8 replies to this topic

#1 Hotwinds

Hotwinds

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 441 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 01:50 AM

After recently getting the DVD/Blu Ray edition of NSNA and watching and listening to the commentary I am amazed that they were able to make a film this good.
The director mentions Sean as the biggest reason for this.

The producer was in the courts every day so the oposition could ok what they were doing and not stray too far from the book etc. I remember reading that in the fanzine Bondage back in 1983 but the way they spell it out on the DVD makes me wonder how they could have coped with that kind of pressure and also I wish they would have made the film they wanted to make and just not call the hero James Bond.
They would have gotten the funding they needed and help with the end result.
The producer however, wanted the challenge.

I still have my issues with NSNA, and as it turns out, so do the makers of the film as they honestly say in the documentries.
I have to agree that the opening sequence should not have had the theme song laid over it as one example.

At any rate I highly recommend getting the DVD because in this version I got at Cosco for only $8.99 included a Blu Ray disc as well!

Edited by Hotwinds, 28 June 2010 - 02:59 PM.

#2 Safari Suit

Safari Suit

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5099 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 10:03 AM

Even taking into account production problems and the frame they had to work in, I still feel this film could and should have been a much more interesting filn; there are even hints of one in it. Despite that, it's still fun and I've grown fonder of it with time and viewings.

#3 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 10:39 AM

I bloody wish this would hurry up and get released in England.

#4 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 11:09 AM

Even taking into account production problems and the frame they had to work in, I still feel this film could and should have been a much more interesting filn; there are even hints of one in it. Despite that, it's still fun and I've grown fonder of it with time and viewings.

Yes, absolutely correct.

Connery in pre-production interviews gave the impression that they were making FRWL II but with a little more action, but essentially concentrating on the realistic implication of getting to 50 on James Bond.

He was even giving out this kind of stuff so close to production he must have seen a working script (okay, I know it changed it production but surely not so much!).

Now I know a lot of what eminates from Connery's mouth is just a chance to give EON a beating, and with NSNA he clearly had the tool to do it. Somewhere, however, Connery thought "B) it, just give me the cheque."

#5 Gogol Pushkin

Gogol Pushkin

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 164 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 06:10 PM

I know exactly what you mean Mharkin. I live in Northern Ireland though, but a Region B release would be welcome. Although not the biggest fan of NSNA myself, I am fascinated by the history of its production and would love to hear more from the filmmakers themselves about the making of the movie. I always thought the movie would be doomed to vanilla releases on all future formats, but it's great to see that a documentary and commentary have been provided for it.

#6 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 09:13 PM

Having just watched it not too long ago, I agree. NEVER SAY NEVER AGAIN had much unused potential.

But nevertheless, it's an entertaining watch, and it's far from the worst of the Bond flicks (indeed, it has a more coherent story than most of 'em). Connery is clearly having a lot of fun here.

#7 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts
  • Location:"Special envoy" no more. As of 7/5/15 elected to office somewhere in Nottinghamshire, England.

Posted 14 August 2010 - 11:44 PM

I know exactly what you mean Mharkin. I live in Northern Ireland though, but a Region B release would be welcome. Although not the biggest fan of NSNA myself, I am fascinated by the history of its production and would love to hear more from the filmmakers themselves about the making of the movie. I always thought the movie would be doomed to vanilla releases on all future formats, but it's great to see that a documentary and commentary have been provided for it.

While you are waiting for this DVD to be released, you might find the book "The Battle For Bond" by Robert Sellers a very interesting read - not only does it cover the making of NSNA, but also the legal battles surrounding it, and going back further, the making of Thunderball, the court case concerning the Thunderball novel, and even the original screen treatments devised by Messrs. Fleming, McClory and Whittingham before the novel had been written.

It was a bit controversial, to the extent that the publishers were forced withdraw its first edition from publication for legal reasons, before re-issuing a second edition. I bought the first edition, before the legal kerfuffle started.

#8 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 01:39 AM

It was the first one I ever saw on the big screen, for my 9th birthday, in December 1983.

:)

#9 Gogol Pushkin

Gogol Pushkin

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 164 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 08:45 PM

While you are waiting for this DVD to be released, you might find the book "The Battle For Bond" by Robert Sellers a very interesting read - not only does it cover the making of NSNA, but also the legal battles surrounding it, and going back further, the making of Thunderball, the court case concerning the Thunderball novel, and even the original screen treatments devised by Messrs. Fleming, McClory and Whittingham before the novel had been written.

It was a bit controversial, to the extent that the publishers were forced withdraw its first edition from publication for legal reasons, before re-issuing a second edition. I bought the first edition, before the legal kerfuffle started.

Thanks for the heads up Guy, checked it out and defintely going to purchase it. I've read another Robert Sellers book (Bad Boy Drive) and he writes entertaingly, I can't wait to hear how he writes about Bond. As I've said, the whole history and the controversies surrounding the films and McClory's involvement in the production history are fascinating, can't wait to read more.