25 replies to this topic

#1 scaramunga

scaramunga

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1083 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 02:27 PM

The Open University's The Spy Who Loved Me documentary is very well done and is one of the most interesting film documentaries that I have seen.

I am curious of why the series has never been given a proper DVD / blu ray release. It would make sense to include in with The Spy Who Loved Me blu ray, whenever that is released...

Does anyone have more information on why this documentary was commissioned?

#2 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 02:35 PM

I remember a rejigged take on it came out around the time GOLDENEYE was released - i.e. they looked at that film and its marketing I believe, but had all this great footage of the making of SPY thrown in too.

#3 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 02:37 PM

Haven't even heard of this. What's the story on it?

#4 scaramunga

scaramunga

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1083 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 02:46 PM

Haven't even heard of this. What's the story on it?

I'm guessing it was made for a film major at the Open University.

The making of The Spy Who Loved Me
DE353 Mass Communications & Society
BBC TV - Open University

1: Producing 24:11
2: Designing 22:23
3; Also Starring... 20:06
4: Organising 23:54
5: Shooting Scene 341 23:19
6: Shooting Scene 330 24:15
7: Editing and Composing 23:42
8: Selling 22:39

Total run time 184:29

That's about all I know.

: )

#5 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 03:29 PM

WOW! A three hour documentary on TSWLM!

Who do I have to bribe, steal from or....*ahem*...er "remove from the equation considerably"?

This sounds excellent.

#6 sthgilyadgnivileht

sthgilyadgnivileht

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1854 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 04:36 PM

You can buy this on the web, it's well worth the investment. The interview with Broccoli is my favourite part. Well over twenty minutes in total it's worth buying for that reason alone IMO.
On a side note there is a bit where Broccoli is interviewed and has to spit out an olive pip (?) mid sentence and gives a cheeky grin which I thought was priceless.
The profile of Ken Adam is equally good.
It's also a great perspective into film making and illustrates exactly how much is involved to film one single scene.
A very small portion was released on the THX Edition of the DVD in the US, probably around 1998 time.
As to why it was never released my guess is too much red tape - or that no one thought it would be worth it.

The equivalent 'Film education - a day life of Goldeneye' was available on youtube, but it's been deleted now. There was also one for TND as well.

#7 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 04:38 PM

Do you have a link to where we can buy this, sthgilyadgnivileht? Maybe best to PM it to us.

#8 sthgilyadgnivileht

sthgilyadgnivileht

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1854 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 04:40 PM

PM is on the way.

#9 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 07:18 PM

An eight part series??

I thought it was only a six part documentary.

Could you post a link please.

#10 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 07:33 PM

Do you have a link to where we can buy this, sthgilyadgnivileht? Maybe best to PM it to us.

What he said. If you don't mind. TSWLM is my most viewed Bond.

#11 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 09:01 PM

Many thanks to Living Daylights (etc).

Duly bought and eagerly awaited.

This will be a major trip down memory lane to when times were that I would weekly scour the UK Radio Times small print sections of the TV listings that were given over to when OU was broadcast at 6am and other such unheard of and ridiculous times. This was before 24hr TV, when 'Life' started at 9am but OU broadcast for a few hours prior to then. As such, their programmes were listed in hopelessly small print.

So, you can see why I have missed a couple of what I always figured were the full six episodes because, try as one might, one would always miss a repeat viewing because one (me) missed the specific two weeks scouring required of the Radio Times. (In the UK, the TV listings are in the Radio Times - don't ask.)

You see kids, before the internet when everything was RSS'ed, you actually had to 'look' and research.... and sometimes miss.

Fun times.

#12 jrcjohnny99

jrcjohnny99

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 10:16 PM

I remember catching a few parts of this but I've never seen the full thing...
again, a pm with the link would be appreciated!
cheers!

#13 NorthoftheThames

NorthoftheThames

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 29 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 02:38 AM

I would love to see the documentary as well! A PM with the link info would be greatly appreciated sthgilyadgnivileht!

Thank you!

#14 scaramunga

scaramunga

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1083 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 03:24 AM

Hopefully it's given a proper release on The Spy Who Loved Me blu ray. Whenever that happens...

Yes, the entire documentary is great stuff. One of the best film documentaries for a Bond film that I have ever seen.

#15 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 03:47 PM

A superb documentary.

Very intelligent, thoroughly absorbing.

Took me back to the younger days...

#16 scaramunga

scaramunga

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1083 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 03:07 PM

A superb documentary.

Very intelligent, thoroughly absorbing.

Took me back to the younger days...

Agreed. It's a very cool look at film making.

#17 sthgilyadgnivileht

sthgilyadgnivileht

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1854 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 04:46 PM

I think its good because its not full of soundbites and I agree its intelligence is a lot of its appeal. I've put some of the GE equivalent, which was a BBC Film Education special (although much shorter in length to the OU one on Spy) on youtube here.

#18 lazenbyland

lazenbyland

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 199 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 11:04 PM

I remember this in the seventies. It was just listed as 'James Bond 5' or whatever the episode was. It was very good but as pointed out, usually on at 6:30 am or some other ungodly hour at the weekend. No video recorders in those days so if you missed it, tough.

Edited by lazenbyland, 06 August 2010 - 11:04 PM.

#19 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 01:26 PM

An interesting element in the editing portion was that Gilbert steadfastly confirmed that Bond would never send a junior to do his work, only for the chap in question to be killed. This was the scene on board the Liparus when they were trying to attack the control room, and a sub captain volunteered to storm the shutters, only to be mown down.

And yet, this scene remains intact.

#20 sthgilyadgnivileht

sthgilyadgnivileht

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1854 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 02:02 PM

Yeah I thought that. Maybe they did a flip 180 on it in the end. I always thought though that Gilbert suggesting Bond would never send a junior etc was wrong in the case of this scene as the guy volunteered of his own volition, not by orders from Bond. I think the doc shows the reality of film making where decisions are constantly made and re made as the film nears completion.
I was also interested in Bob Simmons's original concept for the death of Stromberg, namely having him blown across the room in a more spectacular fashion, although I like the more theatrical ending we finally got.

#21 tds123

tds123

Recruit

• Crew
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 07:09 PM

Yeah I thought that. Maybe they did a flip 180 on it in the end. I always thought though that Gilbert suggesting Bond would never send a junior etc was wrong in the case of this scene as the guy volunteered of his own volition, not by orders from Bond. I think the doc shows the reality of film making where decisions are constantly made and re made as the film nears completion.
I was also interested in Bob Simmons's original concept for the death of Stromberg, namely having him blown across the room in a more spectacular fashion, although I like the more theatrical ending we finally got.

I would also like the information to order PM Please Thanks

#22 mccartney007

mccartney007

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3406 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 06:20 AM

I am familiar with this, but haven't seen all of it. I'd be interested in seeing it all as well. PM would be much appreciated.

#23 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 06:03 PM

Yes, I'm very interest too. I've seen the Marvin Hamlisch segment, but nothing else.

Please contact me via PM.

#24 mccartney007

mccartney007

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3406 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 06:49 PM

An interesting element in the editing portion was that Gilbert steadfastly confirmed that Bond would never send a junior to do his work, only for the chap in question to be killed. This was the scene on board the Liparus when they were trying to attack the control room, and a sub captain volunteered to storm the shutters, only to be mown down.

And yet, this scene remains intact.

That reminds me of the footage of Guy Hamilton on the set of LIVE AND LET DIE in which he's talking about how Bond would never be seen in unglamorous places. You know, like garbage-filled alleys in Harlem.

#25 zerominus

zerominus

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 88 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 08:40 AM

If there was no recording in the 70s, how does this footage still exist (I'm assuming it's not an 'official' release)? Also, a question to those that have purchased, what is the picture quality like?

#26 sthgilyadgnivileht

sthgilyadgnivileht

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1854 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 11:02 AM

I don't know how the footage exists, maybe someone involved with it at the BBC had a personal copy made. Is it too early for a Betamax recording? However it was done though the quality is very good IMO.