10 replies to this topic

#1 triviachamp

triviachamp

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1400 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 12:08 AM

I always wondered who played this character. She was unbilled in the film and the imdb does not list her in the uncredited cast members so I can only assume she was some tourist or expat hired for that scene. Can anyone clear this up? Has her identity been lost to the mists of time?

#2 Jeff007

Jeff007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2076 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 12:43 AM

In the James Bond Encyclopedia by John Cork and Collin Stutz it says that Maybel Pepper is played by Jay Sidow. Page 160.

#3 triviachamp

triviachamp

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1400 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 01:06 AM

In the James Bond Encyclopedia by John Cork and Collin Stutz it says that Maybel Pepper is played by Jay Sidow. Page 160.

Thanks!

Considering that there is no "Jay Sidow" in the imdb I assume that means that she was either a tourist or an expat.

#4 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 10 July 2010 - 07:41 AM

Can't remember if there was any mention of her in the commentary track.

#5 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 09:01 AM

Why would she be uncredited? She has a speaking part in two scenes.

#6 triviachamp

triviachamp

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1400 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 11:07 PM

Well the role was really small and back in those days they didn't have to credit pretty much everyone with a speaking part. I recall that Tanner, the nieces, and Chewmee weren't credited either.

#7 Jeff007

Jeff007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2076 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 05:52 AM

Great topic. Never thought to ask her name. Steven Jay Rubin's encyclopedia had nothing on her.

#8 triviachamp

triviachamp

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1400 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 07:18 PM

Did she? I don't recall her face. Did we ever actually see her speak? Is it possible someone else provided the voice?

She was with JW at the scene at the docks where he first sees Bond and where he says the often misquoted ( B) ) line "Elephants! We're Democrats Maybelle!". And she does talk on screen, I think. As for her being dubbed you could look at her lips and find out. :tdown: I suppose if she was dubbed then there would be some evidence of this at the recording studio.

#9 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 01:21 AM

Did she? I don't recall her face. Did we ever actually see her speak? Is it possible someone else provided the voice?

Yeah, she says:- "Oh look, J.W.! I just got to have me one of those cute little elephants!"

#10 George White

George White

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 95 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 09:20 AM

SImilarly, does anyone know who played Billy Bob, Pepper's brother in law in LALD.

#11 glidrose

glidrose

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 08:31 PM

Thanks!

Considering that there is no "Jay Sidow" in the imdb I assume that means that she was either a tourist or an expat.

There is now a listing. But no credits...

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm5767051/

Well the role was really small and back in those days they didn't have to credit pretty much everyone with a speaking part. I recall that Tanner, the nieces, and Chewmee weren't credited either.

Rather odd that Tanner wasn't credited. Michael Goodliffe was a fairly promiment British actor. A favorite of directors like Michael Powell, Lewis Gilbert and Guy Hamilton, and others.

SImilarly, does anyone know who played Billy Bob, Pepper's brother in law in LALD.

Yeah, some fat white guy.