. I loathe the lack of the guitar in the underwater sequence where he frees Domino.
As I recall the UE version of LALD changed the music slightly after Bond escapes the crocodile island and is lighting a torch. Very lackluster.

#17 Shaun Forever

Shaun Forever

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1067 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 06:04 PM

I still don't understand why they do this, who's idea is it to put different versions on DVD's? it's all a bit odd.

Found this, some might find interesting

#18 The Dove

The Dove

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16671 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 04:36 PM

I still don't understand why they do this, who's idea is it to put different versions on DVD's? it's all a bit odd.

Found this, some might find interesting

Thanks for posting that vid, Shaun!! Yup those are pretty much the main differences I noticed when viewing the "Original Mono" version a week ago.. It's puzzling! :|

#19 col_007

col_007

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 09:11 PM

Did we get different soundtracks on the UE DVDS in region 2 :confused:

#20 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 11:48 PM

Nope.

#21 bondrules

bondrules

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2190 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 01:35 AM

The underwater scene (in discussion) is far more effective w/o music. IMHO.

The Thunderball variation at the end is much more preferable too over the one used in the UE.

#22 Neil S. Bulk

Neil S. Bulk

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 293 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 05:56 AM

The Thunderball Blu-ray does not use the same 5.1 track as the region 1 UE DVD. Instead it goes back to the previous multi-channel mix which was first heard on the 1996 laser disc, presented then only in Dolby Surround. Later that track showed up on the Dolby Digital laserdisc and all versions of the DVD prior to the UE, which was an all new mix featuring revised sound effects. This 1996 mix is far more faithful to the films 1965 mix than the mix on the UE DVD.

Neil

#23 Qbranch

Qbranch

Cadet

• Crew
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 07:21 PM

Reading this topic with interest.
Thunderball I'm discovering has many various facets.
Can someone tell me if the Blu Ray version of TB in the Bond 50 set... has the mono audio track like the U/ED disk ?
I have the Special edition set and it certainly does not have this.
Secondly the Blu Ray version of TB that was released earlier... does this have the same extras as theTB in Bond 50 blu ray box set ?
Thank you.

#24 Double-0-Seven

Double-0-Seven

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2710 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:18 AM

I can't remember off hand if the Blu-ray has the mono audio track option, but yes, the earlier Thunderball Blu-ray release is identical to the one in the Bond 50 set. Same transfer and extras.

#25 Qbranch

Qbranch

Cadet

• Crew
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:12 AM

Can some one please tell me the difference between the Two-Disc Ultimate Edition DVDs
eg Thunderball

One has Gold color cover the other modern Blue/Grey cover ..
Thank you.