This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Isn't it a shame that the reason Connery's autobio didn't happen.

10 replies to this topic

#1 Colossus

Colossus

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1490 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 10:22 PM

...was because the author helping him was prying too much into his private life? When i'm sure the rest of us couldn't give a hoot about but instead want to know DEARLY what it was like to battle Robert Shaw, what it was like to drive the Aston Martin or kiss Ursulla Andress? What a shame!

#2 Safari Suit

Safari Suit

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5099 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 10:56 AM

I suppose, but there's little point in writing an autobiography if you aren't prepared to "open up". Don't get me wrong, I'm not interested in "dirt", but (from what I know) I suspect Connery's autobiography would have been too dry and gaurded to be particularly inspiring.

#3 RazorBlade

RazorBlade

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 01:21 PM

I respect Mr. Connery's right to privacy. I remember that he is also guarding the privacy of others. So it's a good thing. I would have loved to know more of the story from his point of view regarding the making of the bond films plus working with Hitchcock and some other things. He could have discussed some of his roles and his decisions for accepting them. He could have elaborated on his views of Scottish nationalism. So not getting the autobio cuts both ways.

#4 Brian Flagg

Brian Flagg

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1167 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 02:02 PM

I agree with the argument that too many autobios are so often fluff ghost jobs of little interest. We may have to wait some years before we get anything resembling an interesting Connery biography.

Off-Topic: Some great bios that come to mind are Lee Server's book on Robert Mitchum*, Baby, I Don't Care and Randy Roberts and James Olson's excellent John Wayne: American for cultural context and fascinating personal anecdotes.

And by all means, avoid any and all biographies published immediately after an artist's death; exploitive and just crap all around.

*Look him up, kids; coolest man who ever lived.

#5 Attempting Re-entry

Attempting Re-entry

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 203 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 08:29 AM

Is the book Being a Scot worth a read...?

#6 Lachesis

Lachesis

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 394 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 12:18 PM

So it wasn't stopped as a result from legal action by Kevin McClory because it mentions an actor that once appeared in a film he produced??

#7 Hotwinds

Hotwinds

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 441 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 02:12 PM

Yes it is a shame. I wish he would let it all hang out and do the book. I suppose he is still a very private person and is uneasy about this kind of thing.

For some reason I have not gotten Rogers book yet.
What is the basic review of his book?
I dont remember seeing to much about it on this site.

...was because the author helping him was prying too much into his private life? When i'm sure the rest of us couldn't give a hoot about but instead want to know DEARLY what it was like to battle Robert Shaw, what it was like to drive the Aston Martin or kiss Ursulla Andress? What a shame!

#8 ChickenStu

ChickenStu

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 07:55 PM

It is a shame. I would love to have read this one.

#9 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 08:15 PM

...was because the author helping him was prying too much into his private life?

Is that really the reason? Or is it because Sean Connery has a hair-tigger personality who tends to blow-up and bow-out of deals for any perceived offensive. Could have always gotten a different author if he wasn't getting along with the first one.

Heck, I'm sure it really had to do with money. B)

#10 dodge

dodge

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5068 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 06:05 PM

I can live without the book. But, his privacy be darned, the one thing I do have a burning desire to know is whether he and La Bardot got it on in the filming of Shalako!

#11 godwulf

godwulf

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 74 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 03:28 PM

Off-Topic: Some great bios that come to mind are Lee Server's book on Robert Mitchum*, Baby, I Don't Care and Randy Roberts and James Olson's excellent John Wayne: American for cultural context and fascinating personal anecdotes.

Highly recommended: What's it All About? by Michael Caine (Caine's encounter with John Wayne in the men's room of the Beverly Hills Hotel, and his tales of the making of Zulu, alone are worth the price of the book), and The Actor's Life by Charlton Heston.