This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

What would you change about the Gardner novels?

37 replies to this topic

#31 AMC Hornet

AMC Hornet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5857 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 02:02 AM

Dear Simon,

Firstly, I hope you did not consider my comments too critical. I would give up a lot to have your father's talent and success.

When I first heard that John Gardner ("author of The Liquidator") had been chosen to pen the new Bond adventures, I remembered having seen and enjoyed the film with Rod Taylor, Trevor Howard and Jill St. John. I found a paperback copy in a used book store, read it, then immediately set out to collect the whole Boysie Oaks series. I remember having to stifle a shout of delight when I finally came across a copy of The Assassination File to complete my collection. In the meantime I enjoyed reading and rereading your father's 007 novels, as well as his other spy stories such as the Herbie Kruger series. I only wish I'd discovered them sooner, to fill the period between reading my last Fleming novel and the release of Licence Renewed.

My first edition hardcover of The Liquidator lives on my bookshelf in its rightful place between John Pearson's Authorized Biography and Licence Renewed. Seriously, if I could change anything about your father's work, it would be to see more new stories still coming from him.

God Bless,

AMC

#32 Simg

Simg

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 83 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 09:48 AM

Thank You dlb007 and Zencat I will now refrain from making anymore comments in case I make a total fool of myself.

SRJG

#33 dlb007

dlb007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 108 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 12:31 PM

Thank You dlb007 and Zencat I will now refrain from making anymore comments in case I make a total fool of myself.

SRJG

Making a fool of oneself is the best part about making your feelings known on a forum :) We appreciate your comments just as much as anyone's, if not more. I want to make one thing clear, not once were you out-of-line in your comments. We all understand where you're coming from. As for making a fool of oneself, I'll have hell to pay if Benson ever has a child who looks at these forums :)

Edited by dlb007, 28 October 2010 - 12:32 PM.

#34 Simg

Simg

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 83 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 10:23 PM

As i have said previously i have not been on the forums for a while and once again thanks for all of your support.
However with this thread the first thing i noticed was the misspelling...

'Garnder'

And yes that did start me off on one... well you know what it's like the red mist descended and the rest is history...

Thank You

SRJG

#35 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 07:35 AM

However with this thread the first thing i noticed was the misspelling...

'Garnder'

And yes that did start me off on one... well you know what it's like the red mist descended and the rest is history...

Thank You

SRJG

Happy to disperse the mist. Sorry about that.

#36 Double-Oh Agent

Double-Oh Agent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4325 posts

Posted 30 October 2010 - 07:48 AM

Hi Simon,

Sorry if my earlier post was one of the ones that offended/upset you. I didn't mean any disrespect toward you or your father even if my last comment in the post came across as a little harsh. (I so did enjoy Sukie Tempesta in Nobody Lives Forever--my favorite novel of your dad's.) Actually, I'm probably one of the few who can honestly say that they liked and enjoyed ALL of your dad's Bond novels. Additionally, it was your dad's No Deals, Mr. Bond that introduced me to the literary world of 007 so I have very fond memories of reading his Bond adventures and always looked forward to the next one.

My response to the thread's question was intended to be similar to how I would respond to a likewise question asking about the films and was not meant to be malicious or mean-spirited toward your father's work. If it came across that way, I am sorry and you have my profound apologies. And as was stated by someone earlier, I am one of those who would greatly endorse a reprinting of your father's Bond novels.

Anyway, take care and I hope you keep returning to CBn. I've enjoyed reading your reminiscences and insights. They're much appreciated.

Sincerely,

Double-Oh Agent

#37 Simg

Simg

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 83 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 10:43 PM

I have just written an apology to all including AMC Hornet and managed to delete it I think....

Here is the gist of it...

Please understand that I do appreciate all the support CBn members give my Father's work, however I do have a little rant about things from time to time. When I do this please remember I mean no disrespect to anyone's views however every now and again certain thing will set me off. I do always to the best of my knowledge apologies after the event.

Simon R J Gardner

#38 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts
  • Location:"Special envoy" no more. As of 7/5/15 elected to office somewhere in Nottinghamshire, England.

Posted 08 November 2010 - 12:35 AM

Dear simg,

You don't need to apologise. Of course you have every right to come to the defence of your father's work.

As I recall, you mentioned me because of the fact that none of the John Gardner books have been translated into films. I'm only a run of the mill fan and am not as well versed as I know one or two CBN people are about the ways of film producers. I suggested that it was the complexity of some of the Gardner Bond plots that might have deterred Eon. It never occurred to me that it would be cheaper to hire screenwriters to make something up and fix it with a Fleming title to give it legitimacy. (quite where they will get future Fleming titles from after the likes of "Risico" and "The Hildebrandt Rarity" have been used is anyone's guess!) Perhaps I should have thought through before posting.

I won't deny that, at times, in some of the Bond novels written by John Gardner, I found the plot twists a bit bewildering. But I own a hardback copy of every one, including a signed copy of the first, and I've read all of them more than once. If I didn't enjoy them I would have given up, even though I did have some reservations about some plot twists and turns.

It seems to me that Eon are missing out on a wealth of stories if they don't make some, if not all of your father's novels into films. "Licence Renewed", for example, would transfer easily to the screen, and with that title would make a perfect introduction film for a future Bond actor. But, if it is cheaper for Eon to hire someone to invent a new story than to film a Bond novel, well, frankly, its their loss ( and the audience's.)

Sincerely,

Guy Haines.