22 replies to this topic

#1 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 03:30 PM

After all those months suddenly the situation has cleared up. The Swiss has finally decided not to extradite him. So, Polanski can return to France or wherever he wants (except the US, of course).

Strange. Why did they hold him for so long then?

http://www.deadline....us-extradition/

#2 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 03:58 PM

Strange. Why did they hold him for so long then?

Perhaps they thought he was made out of stolen gold and art.

#3 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 04:13 PM

If you canĀ“t trust a Swiss (banker)...

#4 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 04:55 PM

now that's nuetrality! B)

#5 Aris007

Aris007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3037 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 05:12 PM

Riiiiiight!

And that's good or not?

#6 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 05:14 PM

Lock up your daughters and unleash your jacuzzi salesmen!

#7 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 05:48 PM

Well, I'll be buggered!

#8 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 06:35 PM

Well, I'll be buggered!

Depends how old you are, I think.

#9 DR76

DR76

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1673 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 07:29 PM

So . . . Roman Polanski continues to avoid paying the consequences of his actions. Not really surprised.

#10 Safari Suit

Safari Suit

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5099 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 07:38 PM

Yeah, this thread's gonna go well

#11 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 08:01 PM

Surprised nobody just tried to revive the Ghost Writer thread for this; whatever happened to that old thing, anyway? B)

#12 Aris007

Aris007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3037 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 11:18 AM

Surprised nobody just tried to revive the Ghost Writer thread for this; whatever happened to that old thing, anyway? :tdown:

I'm on my way! B)

#13 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 01:20 PM

I opened this thread to get rid of the other one.

Well, it seemed like a good idea at the time.

#14 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 01:28 PM

http://www.independe...or-2025067.html

#15 doublenoughtspy

doublenoughtspy

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4122 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 04:12 PM

"if he's our man I'd like to get him away from Switzerland."

I can always tie it in to OHMSS somehow...

#16 Goodnight

Goodnight

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1917 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 07:11 PM

Apparently Whoopi Goldberg said "It wasn't rape rape"

WTF.....she's a very cunny funt isn't she?

#17 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 07:36 PM

Is that still taking into consideration that the victim has forgiven Polanski and was pleading against any extradition?

It does seem that certain people are getting overwhelmed hysteria and sensationalism (less so now, but last year it was pretty overbearing), and Polanski has become something of a whipping boy for 30+ year old crime that has since been come to terms with by the girl and Polanski himself, and NOW the everybody wants his locked up.

I find Johann Hari to be quite a tedious and histrionic termagant. Who seems to get more easily swept up in the emotions of these things more than others. Impassioned, and caring, but often rather misguided and sanctimonious at times.

#18 Sark2.0

Sark2.0

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 332 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 04:21 AM

Apparently Whoopi Goldberg said "It wasn't rape rape"

WTF.....she's a very cunny funt isn't she?

She's gone from that to taking to the air today to defend Mel Gibson, So.... I guess she likes a challenge? Defending the indefensible is a pretty tall order.

Is that still taking into consideration that the victim has forgiven Polanski and was pleading against any extradition?

Completely irrelevant. 27% of hostages show evidence of Stockholm syndrome, should we just drop hostage-taking charges in those cases where the victims feel sympathy for the perpetrators?

It does seem that certain people are getting overwhelmed hysteria and sensationalism

I suppose, if you consider it 'hysterical' for people to insist that the wealthy and powerful be held to the same standards as the rest of us.

I find Johann Hari to be quite a tedious and histrionic termagant. Who seems to get more easily swept up in the emotions of these things more than others. Impassioned, and caring, but often rather misguided and sanctimonious at times.

That's a nice opinion, but it doesn't in any way refute anything Hari said.

#19 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 05:04 AM

Completely irrelevant. 27% of hostages show evidence of Stockholm syndrome, should we just drop hostage-taking charges in those cases where the victims feel sympathy for the perpetrators?

Who says she's a hostage victim? What if she's part of the majority of cases (83% as you quoted) that doesn't develop that particular impairment of judgement?

No. My assertion wasn't 'competently irrelevant' by any regard. It some credence at least.

It does seem that certain people are getting overwhelmed hysteria and sensationalism

I suppose, if you consider it 'hysterical' for people to insist that the wealthy and powerful be held to the same standards as the rest of us.

There's far more to this case than merely his wealth and power. That's a reductionist, somewhat Marxist even take on the situation I don't comply with.

That's a nice opinion, but it doesn't in any way refute anything Hari said.

It targets the mindset that the article sprung from. Nothing is refuted here.

#20 0024

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 194 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 07:58 PM

I've seen a few of his films and he's a gifted filmmaker. To me, this all just reinforces that Hollywood perceives rules don't apply to them like they do to other folks, and 'the system' doesn't come down hard enough on them and allows them to get away with it. He was wrong back then, and he's wrong now. Tragic.

#21 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 10:12 PM

I don't see how her forgiveness or lack thereof is relevant. The law doesn't (and shouldn't) work like that. It works on the basis of "Was a crime committed?", and not on the basis of "So how does the alleged victim now seem to feel about things all these years on?". For if Polanski were to be prosecuted, it wouldn't just be on Samantha Geimer's behalf. It would be on society's behalf.

Who says she's a hostage victim? What if she's part of the majority of cases (83% as you quoted) that doesn't develop that particular impairment of judgement?

No. My assertion wasn't 'competently irrelevant' by any regard. It some credence at least.

There's far more to this case than merely his wealth and power. That's a reductionist, somewhat Marxist even take on the situation I don't comply with.

But who is calling for Polanski to be prosecuted because of his wealth and power? No one, as far as I can tell. There would be just as much revulsion over a thirteen-year-old being raped by a homeless, destitute man. Still, I don't see how it's "Marxist" to believe that everyone should be equal under the law.

#22 glidrose

glidrose

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 10:20 PM

I know I shouldn't reactive this thread, but I can't help posting this link about Hari.

#23 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 10:56 AM

I know I shouldn't reactive this thread, but I can't help posting this link about Hari.

From the link:

So here is my take on Mr Hari. On reporting trips on the other side of the world, far from the watchful gaze of his editors, he plagiarised and embellished quotes (though he still denies accusations of inventing some of his most dramatic facts). Now he is admitting to wrong-doing and apologising, but only after getting caught, years later.
I have met too many journalists like that, and their flaw was not one of training. At the risk of being pompous, it was one of character. The Independent's editor, Chris Blackhurst, announces today that there is "no doubting [Mr Hari's] talent as a columnist and we are hoping to see him back in the not too distant future."
What does that say about British journalism?

Not at all. Thanks for reminding me.