16 replies to this topic

#1 stromberg

stromberg

Commander RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6841 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 10:11 PM

Please discuss everything about the CBn 2010 World Cup Game in this thread.
Don't use this thread to post your predictions to participate in the game.
You can enter the game here

For general discussion on the FIFA World Cup 2010 in South Africa, please use this thread.

#2 O.H.M.S.S.

O.H.M.S.S.

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1162 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 09:26 AM

Nice to see the game will take place. Good luck everybody.

#3 stromberg

stromberg

Commander RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6841 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 09:53 AM

Yep, nice to see that it did happen. Had hoped for a bit more, especially in this international community.
Will compile the list and post it here. No need to hurry. As I said, there won't be anything happening before the the first games in all group have been played.

#4 stromberg

stromberg

Commander RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6841 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 01:32 PM

We're closing in on the first possible points (Argentina is qualified in case Greece doesn't beat Nigeria later today), and I still haven't posted the first list. Sorry for that, terribly busy in the past few days. Will se to get it done by tonight...

#5 Carver

Carver

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1470 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 10:34 PM

My tip for the champions, Argentina, looks like it has substance to it after today B)

#6 stromberg

stromberg

Commander RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6841 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 01:56 PM

Okay, here's the first list, finally.
Attached File  CBnWCG_list_2010.pdf   12.66KB   8 downloads

Was obviously caught by the Slovenia-Slovakia confusion myself, and had Slovenia on my list where it should have been Slovakia B)

Nothing is decided at this point, but it doesn't look to good for those who had confidence in France - looks like Mrs Jim looses a finalist at a rather early stage. But then again, she's the only one who hasn't got England reaching at least the semi-finals - which doesn't look very likely at the moment.

While compiling this list, I was watching the NED-JAP match and waiting for a pizza in the oven. Of course, I did set a clock, but I forgot about the pizza and didn't hear the buzzer because of those frickin' Vuvuzelas. Bah!

#7 O.H.M.S.S.

O.H.M.S.S.

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1162 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 09:19 PM

If you like/dislike vuvuzela's here a video for you B):

http://www.youtube.c...player_embedded

#8 stromberg

stromberg

Commander RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6841 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 12:36 AM

With the last group matches played, here's the first intermediate score.
Attached File  CBnWCG_list_02_2010.pdf   14.01KB   4 downloads

2 players at 22.5 points, 2 at 25 and 2 at 27.5.
Doesn't sound all too spectacular, but the ones who predicted Italy as tournament winner won't be able to achieve that many points in the forthcoming rounds. Even worse for those who went with the suicidal prediction of a France-Italy final...

#9 Trident

Trident

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2658 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 09:44 AM

Many thanks, Heiko! Tremendous work! B)

Hope my finals will work out.

#10 stromberg

stromberg

Commander RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6841 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 01:14 PM

Just in time before the quarterfinals kick off, here’s the updated list (#3). First off, there was a little mistake in list #2: Carver, Trident and Mrs Jim rightfully predicted Mexico, for which they didn’t receive the proper points. This was taken into account and corrected.

Attached File  CBnWCG_list_03_2010.pdf   13.98KB   5 downloads

We all had to pay for the prediction of England making it to the quarterfinals, once again falling for all those same old same old statements of the English press and team that "this time, they're really really good enough and have a real chance of winning the Cup". Well, I, for one am happy with what happened and I’ll gladly accept the loss of those points as the price for that glorious Saturday afternoon. Needless to say I’m German B)

Likewise, many of us saw either France or Italy (or worse: both) reaching the quarterfinals. Bad move. Both were finalists in 2006 - but that’s football.

The current leaders of the game are Trident and Mrs Jim. But while Trident is still able to make 165 points, Mrs Jim - with only two semifinalists left to score points for her - can only reach 75 points and only has a chance of winning in the unlikely event of a Uruguay - Paraguay final. Out of the game is O.H.M.S.S.: as of now, he can only achieve a maximum score of 47.5 points which is less than 4 other players have already achieved. Carver has to hope for the Netherlands winning, because this is the only chance for him to win the game. Same goes for myself with Germany, but this game is not the only reason I hope for them to win. As much as I'd love to see the "Diego Show" to continue, I'm afraid it's going to end tomorrow.

#11 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 02:18 PM

Mrs Jim will not be happy.

Especially if I win and am suitably humble and sympathetic about it.

#12 Trident

Trident

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2658 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 04:17 PM

Ugh, my finalist and predicted cup winner has just become history. So much for Brazil. Still, great game Netherlands! Hoping for a Germany - Netherlands final now.

And on a completely unrelated note, I haven't the slightest how I came so far in this game. B)

#13 stromberg

stromberg

Commander RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6841 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 06:44 PM

And here’s the new update already, as tonight’s results wont change anything at all - no one had Uruguay or Ghana on the list for making it to the quarterfinals.
Today’s elimination of Brazil threw a spanner into everyone’s works. Those who did not predict them to make the final (O.H.M.S.S. and Mrs Jim) lost their respective finalists even earlier. Everyone else lost at least 30 Points today, and Trident lost a solid 70 by losing his predicted winner. Another minor error in the previous list: I had Mrs Jim on it with 25 points in Round 2. That was wrong, she only won 20, sorry for that (I was never really good at maths).
Attached File  CBnWCG_list_04_2010.pdf   14.26KB   0 downloads

So, what are everyone’s chances now?
- O.H.M.S.S. has finished the game with 37.5 points, as the last of his teams is out and he can’t score any more points. Better luck next time.
- Carver was lucky to win his much needed 10 points with the Netherlands today, but still needs Argentina to win the Cup in order to win this game.
- Jim needs Argentina to win the quarterfinal and Spain to win the Cup.
- Trident needs Argentina to win the quarterfinal and Spain to make the final, but loose it.
- Mrs Jim can’t win the game any more. She can only score points with Argentina winning the quarterfinal, but almost everyone else will win those points, too, so this won’t be of help. Should this happen and Spain not make it to the semifinals, she will at least achieve and even score with Mr Jim, which presumably will make her happier than him, especially as according to the rules of the game, she’ll win over him as she won 30 points in the first round, as opposed to him winning only 25.
- myself, I need Germany to win the quarterfinal and Spain to loose the quarterfinal or win the Cup (I prefer the former).

#14 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 07:15 PM

- Jim needs Argentina to win the quarterfinal and Spain to win the Cup.

- Mrs Jim can’t win the game any more. She can only score points with Argentina winning the quarterfinal, but almost everyone else will win those points, too, so this won’t be of help. Should this happen and Spain not make it to the semifinals, she will at least achieve and even score with Mr Jim, which presumably will make her happier than him, especially as according to the rules of the game, she’ll win over him as she won 30 points in the first round, as opposed to him winning only 25.

It's people like you what cause unrest.

#15 stromberg

stromberg

Commander RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6841 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 06:29 PM

It's people like you what cause unrest.

End of unrest B)

Surprisingly early, the game is basically over. With the somewhat embarrassing result that I win.
Attached File  CBnWCG_list_05_2010.pdf   14.21KB   3 downloads

The only team left to score points for anyone isSpain. Jim and myself are the ones who have them as finalists and Cup winner, but with Germany winning over Argentina yesterday, I am at a current total of 70 points as opposed to Jim’s 60, so he won’t be able to catch me. Being in a generous mood after yesterday’s match and in order to keep the game alive until Wednesday (sic!), I decided to change the rules a little bit: Runner-up will receive the prize.

Following O.H.M.S.S., both Carver and Mrs Jim are out of the game: they both lost their last team to score points for them, Argentina.
If Spain gets eliminated on Wednesday, all points will remain ‘as is’. If Spain makes it to the final, both Trident an Jim - who is currently 5 points behind Trident - score identical points. Jim still needs Spain to win the Cup. This is the only chance he has to catch up, as Trident predicted Brazil to win. With scoring at least 10 points more than Mrs Jim, he has already achieved a major goal and may understand my sincere hope that no one will score any more points in this game, as I’d rather see him taking the 3rd place than my team. :tdown:

#16 Carver

Carver

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1470 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 07:33 PM

Sodding Argies, had them as odds-on to win! :tdown: Ah well, I'm rooting for Netherlands now B)

#17 Trident

Trident

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2658 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 05:16 AM

Many thanks Heiko. Tremendous fun! Of course I hope I won't make any more points by Spain reaching the finals. B)