The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 04:43 AM

An entertaining read, at least.

http://fds.oup.com/w...19-815952-8.pdf

An exert from "Spyscreen: espionage on film and TV from the 1930s to the 1960s" by Toby Miller.

#2 Ambler

Ambler

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 09:35 AM

The phallocracy must be stopped. Agents Johann Hari and Gary Younge have been assigned.

#3 Jeao007

Jeao007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 192 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 06:56 PM

I had a good laugh..

#4 Revelator

Revelator

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 06:57 AM

Thanks for posting this. I'm sorry that none of the responses so far have pointed out what makes this article special. I'll briefly answer that by saying that author is extremely knowledgeable and sophisticated when it comes to discussing and classifying several decades of critical reactions to the Bond phenomenon. Secondly, unlike so many of those earlier critics, he is not here to condemn Bond, but to actually study him in context, as a phenomenon that has been less than optimally examined. Some of us tend to forget that academic attention helps keep pop culture going--much of the cultural canon was partly determined by the critics and academics who deemed it worthy of prolonged discussion. Fleming and Bond haven't, amazingly enough, garnered as much attention as one would expect in academia, and articles like these are evidence that the tide is turning. I view that as a very good thing. And you can't beat a last line like "James Bond's penis comes in many sizes."

Edited by Revelator, 05 August 2010 - 07:03 AM.