43 replies to this topic

#31 Aris007

Aris007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3037 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 12:36 PM

Considering that Deaver talked about a cold war feeling and atmosphere in the novel I want some Russia again.

As for Dubai please no! It's the cosmopolitan, I-can-do-everything-with-my-petrol-money place of today. I don't believe that Bond belongs there!

#32 Quantumofsolace007

Quantumofsolace007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3488 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 02:10 PM

I'm hoping foir an american setting especialkly with this dark grittier 007

Where does it state Deaver is aiming for dark and gritty?

well Novel bond is always dark and gritty. And Deever usually writes a pretty dark.

Considering that Deaver talked about a cold war feeling and atmosphere in the novel I want some Russia again.

As for Dubai please no! It's the cosmopolitan, I-can-do-everything-with-my-petrol-money place of today. I don't believe that Bond belongs there!

Russia Is a great location for a modern bond novel B)

#33 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 08:18 PM

Back to America for a moment (I'm obsessing on the idea of Bond in America today for some reason). I wonder if Bond authors get any pressure (or maybe we should say "encouragement") to set their work at least partially in the U.S. to appeal to U.S. readers (or at least to the U.S. publisher). Not that I think it matters. I don't think having a novel set in the U.S. necessarily brings in more U.S. readers (as it doesn't work with film -- Octopussy did better than AVTAK in the states). But I can easily imagine "the suits" thinking this and it coming up in meetings. Perhaps this explains the rather strangely disconnected Felix Leiter storyline in DMC, which starts in CA. Almost feels put in there just for the U.S. audience (which I didn't mind).

As to JD's "several exotic locales". I just hope they are not weighted evenly. I don't mind a little globe trotting, but I do like there to be one "master" location, know what I mean? Something that defines the book, carries the bulk of the flavor and theme. "James Bond goes to _____." I like being able to think of a book that way.

#34 whiteskwirl

whiteskwirl

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 163 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 08:22 PM

Back to America for a moment (I'm obsessing on the idea of Bond in America today for some reason). I wonder if Bond authors get any pressure (or maybe we should say "encouragement") to set their work at least partially in the U.S. to appeal to U.S. readers (or at least to the U.S. publisher). Not that I think it matters. I don't think having a novel set in the U.S. necessarily brings in more U.S. readers (as it doesn't work with film -- Octopussy did better than AVTAK in the states). But I can easily imagine "the suits" thinking this and it coming up in meetings. Perhaps this explains the rather strangely disconnected Felix Leiter storyline in DMC, which starts in CA. Almost feels put in there just for the U.S. audience (which I didn't mind).

As to JD's "several exotic locales". I just hope they are not weighted evenly. I don't mind a little globe trotting, but I do like there to be one "master" location, know what I mean? Something that defines the book, carries the bulk of the flavor and theme. "James Bond goes to _____." I like being able to think of a book that way.

I'm going to call it: New York City will be the ______ location you're hoping for. That's my prediction. NYC hasn't been the main location for a Bond story yet, has it?

EDIT: Although, Deaver did mention "several exotic locales", so I'm probably wrong. NYC, if it's there, will probably just be a stepping stone to somewhere else. Eh, whatever, I'm standing behind my prediction based on nothing.

Edited by whiteskwirl, 10 June 2010 - 08:23 PM.

#35 Trident

Trident

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2658 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 08:53 PM

EDIT: Although, Deaver did mention "several exotic locales", so I'm probably wrong. NYC, if it's there, will probably just be a stepping stone to somewhere else. Eh, whatever, I'm standing behind my prediction based on nothing.

Actually I think NYC can get pretty exotic, even for the townsfolk.

#36 K1Bond007

K1Bond007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4932 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 10:14 PM

That sounds rather dumb to me. Having Bond in the US doesn't appeal to me as a US reader. Almost the last place I'd like him to be. It's not so bad from time to time, but the US is hardly exotic (at least to me). When was the last time he was there in the novels? The Facts of Death maybe or am I forgetting something?

Can't argue with your "suit" logic. That's probably true.

#37 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 10:24 PM

Yeah, Facts of Death.

I'm fine with Bond in the U.S. LALD, DAF, FSS, NLF, BC, FOD...enjoyed them all.

I'd LOVE a Young Bond adventure set in the U.S. But that's for another thread.

#38 whiteskwirl

whiteskwirl

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 163 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 10:29 PM

I guess I'm the same way as K1Bond007. Bond in America always felt weird to me (especially Texas, for some reason). I'd prefer Bond be elsewhere, probably because, living in America, it doesn't seem that special to me.

That said, I would be fine with Bond in America as long as there's not a lot of pop culture references. I don't want it to feel American, if that makes sense.

#39 Double-Oh Agent

Double-Oh Agent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4325 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 02:03 AM

Yeah, Facts of Death.

I'm fine with Bond in the U.S. LALD, DAF, FSS, NLF, BC, FOD...enjoyed them all.

I'd LOVE a Young Bond adventure set in the U.S. But that's for another thread.

I take it then that you didn't enjoy Goldfinger, The Spy Who Loved Me, Scorpius, and Cold Fall then? B)

#40 Byron

Byron

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1377 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 09:10 AM

What's so exotic about NYC apart from perhaps some interesting history and architecture.

#41 Aris007

Aris007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3037 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 11:08 AM

What's so exotic about NYC apart from perhaps some interesting history and architecture.

I don't think that NYC is exotic at all!

#42 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 05:30 PM

Exotic, for me, is a state of mind. Any place can be made "exotic," especially in the Bond universe.

#43 Harry Fawkes

Harry Fawkes

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2229 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 10:15 PM

I've heard James Bond is coming to Malta G.C. (Fleming once mentioned it in FYEO).

There's a small island here called Filfla. Nobody is alowed to set foot on it. Something is going on there and I don't know what!

HF

And if any body dares say Malta doesn't qualify as exotic I'll whip their B)! :tdown:

#44 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 12:34 AM

Exotic, for me, is a state of mind. Any place can be made "exotic," especially in the Bond universe.

Even Lewisham, South London?