8 replies to this topic

#1 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 10:26 PM

I recently purchased Edge of Darkness, brilliant film. I can't help thinking that this is Martin Campbell's take on Quantum of Solace, but with a few tweaks.

Bond and Craven are clearly avenging loved ones, and the film has a very dark tone. Plus, it's interesting when I look at the knife fight, because I really can see Campbell's take on the Slate/Bond hotel room fight. Also, It's full of interesting shots and stunning cinematography, something which the Bond films are famous for. It's a lot more down to earth as well, which is what I imagined Campbell's Quantum to be like.

So what do you think? Do you think Campbell decided to film this with Quantum in mind? Or is it just a coincidence?

#2 terminus

terminus

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 10:43 PM

Just a coincidence, I'd hazard, as far as plot goes. Given it's based on a 1985 tv-series that Campbell directed. Stylistically, perhaps it is influenced by QOS - but QOS was heavily influenced from other movies.

#3 OmarB

OmarB

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1151 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 10:57 PM

What he said. EOD came first.

#4 Double-Oh Agent

Double-Oh Agent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4325 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 07:44 AM

Sorry Mharkin, but it's just a coincidence. Regardless, Edge Of Darkness is the (much) better film. Please EON bring back Martin Campbell!

#5 bond 16.05.72

bond 16.05.72

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1068 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 07:52 AM

I don't see it personally, can't believe I went to see this at the cinema and not A Prophet which was on at the same.

Save Gibson who's performance deserved better it was very average and Ray Winstone's character was not a good fit, De Niro was supposed to play this part and I think that would have worked much better. Winstone is a good actor but believing him in this part was a stretch for me.

I have my issues with QOS but I thought it was better than this. I have no desire to see this glorified TV film again.

#6 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 04:16 PM

One is much better off ignoring both films (which are quite frankly, overproduced dreck) and watching the original EDGE OF DARKNESS TV series.

Bond Peck is unbeatable.

#7 Nicolas Suszczyk

Nicolas Suszczyk

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3735 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 08:22 PM

Plus, it's interesting when I look at the knife fight, because I really can see Campbell's take on the Slate/Bond hotel room fight.

It reminded me, actually, to a far better scene in the world of Bond: James' and Che Che fight in the Palacio Hotel room in On Her Majesty’s Secret Service.

#8 volante

volante

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1926 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 07:28 AM

One is much better off ignoring both films (which are quite frankly, overproduced dreck) and watching the original EDGE OF DARKNESS TV series.

Bond Peck is unbeatable.

Absolutely; the TV series was ground breaking.

There are only so many "plots" in the world; it does'n t take too much digging to reshape any situation, and change it for your franchise.

It all depends on the viewers perception.

A friend of mine is convinced that "Avatar" is a re-make of "Dances with Wolves"

#9 Safari Suit

Safari Suit

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5099 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 10:24 AM

So is half the world, most publicly the South Park guys (cf. the Dances With Smurfs episode)