11 replies to this topic

#1 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 06:18 PM

So does Project X, with its modern setting, spell the end of James Bond period adventures? No more Young Bond? No possibility of War Bond?

I put the question to the boss herself and got a nice quote here:

Could Project X spell the end of Young Bond?

#2 Brisco

Brisco

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 220 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 06:36 PM

That's good news! Thanks for getting the quote, Zencat! As I just wrote in the other thread, I like the idea of "unsticking" Bond from time and continuity. I hope they continue to give us new projects set in both timelines--or any time! Bond himself transcends any particular time period. He works well in the Cold War, but he can also work out of it. If they continue doing standalone novels by big authors, I hope each author gets to choose when he wants to set his book. Fifties or Sixties or now or even Seventies or Eighties if they so desire! If they're all one-shots, what does it matter? I feel freed by this notion as a fan, like I don't have to trouble myself with continuity issues at all. It's nice not to worry about that stuff!

#3 Jeff007

Jeff007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2076 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 06:36 PM

Thanks for that zencat!

#4 Double-Oh Agent

Double-Oh Agent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4325 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 01:10 AM

Thanks zencat. Good quote from Corinne Turner. It's interesting that IFP plans to keep giving us Bond in current times and in the past. It's probably a good idea in that it gives them some flexibility on where to put Bond and it also pleases both sides of the fan base (Cold War Bond or modern Bond). As long as future authors don't cross over previous author's works with their plot timelines, I have no problem with it.

#5 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 01:39 AM

It is a good quote. Sort of reassures us while still keeping things mysterious (and keeps all options open). Corinne is terrific. Very accessible and friendly.

#6 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 02:22 AM

Great news Zen, especially if it means we get more Higson. B)

#7 Trident

Trident

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2658 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 05:01 AM

B)

#8 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 07:26 AM

Nice work, zencat. Glad to hear IFP don't have some bold new plan consisting only of products that are inconsistent with their quality output over the past few years - and Devil May Care. B)

Speaking of which, I'll be intrigued to see how much Devil May Care plays a role in IFP's future marketing strategies. It's neither an Ian Fleming original nor a part of this new, contemporary series (or what I'm assuming will be a series of some sort). That sort of leaves it in limbo - not that everyone hasn't already done well enough out of it, I suppose.

#9 Trident

Trident

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2658 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 09:36 AM

Nice work, zencat. Glad to hear IFP don't have some bold new plan consisting only of products that are inconsistent with their quality output over the past few years - and Devil May Care. B)

Speaking of which, I'll be intrigued to see how much Devil May Care plays a role in IFP's future marketing strategies. It's neither an Ian Fleming original nor a part of this new, contemporary series (or what I'm assuming will be a series of some sort). That sort of leaves it in limbo - not that everyone hasn't already done well enough out of it, I suppose.

Oh, I do think DMC's status is clear enough, the centenary tribute to Ian Fleming. Period. Not much more to say about it. In 98 years it's bound to get company by the bicentenary tribute, which hopefully will turn out to live up to the occasion.

Until then it's better left well alone.

#10 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 02:28 PM

Good question about DMC. Because of the different publisher and "writing as Ian Fleming" experiment, it could become an odd man out like the Pearson book.

#11 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 01:51 AM

Can a mod move this into the new Jeffery Deaver section? Not sure where it belongs exactly, but why not there as it is Project X inspired.

#12 MattofSteel

MattofSteel

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2482 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 03:50 AM

Oh, I do think DMC's status is clear enough, the centenary tribute to Ian Fleming. Period. Not much more to say about it. In 98 years it's bound to get company by the bicentenary tribute, which hopefully will turn out to live up to the occasion.

Until then it's better left well alone.

I've never really understood all the DMC hate, personally. It's definitely plodding in spots, and can't quite decide whether it wants to be a film, or a novel. But I certainly thought it was far from unpalatable.

There's a difference between imitation and emulation, in my book. Whereas the Craig films have thus far done a phenomenal job of emulating the Connery films and Fleming literature, DMC perhaps just tried to imitate a little too closely?

I wouldn't say the pacing, etc. of Fleming's novels was exactly rocket fast in comparison to DMC. Always got the impression Faulks wrote a 1950s novel fifty years too late - intentionally.

Ah, well. Deaver will no doubt actively try and avoid similar criticism.