New book from DK Publishing focuses on 007's classic cars and vehicles

#2 Dell Deaton

Dell Deaton

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1194 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 04:57 AM

Looking forward to this and a potentially broader, fresh perspective on on the subject.

We had an interesting Thread here not too long ago regarding the actual Aston Martin types beneath the badging shown in The Living Daylights. Perhaps some added value to that discussion as well.

#3 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 04:58 AM

I like the sound of this. A good precursor to Activision's upcoming Bond racing game. Wouldn’t be surprised if it is included in a few pre-order deals.

I’ve been wanting a new Bond compilation book for a while, not just a revised past edition. DK usually do a great job.

#4 TheSaint

TheSaint

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3067 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 05:20 AM

While I'm sure this will be good, it's a shame Dave Worrall never did his book on the various Bond cars. If The Most Famous Car in The World was any indication, it would've been amazing!

#5 Automan

Automan

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 210 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 01:55 PM

Just in time for my birthday

hint hint

#6 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 07:54 PM

Very selective these days about what I add to the Bond shelf. I like the idea of specialty books, but this is one I'll need to inspect in the flesh before I buy. It's gotta offer something a little beyond the obvious.

#7 Mark_Hazard

Mark_Hazard

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 08:35 PM

While I'm sure this will be good, it's a shame Dave Worrall never did his book on the various Bond cars. If The Most Famous Car in The World was any indication, it would've been amazing!

Do we know that this isn't Dave - I know he had a book of this type in the wings some years ago - and there isn't an actual author mentioned on the Amazon site.

#8 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 08:59 PM

If it were Dave doing this book, well, then it would be a must buy.

#9 Lancaster

Lancaster

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 163 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 03:48 PM

Saw this book and the other new DK book today in Waterstones here in the UK. They are nice but are mainly just pictures from each film with a couple of lines of dialogue. If anyone is expecting an indepth look at bond and the vehicles then it is not this. Lovely to look at but not much content.

Thought I would not pay shop price and order off Amazon only to get home and find it says they are not available. B)

#10 Mr Slate

Mr Slate

Cadet

• Crew
  • 18 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 09:23 AM

I do believe that Dave Worrall did act ina consultant capacity of somekind for DK's previous Bond release... so it'll be interesting to see if he had any input into this effort.

#11 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 10:05 AM

The DK books are usually a bit rubbish, are they not?

#12 Mark_Hazard

Mark_Hazard

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 08:51 PM

I do believe that Dave Worrall did act ina consultant capacity of somekind for DK's previous Bond release... so it'll be interesting to see if he had any input into this effort.

No mention of Dave in the acknowledgements (not up to his standards), so perhaps there's hope of a decent Bond Cars & Vehicles book in the future.

#13 Brannigan

Brannigan

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 26 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 04:51 PM

Here in the US, Target chain stores released a paperback book with QOS that was about all of the Bond vehicles seen in the movie. It too was published by DK. I wonder if this book is simply a larger format from the Target edition version?

#14 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts
  • Location:"Special envoy" no more. As of 7/5/15 elected to office somewhere in Nottinghamshire, England.

Posted 17 June 2010 - 07:48 PM

Saw this book and the other new DK book today in Waterstones here in the UK. They are nice but are mainly just pictures from each film with a couple of lines of dialogue. If anyone is expecting an indepth look at bond and the vehicles then it is not this. Lovely to look at but not much content.

Thought I would not pay shop price and order off Amazon only to get home and find it says they are not available. B)

I agree with you. I've seen this book and its companion volume "The Book Of Bond" at Waterstones in Nottingham. Well produced, good pictures but lacking text. The other two books in series, about the girls and the villains, are expected later this year. I'll be surprised if they don't follow the same pattern. Collect the set, and you'll have what are basically four miniature "coffee table" books, that you can fit on one coffee table. :tdown:

#15 scaramunga

scaramunga

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1083 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 01:37 AM

On Amazon both books can be previewed..

http://www.amazon.co...pd_bxgy_b_img_b

http://www.amazon.co...pd_bxgy_b_img_b

I'm still on the fence about picking them up, but the layout and covers are very cool. The covers have almost a fabric appearance which is different.

#16 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 02:08 AM

These books are embarassingly bad. Full page pictures, probably taken off Google Images, with sparse text slapped on. Quite insulting to put on the book shelf and ask good money for, frankly.

#17 Goodnight

Goodnight

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1917 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 09:33 PM

I have the other one, about the films. It doesn't tell of any behind the scenes gossip. The info it does tell about the films is stuff any half hearted bond fan already knows, but the photographs are excellent.

:D

#18 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts
  • Location:"Special envoy" no more. As of 7/5/15 elected to office somewhere in Nottinghamshire, England.

Posted 06 October 2010 - 05:00 PM

The DK books about the Bond girls and the villains are finally out. And as expected, they follow the same format as The Book Of Bond and Bond Cars and Vehicles - plenty of pictures, choice quotes from the films but not much in the way of explanatory text or background to the films. Well produced though.