50 replies to this topic

#1 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 04:28 PM

Headquarters has cleared me to say there will be a major Project X event in London this week, but I can say no more!

(No, I'm not going, but CBn WILL have a man in pocket.)

Attached Files

#2 Jeff007

Jeff007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2076 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 04:30 PM

Happy that CBn has people everywhere. :tup:

#3 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 04:32 PM

The forum update was partially due to fact that we had to "re-task" several of our sat's to cover this.

#4 OmarB

OmarB

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1151 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 06:37 PM

When you say this week, do you mean early in the week? Or Friday? Or Saturday? Stuff like this gets me way anxious.

#5 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 06:45 PM

This is very exciting! :D

#6 double o ego

double o ego

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1261 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 07:11 AM

exciting in deed.

#7 Aris007

Aris007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3037 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 09:45 AM

Really John, you'll go alone? I mean it sounds dangerous! Are you sure you don't want any help? ;)

*jealous*

#8 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 12:55 PM

John isn't going at all. He's just a little bit too much in the wrong country! :)

Any clue as to when this will be? Interesting that they're starting up already on this one.

#9 stromberg

stromberg

Commander RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6841 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 01:49 PM

John isn't going at all. He's just a little bit too much in the wrong country! :)

Yep, that's it. But as John said, CBn will have 'someone' there.

Any clue as to when this will be? Interesting that they're starting up already on this one.

Frankly said, yes, we know a date. But we don't know an exact time and we don't know an exact location (yet).
No use digging deeper, as the invitation says, we're sworn to secrecy until we get a "Go". One of the reasons 'a man from CBn' got an invitation is the fact that we abide by such rules and keep deadlines and news embargoes. No need to put good relations at risk ;)

#10 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 02:24 PM

Yeah, no one knows what this is. I don't. Even the attendees haven't been told. Just a time and location. It's all nice and mysterious. :)

#11 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 02:26 PM

My money's on a title.

#12 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 02:54 PM

It is going to be cool, but other than "our man" in the UK being in on it, the CBn Team are as much in the dark as everyone else. However, the entire CBn Team is quite flattered to be given this chance and as Stromberg stated above, we're playing by the rules.

To quote Burn Notice - "Being a spy isn't about tuxedos and fast cars. It's more like waiting in a dentist's office. You drink a lot of coffee, read some magazines and then wait some more."

But you know what they say about those who wait...

;)

#13 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 06:06 PM

My money's on a title.

I disagree. Why spend time and money on a "Project X" logo, website domain name, and Twitter account if they're going to announce the title this early on?

#14 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 06:12 PM

My money's on a title.

I disagree. Why spend time and money on a "Project X" logo, website domain name, and Twitter account if they're going to announce the title this early on?

That' a good point about how much time and effort has been put into "Project X" imagery, etc. I'm wondering if they might even hold back the title until the day of publications (Double or Die style). Man, if they do, that will be torture.

#15 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 06:27 PM

My money's on a title.

That' a good point about how much time and effort has been put into "Project X" imagery, etc. I'm wondering if they might even hold back the title until the day of publications (Double or Die style). Man, if they do, that will be torture.

Wouldn't surprise me if they did just that but I suspect we'll get a title in April 2011.

#16 Single-O-Seven

Single-O-Seven

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1323 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 06:43 PM

My money's on a title.

Perhaps, in Double or Die fashion, a number of titles will be released and we'll get a chance to vote on them. But that definitely appeals more to children than the adult audience this book is aimed at.

#17 Aris007

Aris007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3037 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 10:17 AM

Come on man! He can take a plane! It's the company's expenses! ;)

Now I guess we'll have a cover design or perhaps it'll be nothing! Just a party for celebrating the new book!

#18 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 10:39 AM

Yep, that's it. But as John said, CBn will have 'someone' there.

Frankly said, yes, we know a date. But we don't know an exact time and we don't know an exact location (yet).
No use digging deeper, as the invitation says, we're sworn to secrecy until we get a "Go". One of the reasons 'a man from CBn' got an invitation is the fact that we abide by such rules and keep deadlines and news embargoes. No need to put good relations at risk ;)

I didn't think that asking what day was really prying all that much! It's pretty hard to crash an event when all you know is that it's happening in London on Friday! :)

Fun (and odd) that they haven't told you where it is, though! Any idea if this is a press thing? I mean: will you be definitely able to say what it is after it happens?

#19 Aris007

Aris007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3037 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 10:45 AM

Fun (and odd) that they haven't told you where it is, though! Any idea if this is a press thing? I mean: will you be definitely able to say what it is after it happens?

You really think that they won't tell us even if they're not allowed to? ;)

#20 stromberg

stromberg

Commander RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6841 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 11:49 AM

What he said. It has nothing to do with fear that someone might crash the event. I couldn't care less. It has to with the fact that we were asked not to tell. And that's all there is to say about it.

They seem to love making a big mystery out of this. From what I can tell, this seems to be a press thing. Invited guests were told individual times on that specific day and that it'll take about half an hour. Not sure if our man knows the exact location - he hasn't told us, yet. I also assume that we will be allowed to tell everything afterwards. I mean, what's the reason for setting up such an event (whatever it may be) to promote something, but no one is allowed to tell anything. Could be that there will be an embargo of some kind, say "Don't publish before Date X, 1900 GMT" in order to avoid disadvantages for those who are on at 1700 and not 1200.

#21 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 11:51 AM

People will be picked up on a lonely county road in the middle of the night and have to weatr hood while being driven in the trunk of an Aston. Extremely exciting!!!!

#22 Aris007

Aris007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3037 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 12:00 PM

What he said. It has nothing to do with fear that someone might crash the event. I couldn't care less. It has to with the fact that we were asked not to tell. And that's all there is to say about it.

They seem to love making a big mystery out of this. From what I can tell, this seems to be a press thing. Invited guests were told individual times on that specific day and that it'll take about half an hour. Not sure if our man knows the exact location - he hasn't told us, yet. I also assume that we will be allowed to tell everything afterwards. I mean, what's the reason for setting up such an event (whatever it may be) to promote something, but no one is allowed to tell anything. Could be that there will be an embargo of some kind, say "Don't publish before Date X, 1900 GMT" in order to avoid disadvantages for those who are on at 1700 and not 1200.

It should be a press conference, I can't think of anything else. And the supposed total secrecy that covers it is to make things more interesting and intriguing. Just like when Dan was presented to the Media. He was taken with a boat with Rangers and so. It's about Bond. It should have spy thriller elements.

#23 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 12:10 PM

Well, yeah. Why would they break a promise?

Yeah okay: I think you think I'm 'digging' for all the info I can get, but I didn't even know you couldn't say when it is, okay? It's a reasonable bloody question for someone who doesn't know what you can and can't say.

#24 Aris007

Aris007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3037 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 12:36 PM

Well apparently nobody knows about it! I just contacted my London-link and it's a better protected secret than "Area 51".

#25 stromberg

stromberg

Commander RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6841 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 12:41 PM

Well, yeah. Why would they break a promise?

Yeah okay: I think you think I'm 'digging' for all the info I can get, but I didn't even know you couldn't say when it is, okay? It's a reasonable bloody question for someone who doesn't know what you can and can't say.

Sorry, thought that it was clear that we told everything that we were allowed to.
You've been on this board for even longer than myself, you know how this whole game works.

Just trying to give a little insight into the perils of press work to everyone.

#26 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 01:09 PM

Well, it's happening NOW.

Looks like Kevin Collette of Our Man From Bond Street is the first to break the news what this is. The Admiral is also there. Details to follow.

#27 Aris007

Aris007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3037 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 01:22 PM

Ho, ho! That was impressive! I can't wait for details from M!

Have you seen where the event took place? Oh, God! It's like masonism for God's sake! :|

#28 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 01:36 PM

I know, great location!

BTW, The Admiral's invite said to just go to the crypt at his appointed time. It didn't give any indication what this would be a meeting with Deaver. Very Bond. :)

(But I sort of guessed what it would be and armed him with some questions. ;))

#29 Aris007

Aris007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3037 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 01:39 PM

(But I sort of guessed what it would be and armed him with some questions. ;))

That's why I love this site!

#30 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 01:46 PM

Yeah okay: I think you think I'm 'digging' for all the info I can get, but I didn't even know you couldn't say when it is, okay?

Actually, I don't think there was any restriction on saying the day. I just decided not to to make it more mysterious. And I knew it was only a couple days wait, not too torturous.