51 replies to this topic

#1 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 03:32 PM

Anyone ever had a favourite author, or script writer that they wouldn't mind seeing write a Bond movie?

I wouldn't mind seeing Steven Moffat actually, but that's just me.

#2 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 03:56 PM

Good thread MHarkin.

I would not put Moffat up though. Far from it.

But other names....

Stephen Poliakoff, Tony Kushner, Paul Andrews Williams, Jason Reitman, Tony Grisoni, Tom Ford, Alex Garland, Tom Stoppard, Charlie Brooker and Steven Knight.

#3 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 04:00 PM

Tom Ford, Zorin?

I liked A SINGLE MAN, actually, but I didn't think the script was its strongest point.

#4 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 04:12 PM

Tom Ford, Zorin?

I liked A SINGLE MAN, actually, but I didn't think the script was its strongest point.

As the hub of everything that worked so well in that film I would say it was.

#5 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 04:20 PM

A SINGLE MAN is a film that gets by primarily on its stylish direction and its compelling performances. The script itself is a bit uninteresting and/or shallow; it fails to explore the full potential of its story and characters, often passing over potentially fascinating story elements and situations for more predictable, less interesting material.

Of course, if the script was a complete mess, nothing would work in the film, so that's not to say that Ford is somehow untalented. It's a solid, better-than-average, but nonetheless lackluster effort. Maybe Ford will improve as he continues to develop as a filmmaker, but right now, I'm not convinced screenwriting is his strong suit.

#6 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 04:42 PM

A SINGLE MAN is a film that gets by primarily on its stylish direction and its compelling performances. The script itself is a bit uninteresting and/or shallow; it fails to explore the full potential of its story and characters, often passing over potentially fascinating story elements and situations for more predictable, less interesting material.

Of course, if the script was a complete mess, nothing would work in the film, so that's not to say that Ford is somehow untalented. It's a solid, better-than-average, but nonetheless lackluster effort. Maybe Ford will improve as he continues to develop as a filmmaker, but right now, I'm not convinced screenwriting is his strong suit.

Disagreed.

It is a pitch perfect screenplay touching upon a subject matter with a raw honesty that is not seen in many films (and I don't mean the scenes of emotion). There is an experience and well-judged maturity standing over the script of that film. The other elements work with it, not against it. And how can a film have compelling performances and stylish direction if it has a shallow script? The elements do not work in isolation.

And I would ask if you read the source material which was echoed, mirrored and underlined very well in Ford's screenplay - a literary, academic world from a time when characters would have backstory and intrigue, something the script for A SINGLE MAN has in spades.

#7 Royal Dalton

Royal Dalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4542 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 04:43 PM

Alan Bennett.

#8 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 04:45 PM

Disagreed.

It is a pitch perfect screenplay touching upon a subject matter with a raw honesty that is not seen in many films (and I don't mean the scenes of emotion). There is an experience and well-judged maturity standing over the script of that film. The other elements work with it, not against it. And how can a film have compelling performances and stylish direction if it has a shallow script? The elements do not work in isolation.

And I would ask if you read the source material which was echoed, mirrored and underlined very well in Ford's screenplay - a literary, academic world from a time when characters would have backstory and intrigue, something the script for A SINGLE MAN has in spades.

I agree and, in any event...

The script itself is a bit uninteresting and/or shallow; it fails to explore the full potential of its story and characters, often passing over potentially fascinating story elements and situations for more predictable, less interesting material.

...rarely read a better description of a Bond script.

Man's ideally suited, either way. And nicely suited too.

Note "suit" hilarity.

#9 doublenoughtspy

doublenoughtspy

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4122 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 04:46 PM

An all CBn team:

Zencat: script
Jim: Dialog polish
Charlie: Armourer

And who would direct? Me B)

#10 Quantumofsolace007

Quantumofsolace007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3488 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 04:48 PM

David Goyer
Recent project Blade Trilogy Batman Trilogy (he has written the third one)

Why He should do it. Batman Begins had an extremly bondian feel. The dark
knight had some brilliant characterization and the orignal Blade film had a very darkand gritty feel.

Jonathan Nolan

Recent projects The Dark Knight

why uhm besides the dark knight was amazing no.

Michael G wilson

Projects Licence To Kill For Your Eyes Only Octopussy.

I liked the 80 bond's written by him I hope he does it again at some point.

#11 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 05:09 PM

The elements do not work in isolation.

Of course they don't. Which is why A SINGLE MAN doesn't have an outright poor script. Just a less-than-great one.

Yes, I have read Isherwood's A SINGLE MAN.

#12 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 05:15 PM

David Goyer
Recent project Blade Trilogy Batman Trilogy (he has written the third one)

Why He should do it. Batman Begins had an extremly bondian feel. The dark
knight had some brilliant characterization and the orignal Blade film had a very darkand gritty feel.

Jonathan Nolan

Recent projects The Dark Knight

why uhm besides the dark knight was amazing no.

Michael G wilson

Projects Licence To Kill For Your Eyes Only Octopussy.

I liked the 80 bond's written by him I hope he does it again at some point.

Batman Begins is dull. The Dark Knight is VASTLY overrated and the only reason it's so popular is due to Ledger's death. The writing wasn't ground breaking either. The magic of the film, well at least for me, rested in Ledger's performance.

Plus, Michael Wilson's screenplays have been average at best.

What about some original choices? These guys are too well known. It would be more better to choose people who have delivered some truly remarkable projects.

#13 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 05:22 PM

The writing wasn't ground breaking, either, the magic of the film rested in Ledger's performance.

A tremendous overstatement. Ledger contributed much to THE DARK KNIGHT, it's true, but his presence wasn't the sole reason for THE DARK KNIGHT's popularity.

#14 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 05:25 PM

I really do feel that The Dark Knight wouldn't be as popular if Ledger was still alive. It would've been a summer blockbuster, granted. Would it of really been as massive and popular as it is today?

The writing isn't that special. Of course it does have some really nice moments, every film does, but it's not as great as everyone is making it out to be.

The death of Heath Ledger is what brought the film it's hype. Without that, it would've been just another great film. Personally, I loved it, I thought it was a great film. But it wasn't the film of the century, like everyone made it out to be.

#15 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 05:46 PM

My pick:

The Coen Brothers (to direct as well).

The writing wasn't ground breaking, either, the magic of the film rested in Ledger's performance.

A tremendous overstatement. Ledger contributed much to THE DARK KNIGHT, it's true, but his presence wasn't the sole reason for THE DARK KNIGHT's popularity.

Perhaps. But personally, it's the sole source of any enjoyment I get that out of that film.

However for the Dark Knight, I think the direction is the key to its success. Not the arch, ham-fisted, contrived and often downright portentous screenplay.

#16 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 06:34 PM

I agree about Goyer and BATMAN. I like BEGINS and KNIGHT but do not think they are stunning examples of their type. KNIGHT is heavily overcomplicated when its actually a really threadbare story.

#17 OmarB

OmarB

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1151 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 08:11 PM

I really agree with Goyer getting a shot at Bond. He has this really revernt vibe that takes from the source but is also quite different.

#18 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 08:23 PM

Anyone ever had a favourite author, or script writer that they wouldn't mind seeing write a Bond movie?

I wouldn't mind seeing Steven Moffat actually, but that's just me.

Moffat would be rather great, yes. A clever, original plot with great jokes: what I look for in everything, really. I can't wait to see how Tintin turns out.

Otherwise; how about getting David Wolstencroft? They guy who created Spooks and some recent very enjoyable, quite epic globetrotting spy novels; currently adapting a thriller novel about shadowy motives behind the Lockerbie bombing for the big screen... gotta be worth a look.

#19 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 08:38 PM

I really agree with Goyer getting a shot at Bond. He has this really revernt vibe that takes from the source but is also quite different.

The "quite different" part is what I'm somewhat worried about. That goes for other scribes too, not just Goyer.

Lord Zorin: I fully concur with the notion of Stoppard penning a Bond thriller. First rate choice, though would be convinced about tackling such a project?

#20 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 08:48 PM

Hanif Kureishi.

Or, even better, Peter Flannery, writer of OUR FRIENDS IN THE NORTH, which is the single best thing I've ever seen.

#21 bondrules

bondrules

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2190 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 08:49 PM

I can tell you who I don't want near a Bond script.

JJ Abrahamson and his 2 helpers, Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman. That trio is the most overrated team of producer/writers in all of Hollywood.

Ok, here is someone I haven`t seen mentioned:

William Dodson Broyles, Jr

#22 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 09:51 PM

Disagreed.

I agree and, in any event...

The script itself is a bit uninteresting and/or shallow; it fails to explore the full potential of its story and characters, often passing over potentially fascinating story elements and situations for more predictable, less interesting material.

...rarely read a better description of a Bond script.

Man's ideally suited, either way. And nicely suited too.

Note "suit" hilarity.

Well, see, if I had my druthers, Tom Ford would be kept well away from the Bond series (as a writer or director, anyway - I don't mind if he fancies a go at the costume designing). I watched A SINGLE MAN today, and my reaction was one big fat "meh".

#23 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 10:01 PM

Agreed. Until Ford proves he can write a tough, taut, masculine thriller, then he better be kept away from Bond screenplays with a 20 ft cattle-prod.

I'm sure he's right up Babs's street though, so your suggestion could be seen as something of a wise omen.

#24 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 10:06 PM

I'm sure he's right up Babs's street though

Oh, you know it. I'm half-certain that Ford's already been signed to "contribute" to the BOND 23 script.

#25 triviachamp

triviachamp

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1400 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 10:16 PM

Aaron Sorkin, Judd Apatow, Akiva Goldsman. Oh and Harold Pinter if he was still alive.

#26 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 10:41 PM

Aaron Sorkin, Judd Apatow, Akiva Goldsman.

Judd Apatow? Crickey. B)

Oh and Harold Pinter if he was still alive.

As much as I love the works of Pinter (particularly The Caretaker, which is very close to my heart) I think if he were alive and to write a Bond script (BIG if), I'd be very concerned of his political stance (worlds apart from Fleming and the character of Bond) seeping it's way into some of the dialogue, as it unfortunately did with Haggis in QoS.

#27 triviachamp

triviachamp

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1400 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 11:56 PM

Judd Apatow? Crickey. :tdown:

Oh come on, Russell Brand IS James Bond. B)

Besides we'll get lots of Dick Jokes!

As much as I love the works of Pinter (particularly The Caretaker, which is very close to my heart) I think if he were alive and to write a Bond script (BIG if), I'd be very concerned of his political stance (worlds apart from Fleming and the character of Bond) seeping it's way into some of the dialogue, as it unfortunately did with Haggis in QoS.

Aaron Sorkin would do the same, obviously.

#28 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 12:22 AM

Future writers ... me?

Actually, I'll nominate Tim Minear. The ANGEL episode "Somnambulist" wasn't too original plot-wise (a vampire Angel sired returns to Los Angeles and starts a string of serial killings), but Minear kept the dialogue very fresh.

#29 sthgilyadgnivileht

sthgilyadgnivileht

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1854 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 12:26 AM

Well, see, if I had my druthers, Tom Ford would be kept well away from the Bond series (as a writer or director, anyway - I don't mind if he fancies a go at the costume designing). I watched A SINGLE MAN today, and my reaction was one big fat "meh".

I'm not sure if Tom Ford would write a good Bond script but I liked the film. I thought the performances in particular were very effective. Wouldn't say the story particularly surprised me though.

Agreed. Until Ford proves he can write a tough, taut, masculine thriller, then he better be kept away from Bond screenplays with a 20 ft cattle-prod.

Does the above have to be a pre-requisite for Bond screenwriters? It would surely exclude a lot of potential (good) candidates if it were.

#30 bondrules

bondrules

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2190 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 12:51 AM

delete.