#1 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 06:57 PM

Hey, it's me. :tdown:

I oftentimes frequent a bad movie site known as the agony booth, and just a few days ago, they posted... well, this: B)

http://www.agonyboot...Golden_Gun.aspx

Hope you enjoy; if you disagree, either post about it here, or on the agony booth's forum for it. :tdown:

#2 TheREAL008

TheREAL008

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1190 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 03:29 AM

Totally disagree. I wonder if the reviewer has seen Moonraker?

TMWTGG may not be one of the gems of Sir Roger's era, but I'd takt it over Moonraker anyday. Maybe it's because I'm a fan of the 70's or maybe I'm sick and tired of people trashing the film. Every Bond actor has at least one bad film in the cannon...but who really cares? One film is just as good as another.

(Until you get to Bronsan's era B) )

#3 coco1997

coco1997

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 04:24 PM

Hey, it's me. :tdown:

I oftentimes frequent a bad movie site known as the agony booth, and just a few days ago, they posted... well, this: B)

Are you still banned from the site? I didn't notice your name amongst the replies.

#4 AMC Hornet

AMC Hornet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5857 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 05:54 PM

Thanks, Mendo, for straightening me out. I thought I'd always liked TMWTGG, but your erudite comments and judicious use of the phrase "James Bond is [censored]ing useless" has brought me around to your (proper) way of thinking.

Watching that video was like a visit with my elder brother. "Here's how it works - you tell me the name of a movie you like and I'll tell you all the reasons you are wrong for liking it. After you apologize, you tell me the name of a movie you don't like, and again I'll tell you why you are wrong. Then I'll tell you about movies I like and dislike and you just sit there quietly nodding in agreement with me."

Has Mendo ever actually created anything? He says he's going after It's A Wonderful Life next. I can't wait to hear his critical comments about how bad Citizen Kane is.

#5 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 05:58 PM

I honestly thought this thread title read 'Mr Mendes has heart attack."

:|

#6 AMC Hornet

AMC Hornet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5857 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 06:35 PM

Oh well, maybe next time....

#7 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 07:19 PM

Are you still banned from the site? I didn't notice your name amongst the replies.

I am amongst the replies; @MattPB is the name, over there. :)

Thanks, Mendo, for straightening me out. I thought I'd always liked TMWTGG, but your erudite comments and judicious use of the phrase "James Bond is [censored]ing useless" has brought me around to your (proper) way of thinking.

Watching that video was like a visit with my elder brother. "Here's how it works - you tell me the name of a movie you like and I'll tell you all the reasons you are wrong for liking it. After you apologize, you tell me the name of a movie you don't like, and again I'll tell you why you are wrong. Then I'll tell you about movies I like and dislike and you just sit there quietly nodding in agreement with me."

Has Mendo ever actually created anything? He says he's going after It's A Wonderful Life next. I can't wait to hear his critical comments about how bad Citizen Kane is.

Why don't you reply to him, then? There's a message board related to the video (which I posted under the link) that you could very easily register for to join the discussion; I'm sure he'd love to hear your reasoning... ;)

#8 elizabeth

elizabeth

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2285 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 04:52 AM

"Least-loved"? [censored] them.

#9 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 03:32 PM

Again, there's a link to the thread for those who wish to respond right at the top... ;)

#10 elizabeth

elizabeth

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2285 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 10:42 PM

Again, there's a link to the thread for those who wish to respond right at the top... ;)

I'm not going to waste my time saying that to a bunch of no-minds. Probably would get banned anyway.

#11 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 10:50 PM

I'm not going to waste my time saying that to a bunch of no-minds. Probably would get banned anyway.

Probably wouldn't; you never know unless you try. :)

#12 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 10:53 PM

Why were you banned, Blanche?

#13 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 11:40 PM

So, he complains about the Asian stereotypes in the movie and then proceeded to play "I'm Turning Japanese" during scenes that take place in CHINA!

#14 AMC Hornet

AMC Hornet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5857 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 12:01 AM

I shall assume that Mendo is a character, or rather a caricature, like Stephen Colbert or Ed Anger. He can't really be such an asshat that he would sincerely pan a movie like It's a Wonderful Life. Rather, he must be deliberately setting himself up as a bufoon to be despised and reviled. If that is the case, then he is 100% successful in his chosen endeavour. I likewise have no desire to join a website just to bite back at him. I'm sure he enjoys plenty of feedback without my contributing.

#15 ChristopherZ22

ChristopherZ22

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 103 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 11:27 AM

This should be an annoying video to any Bond fan, even those that dislike The Man With the Golden Gun (I'm not one of them).

The Turning Japanese song is more suitable for You Only Live Twice since Connery turns Japanese and because it is in Japan. Someone should have told this guy that The Man With the Golden Gun is in Thailand and Roger Moore never turns Asian.

#16 AMC Hornet

AMC Hornet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5857 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 08:23 PM

You can always tell a critic, but you can never tell him anything.

#17 Achille Aubergine

Achille Aubergine

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 101 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 08:59 PM

I like a lot TMWTGG. It's a shame that Maibaum and Mankiewicz didn't exploited further the energy crisis plot.

#18 coco1997

coco1997

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 09:20 PM

#19 jamie00007

jamie00007

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 07:07 AM

The guy is just a character, like the Nostalgia Critic or Angry Video Game Nerd. Nothing to take seriously or take offense to.

The "Feeling japanese" montage was hilarious.

Edited by jamie00007, 12 December 2010 - 07:10 AM.

#20 Mr Mendo

Mr Mendo

Recruit

• Crew
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 December 2010 - 05:07 AM

He can't really be such an asshat that he would sincerely pan a movie like It's a Wonderful Life.

I wouldn't go so far as to call myself an asshat, but yes, I did pan IAWL

Also, I'm well aware that the sequence in question didn't take place in Japan, I was merely illustrating that despite the fact that they were in Thailand, there were numerous Japanese cliches (sumo, fuku, etc.).

Still, I'm glad so many of you have taken an interest in my work. I hope you'll stay tuned in the future...

#21 Debussy Galore

Debussy Galore

Recruit

• Crew
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 07:09 AM

Yes, why were you banned, Blanche? We're all dying to know!