20 replies to this topic

#1 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 08:47 PM

I think the 2000's have all been about reboots, nearly every franchise has been rebooted in some way. Bond, Batman, Terminator...

But, what if EON decided to make a trilogy of Bond films with an older actor in the role. Not like A View To A Kill, where the lead actor wasn't physically capable for the part, and was playing a younger character.

I'm thinking a long the lines of Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. Now before you bite my head off, I'm not talking about the actual movie, but the whole older Indy thing. One of the more positive aspects of Skull was Indiana's older, wiser look. In fact, I prefer this look to his appearance in the original trilogy, even though I find Raiders, Doom and Crusade far more superior.

If Indy can do it, why not Bond? Plus, why not Dalton? He's still absolutely perfect for the role, and definitely one of the more good looking ageing actors. Plus, I feel that he still looks like James Bond, just older. Now, if the producers tackled this with an older, wiser Bond approach, then it could prove fantastic.

#2 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 08:54 PM

hmm. a geriatric James Bond. they could remake old movies using a senior citizen center as the base of operations.

James Bond in "Oldfinger"
James Bond in "You Only Live a Really Long Time"
James BOnd in " The Man with the Golden Cane"

#3 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 09:39 PM

Hey, I love Dalton and I'd totally be into seeing him back as Bond (NSNA style). But I don't think this idea would appeal to many outside hardcore fandom.

#4 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 10:01 PM

Yeah in reality I don't see MGM/whichever studio being enthusiastic about hiring a 50something guy as the lead.

But I can see that if all across Hollywood suddenly 'older' actors become in vogue, then EON will follow suit!

#5 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts
  • Location:"Special envoy" no more. As of 7/5/15 elected to office somewhere in Nottinghamshire, England.

Posted 23 June 2010 - 10:06 PM

Reading this, I can't help thinking of a pastiche in a book by the late lamented British humourist Alan Coren, entitled "Dr No Will See You Now". It started off with the line "Bond groped around in the dark in search of his false teeth"( or something similar!)

The opportunity for a "mature Bond" film passed with the CR reboot. Come to think of it, didn't we get that film in 1985 with AVTAK? Roger Moore was 58 at the time, and did pretty well in it.

#6 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 10:09 PM

Come to think of it, didn't we get that film in 1985 with AVTAK? Roger Moore was 58 at the time, and did pretty well in it.

The thing is though, Roger was out of shape, and he wasn't really playing an older Bond, he was being as playful as he was in Live and Let Die onwards. There wasn't anything different about him in A View To A Kill, then there was in his previous 6 Bond films. Except the wrinkles, of course. B)

#7 Jeff007

Jeff007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2076 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 10:13 PM

I think this would only work if the series as we know it for some reason comes to an end and they come back with something like this to make another buck on the 007 name.

What would Bond be doing? Would he even still be in the service or will it be him just coping with retirement on his chicken farm? This works in the novel universe but the public may not give it the time of day in the theatre.

Great for the fans though if it would ever happen.

#8 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 10:26 PM

Hollywood loves older people as much as it hates money.

#9 Royal Dalton

Royal Dalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4542 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 11:48 PM

By the time the next Bond film gets off the ground, Daniel Craig will probably be old enough to star in it.

#10 Messervy

Messervy

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1369 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 08:18 AM

That would be a superb idea.

Regarding the plot, we could have something along the lines of John Le Carre's Smiley trilogy, where Smiley is brought back from "retirement" to help unfold a consipracy within the Circus, and ends up traveling the world in search for arch-nemesis Karla (former societ super spy).
Regarding the cast, we could have Dalton (he would be bloody perfect).

And I don't think this would adress only hardcore fans. If written and developped properly (i.e, with real authors), it could deliver something awesome. Spies and moles, world touring, reflections on the past and the way forward, etc.

I'm all for it.

#11 Ytadel

Ytadel

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 56 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 09:36 AM

The last thing we need is another reboot two movies after the last reboot. It would become a joke.

#12 Trident

Trident

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2658 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 11:26 AM

Would not work today. An older Bond would have to be a massive audience magnet, otherwise people just wouldn't go for it. It worked with Connery because basically the vast majority of the moviegoing public regarded him as The Original Bond ™©. Seeing Connery one last time in the role was the major (sole?) attraction of NSNA. It most likely wouldn't have worked with any other actor (well, Richard Burton perhaps, but even that's uncertain), nor would there have been the necessary funds for the flick without Connery.

That aside, while I feel there'd be potential in telling the adventure of an older Bond (btw, what do we consider 'older'? 50-ish? 60-ish? Or are we already down to 40-ish?!?) I don't see such a story spanning a trilogy. Why always spreading the plot over such a scale? It's not epic. It's trite and naff going that I-II-III route time and again. Most film series don't really profit from the scheme, the second entry often the best and the third often best forgotten. I've come to mistrust the Roman numerals in films.

#13 Mr Teddy Bear

Mr Teddy Bear

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1154 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 11:33 AM

The only way I see this happening is if a popular Bond actor grows significantly older (like Rog did) during his tenure and the script writers decide to acknowledge this. I'd love for this to happen with Craig, but realistically no actor can stay in a role that long without becoming stale. Also, it would dig the franchise in a hole it would be hard to get out of, so I don't see this ever happening.

#14 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 11:45 AM

The insurance for such an enterprise would involve more paperwork than an MGM takeover.

#15 Lachesis

Lachesis

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 394 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 11:49 AM

I'm not sure of the particular need for a trilogy but in many ways 'The Rock' and Taken show how it might turn out and I am a fan of both of those films....so I am confident it could work and certainly if Dalton or even Brosnan were involved I would happily pay to see it.

#16 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 11:50 AM

The only way I see this happening is if a popular Bond actor grows significantly older (like Rog did) during his tenure and the script writers decide to acknowledge this. I'd love for this to happen with Craig, but realistically no actor can stay in a role that long without becoming stale. Also, it would dig the franchise in a hole it would be hard to get out of, so I don't see this ever happening.

Craig MIGHT have the legs to continue with it if the gap between Bonds gets longer, in the interim Craig hits solid box-office with other projects and then returns to quality, thought out Bonds (not the rushed shambles of QOS) which continue to enhance the franchise and get top box office returns.

However, not even Bab's lust-o-metre will save Dan if he hits old(er) age, dimishing box office returns and a little public riducule.

#17 Messervy

Messervy

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1369 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 01:28 PM

Also, it would dig the franchise in a hole it would be hard to get out of, so I don't see this ever happening.

That's for sure. If we had such an "older Bond" film, it would inevitably be the last of the franchise, of course.
This is why I think we'll never actually have it.
Although it would be such a great way to "end" Bond's run over the years. A bit of "Rocky Balboa", a bit of "Batman Beyond" (where an old Bruce Wayne teaches a young Batman replacement), a bit of "Space Cowboys": we would get such a terrific movie.

As for the cast, I don't think we would need to wait for a Bond actor to grow popular and old. We could have the film with a new actor straight away. If he's talented (and old!) enough, no problem.
But I would anyway love to have Dalton playing the aged Bond.

Edited by Messervy, 24 June 2010 - 01:46 PM.

#18 Wade

Wade

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 03:32 PM

Hollywood loves older people as much as it hates money.

Truer words, my friend. As Richey's First Law states, "Any question about the entertainment industry that starts with the word 'Why' can be answered with the word 'Money.'" This is a constant.

#19 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 12:22 AM

Hey, I love Dalton and I'd totally be into seeing him back as Bond (NSNA style). But I don't think this idea would appeal to many outside hardcore fandom.

True. Besides, Craig may be 45 before we see him again as Bond...

#20 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 12:29 AM

Besides, Craig may be 45 before we see him again as Bond...

45 is the new 35.

#21 Messervy

Messervy

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1369 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 03:25 PM

Just a new thought on this (I know it will never get done, but we can still have a bit of a dream, eh?) : Michael Caine to play the "old Bond" in a retirement/relay script.