18 replies to this topic

#1 TheREAL008

TheREAL008

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1190 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 03:23 PM

Anyone else here might be interested in seeing a Bond RPG stylized after Alpha Protocol, just done differently and better?

From what I've observed of AP from youtube clips I can't help but thin that elements of an espionage RPG would work very well in a Bond setting. You could customize Bond anyway you could imagine - give him either an original appearance or have him look like the actor of your choice. Give him whatever stats you prefer your character to have et. cetra.

The story would be very original from start to finish and you could choose the outcomes of missions, feel free to share ideas if anyone is interested in discussing.

As for me, I think it could work well, but it has to be done right by a developer and not look like a rush job that would hurt the potential game's sales factor.

#2 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 03:28 PM

Yeah, I think that's an interesting and fresh thought, Real008.

Do you have any of the old Bond RPGs? Kind of fun, especially the original stories (one of which was written by Raymond Benson of course).

#3 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 03:48 PM

I think that it would be great as well, but right now I wouldn't be in favor of it. There have been very, very few Activision games that I've found to be good at all, so I can't say I'd be in favor Activision taking such an approach to Bond game making simply because I don't think they could pull it off. If it was a different developer, then I'd say go for it.

#4 darthbond

darthbond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 839 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 04:20 PM

Let's see... Great games by Activision.... The Call of Duty games, Jedi Knight 2&3, Republic Commando, Guitar Hero 2,3 and Metallica, Quake, etc.

darthbond

#5 TheREAL008

TheREAL008

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1190 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 04:31 PM

Yeah, I think that's an interesting and fresh thought, Real008.

Do you have any of the old Bond RPGs? Kind of fun, especially the original stories (one of which was written by Raymond Benson of course).

Actually, I wishlisted a few on my amazon account.

#6 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 04:45 PM

Prefer a 3rd person GTA-like sandbox, personally.

#7 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 04:52 PM

Played the RPG's for years. When Bond came along in '83 I and my fellow players were over the moon about it. I still have all the Victory Games stuff.

Bryce spun out of a character sheet back in '78. I figured then that if Fleming had "stolen" the name Bond from a book on birds I could steal Bryce from Bond's alias/cover in LALD. So I did.

RPG's have faded out, but I always considered it inter-active story telling with the actions and results being determined by the roll of dice and what stats you carried. During my college years a lot of Coca-Cola and cigarettes fueled many a late night and in our universe the Double-O's were a force of nature.

A number of us still believe that during the '89-'95 Bond hiatus of the films that James Cameron secretly bugged our garage to create the story for True Lies.

004 was flying Harrier jets around office buildings in 1992 Dammit!

Great memories of those times.

#8 K1Bond007

K1Bond007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4932 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 11:15 PM

Prefer a 3rd person GTA-like sandbox, personally.

The same people who did all the GTA games including 4 and the latest Old West game Red Dead Redemption (which I've heard nothing but good things about) are doing a game called Agent. Looks like it'll be out next year.

As for the RPG, sure it sounds good, but Activision isn't as versatile as other game studios if you ask me. I just can't picture an RPG from them. For the past decade they've made a name for themselves with big budget first-person shooters. That's what they mainly do.

I do wish a Bond game would come along and prove that you can be wildly successful without being in any way associated either through similar gameplay or through name to GoldenEye. Everything or Nothing was pretty solid, though not as successful (as it probably should have been). I really hope the Bizarre developed game will really change the landscape. We'll see.

#9 Quantumofsolace007

Quantumofsolace007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3488 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 02:28 AM

James Bond 007 for game boy was kinda like an RPG.

#10 bondrules

bondrules

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2190 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 02:34 AM

Red Dead Redemtion is a masterpiece from what I've seen. And being the old west fan that I am, it's a must for console owners. I might finally buy one this xtmas just to play that game.

#11 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 02:41 AM

I'm really disappointed Alpha Protocol was rushed out of production. Word is it's absolutely horrendous. I would love a Bond RPG, I think the spy world is perfect for that sort of gameplay. It's a shame that this will likely never happen.

#12 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 06:05 AM

Red Dead Redemtion is a masterpiece from what I've seen. And being the old west fan that I am, it's a must for console owners. I might finally buy one this xtmas just to play that game.

I'm about a third of the way through the game and I'm actually in love with it. It's everything people say it is and more. It feels miles ahead of Grand Theft Auto 4, there's just so much to do in this world they created.

Stories not too shabby either.

#13 bondrules

bondrules

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2190 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 02:40 PM

I'm about a third of the way through the game and I'm actually in love with it. It's everything people say it is and more. It feels miles ahead of Grand Theft Auto 4, there's just so much to do in this world they created.

Stories not too shabby either.

Even the dialogue is great. There is a line about a character being happy his wife died in a video review I saw. Hopefully by Xtmas the price will come down to the 30 dollar range.

#14 K1Bond007

K1Bond007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4932 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 04:39 PM

I'm really disappointed Alpha Protocol was rushed out of production. Word is it's absolutely horrendous. I would love a Bond RPG, I think the spy world is perfect for that sort of gameplay. It's a shame that this will likely never happen.

A lot of friends of mine say that once you get over a couple issues that it's actually a pretty good game. It seems like a standard Obsidian developed game. They did Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic II. They kind of have a reputation of putting out really solid games, close to greatness, but often times buggy and lacking polish. Case and point KOTOR (developed by BioWare - who we really want to develop this Bond RPG idea) versus KOTOR2. Both good games, but one is more buggy and lacking a certain amount of polish. There's also a sizable controversy about the ending being lopped off due to LucasArts rushing the game out the door.

#15 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 04:48 PM

We're talking computer stuff here then? In that case, I've shown my age and clearly am out of the loop on the rest of this. Nothing against any of this but when I hear/read "RPG" I think character sheets, multi-sided dice and a good plot/story governed by a game master.

Maybe I am getting to being "too old for this B)."

Dammit, I can still roll an "01" on a head shot though.

#16 K1Bond007

K1Bond007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4932 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 06:23 PM

As long as you're still under the mandatory retirement age of 45. :tdown: We may however have to have a serious talk with someone else in this thread though. B)

#17 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 06:39 PM

OK. Not too late then. Although Chapter 43 in the life of Bryce is coming up in November. Maybe a few more good assignments before November of 2012. One can hope. B)

#18 Quantumofsolace007

Quantumofsolace007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3488 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 04:36 PM

Anyone else here might be interested in seeing a Bond RPG stylized after Alpha Protocol, just done differently and better?

From what I've observed of AP from youtube clips I can't help but thin that elements of an espionage RPG would work very well in a Bond setting. You could customize Bond anyway you could imagine - give him either an original appearance or have him look like the actor of your choice. Give him whatever stats you prefer your character to have et. cetra.

The story would be very original from start to finish and you could choose the outcomes of missions, feel free to share ideas if anyone is interested in discussing.

As for me, I think it could work well, but it has to be done right by a developer and not look like a rush job that would hurt the potential game's sales factor.

I love Alpha protocol (in rome right now I think I'll be replaying this game a few times)

As for a bond RPG I'd welcome it with open arms in fact i'm sad there won't be an alpha Protocol 2.

#19 Blonde Bond

Blonde Bond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2006 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 07:49 AM

Yes, some developer could make an RPG-Bond and I'd welcome it with open arms.

It's like I've said to myself ; RDR was everything I hoped what it woul be. AP was more than I expected after the reviews kicked in and even before that.

But I kept my head and formed my own opinion by playing the game myself. My opinion seems to be in contrast to other opinions by most of the reviewers. I actually played the game through twice and loved almost every minute of it.

In my opinion a spy themed rpg works. Would even work for Bond if a good developer would be attached to work in the project.