14 replies to this topic

#1 License To Kill

License To Kill

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1556 posts

Posted 30 October 2002 - 10:52 PM

We all know that us Yanks will not see DAD until the 22nd of November. While our neighbors across the pond will see it a few days before us. I realize that Blue Eyes and the CBn staff created the Spoiler Forums, (for reviews and what not) but I think I will stay off CBn until I have seen the movie, because If not my mind will lure itself to a review of the movie and it will be ruined and I will be severely pissed off. My question to you guys is: Will you visit CBn during the lag time between releases?

~LTK~

#2 Spectre001

Spectre001

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 229 posts

Posted 30 October 2002 - 10:57 PM

Lucky you. We have to wait until January the 2nd in NZ.

#3 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 30 October 2002 - 11:01 PM

I'll be here. But I probably won't read the spoiler reviews until I've seen the film. Despite the fact that I will read the novelisation before I see the film.

#4 PaulZ108

PaulZ108

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1569 posts

Posted 30 October 2002 - 11:04 PM

I won't be here. I'm sure most of us know better than to give out spoilers, but I can just see myself finding something like "anyway, wasn't it awesome how soandso returned at the end of the movie?!" in a completely unrelated thread.

I'll fight CBn withdrawal with GTA Vice City and Nightfire.

#5 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 30 October 2002 - 11:06 PM

Just a reminder that Brad Tirpitz posted the other day saying that he will put his review of DIE ANOTHER DAY (in both spoiler-filled and spoiler-free versions) on CBn (in the Mission Debriefing forum) once he has seen the film at a London press screening on 8 November.

I look forward to reading his reviews once I've seen DAD myself, but I'll do my darndest to keep myself away from them until then. Actually, I'm really looking forward to reading other CBners' reviews of DAD.

Basically, the plan is to proceed with caution on CBn from 9 November onwards - Brad Tirpitz's review should be among the first to come online. Hopefully, I shall sit down to DAD without having read any reviews or exposed myself to any more spoilers than I already have, but I don't think I'll be able to see it until late November or early December.

#6 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 30 October 2002 - 11:08 PM

Originally posted by Mister Asterix
I'll be here. But I probably won't read the spoiler reviews until I've seen the film. Despite the fact that I will read the novelisation before I see the film.

Do you plan to post a review of the novelisation on CBn?

Also, good point from Paul Z108: once reviews are posted on this site, even though they may be placed securely in Mission Debriefing, you can bet that juicy details will immediately leak out into the other forums.

#7 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 30 October 2002 - 11:09 PM

I think interest is really going to peak at CBn. The films about two weeks away, and today there were four pages of 'todays posts' and there are currently 53 users online. That's nearing a new record!

As the film gradually gets released in both the UK and the US, I expect that people may flood in.

But guys, instead of avoiding CBn forums, why not just avoid Todays Posts and stick to some of the non-DAD discussion forums?

#8 Spectre001

Spectre001

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 229 posts

Posted 30 October 2002 - 11:16 PM

I probably couldn't avoid them if I wanted to and will just have to hope that not too much is given away in the titles.

#9 brendan007

brendan007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1512 posts

Posted 30 October 2002 - 11:20 PM

im gonna have to avoid the whole forums. even on the non related DAD forums, people will still end up saying something that will give away something, it already happens sometimes now, it will happen once everyone has seen in UK and USA. i dont want to take the chance

#10 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 30 October 2002 - 11:24 PM

Originally posted by Blue Eyes

But guys, instead of avoiding CBn forums, why not just avoid Todays Posts and stick to some of the non-DAD discussion forums?

I was just thinking that, as it would seem a bit disloyal to steer clear of CBn entirely (although I have to be honest and admit that the idea did cross my mind), and rather ironic given that, as Blue Eyes, says, interest will be peaking and the release of DAD is what we've all been waiting for for so long. It would be a bit like helping to organise a great party and then leaving it while it was in full swing.

But a plea to Blue Eyes and all CBn staff: please be vigilant (I know you will be and don't really need reminders) and delete all inadvertent spoilers as soon as you see them in the non-DAD forums.

#11 PaulZ108

PaulZ108

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1569 posts

Posted 30 October 2002 - 11:25 PM

Originally posted by Blue Eyes

I've got this fear that someone will excitedly mention something in a completely unrelated topic and I'll see it before it can be corrected.

Besides, it'd also be a perfect time to try to cram in 19 films in 2 days...well maybe not ALL 19...

#12 WarBird

WarBird

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 370 posts

Posted 31 October 2002 - 04:07 PM

I going to refrain myself or cut back from visiting this forum until I see DAD. Just incase I don't spoil anything for myself.

#13 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 31 October 2002 - 05:39 PM

Will I stop visiting CBN at all? No, Will I see some spoilers that I would rather avoid, maybe. The truth is, while no one really wants to be spoiled, I think nothing will beat seeing the film on the big screen, no matter how much you know.

Its just like the car flipping over in the trailer. When I read about it all that time ago here, I thought, that sounds nifty. Now that I've actually seen it in motion, I cant believe how utterly cool it is. See my point?

#14 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 31 October 2002 - 06:22 PM

Originally posted by JimmyBond
The truth is, while no one really wants to be spoiled, I think nothing will beat seeing the film on the big screen, no matter how much you know.

Its just like the car flipping over in the trailer. When I read about it all that time ago here, I thought, that sounds nifty. Now that I've actually seen it in motion, I cant believe how utterly cool it is. See my point?

Agreed 100%, JimmyBond. It's true that while it can be annoying to read spoilers one would be better off not knowing, it's possible (without too much effort) to put foreknowledge into the back of one's mind, settle down in the cinema seat and be entertained as the film washes over you.

This works even in extreme circumstances, where spoilers really are spoilers. For example, I knew the final twists of both THE SIXTH SENSE and UNBREAKABLE before seeing them, but still enjoyed them.

#15 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 31 October 2002 - 06:30 PM

You make a great point JimmyBond and I'm with you.

A verse from the song Goldeneye comes to mind.

"You'll never know how I watched you from the shadows as a child...."